Metropolys» Forums » General

Subject: Open goals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Secret endgame goals tend to rub me the wrong way. Would having all player goals open from the beginning be detrimental?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Cherlet
United Kingdom
Sevenoaks
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Open neighborhood-goal cards wouldn't be so bad, but open area-goal cards would be very difficult. It would make certain area-goal cards almost impossible to achieve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
But in the case of Metropolys it is rather easy to determine what the players goals might be by the middle or later in the game so it adds a small element of deduction/bluffing to the game.

I think it could be played fine with open info, but without the uncertainty it might make the game slightly more calculable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
garygarison wrote:
Secret endgame goals tend rub me the wrong way. Would having all player goals open from the beginning be detrimental?

Yes. It removes a layer of misdirection from the entire thing, and could in some cases lead to collusion and lockouts. That said, it is not the purpose of the goals to remain hidden until the end: there are too few of them, and some lead to rather characteristic and recognisable play styles. But the time experienced players need to work out who has what is sufficient for the more 'brittle' goals to have some chance of succeeding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Thanks, all. I'll give it a go with closed objectives instead of just diving in with full disclosure, as I typically do.

Do the considerations of open/closed change if games are strictly 2-player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
I've rarely played with just 2... but you at least remove the main culprit of playing with open goals, collusion. That said, the game is likely to become very calculable, and I'm not sure there is sufficient variation and/or future uncertainty in that calculation to make the game interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Do you not like it with two, Maarten? Or do you just not have the opportunity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Something else entirely: I tend to forget one can play with 2, too blush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Walker
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
badge
what the chit!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only had the chance to play with 2. Perhaps after playing with 3 or 4 I would never want to go back to 2, but I have quite enjoyed it so far (around 8 plays)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Cary, I like it best with two, by some margin. Try it with hidden goals, I don't think it should bother you too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.