Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Collins
Canada
Sydney
NS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this game up other day and have played a number of hands with my wife, and so far we are really enjoying it.
The only issue we have had so far is that it seems when one person gets more than a two pirate advantage, it becomes very difficult for the other player to make any kind of a comeback.
I haven't ruled out the fact that I'm just bad at deck building, since I'm usually on the losing end, but I'm just wondering if anybody else experienced this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pace
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I am anxious to see other reply's to this question, but first of all- thank you for learning, and playing it! The inquiry is great. As the creator I love to discuss game play and strategy, so I will give you my opinion here first. Deck building is a HUGE aspect. For example, if you play a weak card on the first turn (a one gold card), and your opponent counters with a Captain, Sloop, Officer, or something really good- I'm sure you have seen the results. The higher gold cards will just kill the weakling, and also do not die very easily. Therefore, the higher gold cards are more likely to accumulate on your side, giving you more attacks per turn than your opponent. Then you can start to play your weaker cards for support... If you fall far behind early in the game- it can be difficult to catch up unless you have cards like Brethren or Rangers in your deck. These allow you to play multiple cards per turn, in preparation for a comeback. A good deck will usually always beat one that is scattered, or not really themed for these sort of reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamer Morad

Pasadena
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes we are having the same issue. We are doing some testing on different scenarios and theme decks to try and see the strengths and weaknesses. We'll post are finding here shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamer Morad

Pasadena
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont have the numbers here but I will give you a general idea of our findings...

When we first picked up this game we imagined rows of pirates (crews of 3 and 4 etc) on the table shooting and fighting each other in these epic battles of card flippage (hitting the deck) unfortunately this has not been the case mostly. What ends up happening is one player gets an early lead usually due to the luck in the game (either from initial draw or hitting) and then decimate the other players pirates as they are deployed 1 at time as their force continues to grow.

For example I have been trying a themed deck of Privateer, Artishaan, Pirateer, and Pirate (as the base with obviously a few other cards sprinkled in) as these cards ideally have good synergy. But we are running into the above problem we cant get them out fast enough for them to really grow their strength as a gang and play off of each other.

#Current General conclusions:
1. majority of the pirates could be buffed up by 1 Hp so they last a little longer which really helps the building up a crew on the table. I think our group is concluding that the base HP should be 2 instead of 1 and then apply that ratio across the board etc. OR it should be more common to get multiple (2) pirates out a turn and let 3 be the exception

2. the Ranger is one of the best balanced cards we think you really got the ratio right on this one... the price is right and the HP is right because he is so deadly. The Musketoon has a 75% chance out of a standard 52 deck of cards and the Dagger 65%. Same goes for the Buccaneer very well balanced.

3. In a 20g game Ranger Flagbearer Instructor will chew anything up just about. Its been common for the player with the Rangers to get 4 pirates out with in 2 turns playing and expensive deck with fewer cards. Which helps boost the percentage of drawing them early...blah blah blah (play MTG much hmmm) We are still testing counters to this deck.

Keep in mind we are playing a 2 person game with only 1 set as we believe this is the core. We are pulling for you Nick and for this game to be a big success as we do enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Pace
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thank you, Tamer.. your thoughts are much appreciated. You have figured out that 2 HP+ units are a much better play early game, as the chances of them living and accumulating your army is better. But the 1 HP units are indeed a good value if used correctly- Please see my response to the first reply on this thread for more insights I have on the topic. It is well thought with a colossal amount of play testing behind it. The value of deck building and turn order is what I would emphasize, which gives a better player the edge at all times. Please feel free to always post about anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.