BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a similar game to settlers of Catan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Que Blaze
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Ok so one of my game groups absolutely loves Catan and no matter how hard I try to get other games to the table, that game always gets on.shake

So I am looking for another game similar to settlers, maybe not exactly the same but good easy mechanics for 4-5 people, maybe 6 every now and then.

I would appreciate any help in this matter...

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ad Astra - Never played it, but almost always compared to when I see this question

Wiraqocha - At least at first glance, but I think it's a bit more nasty...

What mechanics are particularly interesting for your group? And what games have you tried that didn't work?

Edit:
Also Dark Horse seems very similar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.J. Dexter-Hitchcock
msg tools
My group has a similar fixation on Settlers.
(Not that I mind, I love settlers as well, but it’s nice to have some variety…)
Much to my surprise, the only game that has managed to contend with it so far has been Olympos. Being a Ystari game, it is on the heavier side of things, but it seems to be one their most accessible games and I think any Catan crowd could handle it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
"Settlers upon Catan once A-G-A-I-N-?-!-?-" Check within their VARIANTS for anything too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
+1 for Ad Astra: I've played it, and while the gameplay feels very different from settlers, the rules look very similar, straight down to the buildings you can build and the resources in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to 6P?

Alhambra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I play Alien Frontiers it always reminds me a lot of Settlers in terms of feel, although the mechanics are quite different.

You are trying to place colonies(~settlements) on a map, certain areas of the map may be advantageous for different reasons, you need to collect resources in order to place colonies, there are alien tech cards (~ dev cards) which can offer various bonuses, and dice rolling to give a dose of luck. The scoring is open information and, to some extent, it is based on how many colonies you've placed, just like Settlers.

AF offers some differences too, which you may enjoy if you're growing tired of Settlers: rolling many dice (your personal fleet of "spaceships"), placing your dice in a worker placement style mechanic, ways to mitigate unfortunate dice rolls, alien tech cards give you two possible bonus (one that can be used each turn, or a one time use bonus), no trading but potential to steal resources from other players.

The base game only plays 2 to 4 players, but the soon-to-be-released expansion adds the option of a fifth - although, personally I feel a fifth player would make the game too long. There are a lot of good AF videos, so check them out and see what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas

Similarities to Catan: Victory Point-based, resource collecting (money), trading, dice-rolling.

However, the game moves forward less on luck and more on player action. Lots of yelling goes on during a reorganize or gamble action. A well made game.

Just make sure that you point out to your group there is less luck than appears on the board.

Also, it only plays up to 4!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Lords of Vegas

Similarities to Catan: Victory Point-based, resource collecting (money), trading, dice-rolling.

However, the game moves forward less on luck and more on player action. Lots of yelling goes on during a reorganize or gamble action. A well made game.

Just make sure that you point out to your group there is less luck than appears on the board.

Also, it only plays up to 4!

Oh! Great recommendation. I've actually thought that before.... (just forgot about it when posting here)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Standen
United Kingdom
Hove
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Duke say "play games"
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Ad Astra: knocks the socks off of Settlers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not one of my favourites but try Citadels or one of my favourites I'm the Boss! or Elfenland

And yes to Ad Astra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What it is that your fellow-gamers like about Settlers of Catan?

If it's collecting resources and constructing buildings that your group likes, consider Albion, which is by the designer of Carcassonne. It doesn't have the trading and replayability that is present in Settlers of Catan, but it's definitely worth looking at if moving settlers on a map and using resources to build stuff is your thing.

For a game with lots of trading, you might want to check out Oltre Mare, and the wheeling and dealing of goods cards that's inherent to this game will appeal to folks who enjoy that aspect of Settlers of Catan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
queblaze wrote:
Ok so one of my game groups absolutely loves Catan and no matter how hard I try to get other games to the table, that game always gets on.shake

So I am looking for another game similar to settlers, maybe not exactly the same but good easy mechanics for 4-5 people, maybe 6 every now and then.

Catan's a good game. I will never turn down an offer to play Catan. That being said, I've also got the same group enjoying games of Evo, Mission: Red Planet, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, and Survive: Escape from Atlantis!. Maybe you might want to try one of these.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Backues
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
This question gets asked a lot - because it is a good one! As others have said, it depends on exactly what it is your group likes about Settlers.

A little bit ago I made this Geeklist to pull together some of the more common answers to this question, organized by what aspect of Settlers it was that one found particularly appealing. Hope it helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To offer a contrary opinion, why not offer something completely different? Anything like Catan, will invariably get compared to Catan, and likely fail that test. Thereby leaving you with a shelf full of unplayed Catan-esque games.

For me, the key was to find something completely different that also excited them. That naturally led to the question "Well, if this is as good as Settlers...what else is out there?".

I'm not going to claim it has been anything near a joy ride from there. The favourites still dominate most game nights, and its not like they suddenly all converted into hardcore gamers. But it went from "Settlers Night" into "Board Game Night". Now we at play a variety of games.

My suggestion would be Dominion. It's utterly different, takes 5 minutes to explain, and 30 minutes to play. That way, you can use the "I'd really liek it if we could try this, it's really fast and we'll still have plenty of time for Settlers" angle. Hopefully, that should open the door to other options as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try The Castles of Burgundy - it has dice and hexes, which should provide some comforting common ground with Settlers while being a very different game with a step up in complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
What it is that your fellow-gamers like about Settlers of Catan?
this ^^^

If it's the trading they like then try Bohnanza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Quite a few years back my group moved up from Settlers to "La Citta". It quickly became a long standing, go to favourite. A fantastic, well balanced resource management game. I never see it mentioned much on BGG and I find that puzzling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is always Starfarers of Catan. It's quite similar, of course, but has enough major differences that it doesn't feel like you're playing a re-theme of Settlers. In many ways I enjoy it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
The Settlers of the Stone Age and Catan Histories: Struggle for Rome

.......too similar.......?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Patten
United States
Cypress
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
No, no, I'm fine. How are you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Boomtown is similar in that players are building mines and roll a pair of dice to determine their production each turn. It's a lot more confrontational in that cards are claimed in an auction each round, players can destroy each others' mines and steal or tax gold, and it has a built-in time limit as it ends after one run through the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Que Blaze
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Believe it or not I tried a totally different game in Lords of Waterdeep and it was a hit, so I'm very happy with that, I also mentioned to them Stone Ageand they seemed very interested! I love when my board game list grows, now I just need the money lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.