Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondered if there was any updates on potential release dates? I've been looking but haven't really seen anything. Trying to plan a purchase that involves it, don't want it to be held up too long because of this. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Just wondered if there was any updates on potential release dates? I've been looking but haven't really seen anything. Trying to plan a purchase that involves it, don't want it to be held up too long because of this. Thanks.

There are currently no signs that the ownership dispute has been cleared up. It could be resolved tomorrow or 5 years from now. Plan accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

There are currently no signs that the ownership dispute has been cleared up. It could be resolved tomorrow or 5 years from now. Plan accordingly.

There are signs, just not official announcements. Fantasy Flight will most likely publish Merchant of Venus, and Stronghold Games will publish Magic Realm. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/776172/stronghold-games-magi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I really hope they do well. I'm sure MoV will but not so much about MR, given today's modern gamers' expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
mugs wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

There are signs, just not official announcements. Fantasy Flight will most likely publish Merchant of Venus, and Stronghold Games will publish Magic Realm. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/776172/stronghold-games-magi...

Given that Hasbro has stated in the past that they didn't hold the rights to Magic Realm I wouldn't take that as much of a sign. If you read through the trademark thread in this forum you'll see that while FFG is ahead in the filing portion neither company will be awarded the Merchant of Venus trademark until they release the game. Also that thread is from nearly four months ago. If it was a done deal at the time and just awaiting announcement it would be announced by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
mugs wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

Given that Hasbro has stated in the past that they didn't hold the rights to Magic Realm I wouldn't take that as much of a sign. If you read through the trademark thread in this forum you'll see that while FFG is ahead in the filing portion neither company will be awarded the Merchant of Venus trademark until they release the game. Also that thread is from nearly four months ago. If it was a done deal at the time and just awaiting announcement it would be announced by now.

From what I gather from that thread, though, is that FFG has the initial rights to the trademark, whereas Stronghold doesn't. FFG won't be officially awarded the trademark until they release a game with that name, but basically it seems like Stronghold cannot do so under that name right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
mugs wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
Bruiser419 wrote:

Sorry I didn't elaborate - the signs I was referring to are interviews with Stephen Buonocore and things Tom Vasel hinted at on The Dice Tower (he apparently has access to information from Stronghold). Everything they've said has given me the impression that Fantasy Flight will end up publishing Merchant of Venus. The Magic Realm thing may or may not be related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's website lists Merchant of Venus's release date as "2nd Qtr. 2012" (which is rapidly running out.)

I talked to several board game dealers at Kublacon this weekend, none had any definite idea on its release.

Not an encouraging sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to print and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not on a boat! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Time to print and play.

I have a copy of the original (though I did have to PnP a couple tokens that have been lost over the years).

Edit: Probably take it off the upcoming order and order it at a later date unless things change in the next month or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this pre-order sale on e-bay it's being released on 6/27

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adamb2k9 wrote:
According to this pre-order sale on e-bay it's being released on 6/27

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

The description says "Pre Sale MERCHANT OF VENUS BOARD GAME Estimated arrival 6 27 2012"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If FFG releases it I wouldn't be surprised if its an unannounced GenCon release available (and sold out) on Thursday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, estimated ... But they must have gotten that date from somewhere. Why would they make it up ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
adamb2k9 wrote:
Yes, estimated ... But they must have gotten that date from somewhere. Why would they make it up ...

Why not, retailers make up release dates all the time based on rumors, or just guesses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm extremely skeptical of that date. As Scott noted, retailers make up dates all the time to push for pre-orders. But on top of that, SOP for FFG is to start doing hype-building previews of new games a couple months in advance of the release. They've been completely silent on MoV since the original announcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I spoke about the project of a "Wings of War - Burning Drachens" set in an interview, a shop took a put that name in front of the previous WoW box and started pre-sales. Months before not only the release or tye production, but even that the graphician started making the layout of the game itself... Do not trust pre-sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pizio
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Another year, another support drive, another silly Over text
badge
Which way to the nearest cliff?
mbmbmbmbmb
HauRuck wrote:
One I would hope it would be FFG given I paid my money already to preorder a copy printed by FFG. Many many months ago too I might add.

Fixed that for you.

I hope that Stronghold wins out in the end because I feel they will respect the game more. I expect FFG to muddle around with the rules to modernize the game. That being said I fear that I will not get my wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, 2Q 2012 is about up(what is it now, about 4-5 days), so I don't think FFG is going to make it....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG is publishing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q !

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmb
I didn't read the entire description page, but it appears the board will be double sided--the original map on one and an updated version on the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just pre-ordered this on coolstuffinc.com - they too, show an estmated date of 2nd QTR 2012 - go figure shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Summerer
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Check out my audiobooks!
badge
Will talk for food!
mbmbmbmbmb
Current estimate is Essen 2012, according to FFG's interview on The Dice Tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
AmazingIntern wrote:
Current estimate is Essen 2012, according to FFG's interview on The Dice Tower.

And I'm sure you are currently impulsively marking this on every calender you find Eric, even those of friends ad relatives

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.