Popular Tags: [View All]
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feld has expansions for his great hits such as Notre Dame, In the Year of the Dragon, and Castles of Burgundy, and I'm hoping he has something in store for Trajan (and Macao too).

I think Trajan is a game that could benefit from modular expansions, so players could pick and choose how much complexity, randomness, interaction etc they want.

Aside from new types of bonus tiles, here are some of my modular ideas:

New pile of Trajan Tiles:

This is meant to increase player interaction. The new pile would be a mixture of some very nice benefits:

+3 action chit
14 points
double wild
4 workers that can be mixed in either military and/or worker camp
draw 4 shipping cards

These Trajan tiles do not act like regular Trajan tiles, and are not acquired with the Trajan action, so they are NOT placed on the player boards. Instead, one special Trajan tile (the one at the top of the pile) is available for anyone to activate.

It is activated by choosing the action where the wooden Trajan marker is on each players' board, AND matching the 3 colors indicated on the tile.

The three 3 colors makes this slightly more difficult to activate. It will add some brain burn, but the fact that its activation is possible by all players, should add some great player interaction. It will also add some strategic importance to taking the Trajan action to move the wooden Trajan marker to a more favorable spot.

Need Cards and a 4th ship

Cards with needs on them would be shuffled into the deck.
2 players: 1 of each need (3 total)
3 players: 2 of each need (6 total)
4 players: 3 of each need (9 total)

Need cards can be played directly from hand to fulfill needs at the end of each year.

A fourth ship would be introduced. It will accept any need, tile or card, for 6-13-21 points on one side, and 5-11-18 points on the other side.

Each year, 1 of the 4 ships will be drawn randomly to start on the lower point side. This does add a bit of randomness, but I think it will increase some tension via push-your-luck. There is no guarantee that ship you are planning for will be on the high point side then next year.

In addition, it will increase player interaction for players to take need tiles that they don't necessarily need to fulfill the year quota, since they can ship them too. This is balanced by the fact that needs can also be acquired via shipping action. Also, the need cards will add some hidden information gamemanship/bluffing.

Another possible way to introduce the fourth ship might be to only make 3 of the 4 ships available each year, but this may add too much randomness.

Event cards

One event card is drawn randomly at the beginning of the year that affects that year. Edit: 4 events per game

Possible events that affect everyone equally:

Legionnaires placed earn 2 more points this year (or less)
Workers doing construction earn 2 more points this year (or less)
Shipping action is draw 3 keep 1, or draw 4 keep 2, or (draw 1 keep 1)
Senate action earns 2 more points (or less)
Slow year: time track marker is moved 2 spots less (or faster)
Plentiful year: Draw 3 more forum tiles this year, and refill tiles in regions WITH legionnaires also

Possible events that have catch up mechanism:

Player with lowest number of senate votes chooses 1 less need to fulfill at end of year(this should make for some nice bluffing and player interaction for highest/lowest votes)

Player with lowest number of points at end of year draws additional bonus tile for free, and uses the lower point side (again, this would make for some good tension...scoring points now versus later)

Let me know what you guys think and add your own ideas too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I havent played this game yet, but from the videos Ive watched there seems to be so much going on that the game doesnt need an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I havent played this game yet, but from the videos Ive watched there seems to be so much going on that the game doesnt need an expansion.

I wouldn't mind one! There is a lot going on, but not any more than other medium-heavy games. Honestly, half way through your first game you'll think 'oh, this isn't too bad' or maybe even sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

Probably not. It's a great game by itself, but there will always be room for people who want more variation for replayability, or want more player interaction, maybe a bigger endgame bonus, or even more avenues for strategy.

A modular expansion would suit this game well if Feld were to do one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The special Trajan tiles idea is not bad.
I had already thought about additional Trajan tiles that would work like others:
Quote:
3 or 4PV + take an available Trajan tile and place it on any free spot around your circle
–3PV + resolve any available Trajan tile

Regarding the fourth ship, I like the idea too, but I would change it to:
Quote:
Every quarter, only 3 boats are available. At the end of each quarter, move all boats up one space. The topmost boat will be unavailable for the next quarter and the last unavailable boat is placed on the downmost space.

Events might be nice. I love the way they work in Québec and we could find something similar in Trajan. The way you have designed them might create disparities, by impacting negatively or positively some players' main strategies. Why not something like this, more neutral and that introduces some different playing (still one event per quarter):
Quote:
- Additional Construction option: remove two of your workers from the construction field and place them back into the workers' camp. You may not create discontinuities in your chain of workers.
- Additional Military option: remove one of your legionaries from the regions and place it back into the workers' camp.
- Pay 5PV: while seeding, put 2 markers in the same tray
- Forum action: you may play a Shipping action instead. And vice versa.
- Construction: any bonus action you get this year is doubled
- Senate: everyone starts on the 8PV spot and moves backwards, therefore losing votes while scoring more points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am really interested to see this conversation develop, as the first ideas put forward sound nice and we might come up with great things.

What a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petyr E
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All these expansions need to be balanced heavily. I think Feld wanted to put much more in the game, but had to stop on some reasonable edge.

My idea of "expansion" is about adding 4th ship - for 2 triples. While for 3 pairs VPs go as "5-10-15" and "1-6-11", for 2 triples VPs may be "10-25" and "7-14".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
10-20 sounds more elegant and balanced.

Now I need to print these ideas and try them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any moves and playtests on the subject?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.