Popular Tags: [View All]
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So my husband and I have decided that a lot of our two player selection is stale, but we've found that we really enjoy playing "full-sized" games together. Fillers just aren't satisfying anymore. I have a bad habit of ignoring games based on theme or title even though I'd probably adore the game play. This is where you guys come in. I need help finding some games that would play well just the two of us, and if they scale well to four or five, even better (though not required).

Our favorites right now are The Castles of Burgundy, Shipyard, Loyang and Macao.

Over all, we're just looking for a more substancial experience, and less of a Lost Cities experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're a fan of Feld (which you clearly are), then I highly recommend Trajan. In my opinion, it is easily Feld's best game (and awesome with 2).

If you enjoy sandbox games, then Ora et Labora is great with 2-4.

Homesteaders is a nice engine building game with an auction that works well with two. (not quite as heavy)

Ground Floor is on Kickstarter right now (Tasty Minstrel Games), and looks to be a great option as well. You can PnP and decide for yourself (plus there are a few discussions on the game as a 2-player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medium weight

Tigris and Euphrates (it can be brutal with 2 players)
Lowenherz (or Domaine)
Age of Empires III
Tikal
Lords of Waterdeep
Hacienda
Samurai
Torres
Roborally (4 on 4 capture the flag)
Through the Desert
Pandemic
Galaxy Trucker
Thebes
Scotland Yard

Lighter games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
without a doubt
twilight struggle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Twilight Struggle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan is on my radar and I think once it becomes available here, it will be an instant buy. I've been back and forth on Ora for so long. I think it might be time to commit. And Twilight Struggle... I have owned it for years and it still hasn't hit the table. How embarrassing

I'm definitely going to have to look up Homesteaders. That one never hit my radar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More substantial? 1989: Dawn of Freedom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quelf elf wrote:

Is that the one by the same people who did Twilight Struggle? If we like TS, I will have to look more into that one!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SubtlyArtistic wrote:
Trajan is on my radar and I think once it becomes available here, it will be an instant buy.

We've played Trajan once so far, and the mancala is great fun!

We've also had difficulty getting Twilight Struggle to the table. It's not as fun on first play as our other longer games, e.g. Eclipse, Mage Knight or Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
SubtlyArtistic wrote:
Trajan is on my radar and I think once it becomes available here, it will be an instant buy.

We've played Trajan once so far, and the mancala is great fun!

We've also had difficulty getting Twilight Struggle to the table. It's not as fun on first play as our other longer games, e.g. Eclipse, Mage Knight or Arkham Horror.

How is Eclipse two players? It is a must buy for me, so I'd love if it played well 2p. Mage Knight also does well two player? I liked the look of that.

ONE DAY I will get Twilight Struggle to the table. I don't mind the length of the game, but I'm intimidated by it for some reason. I think I really need to buckle down and read the rules, or force a coworker to teach me how to play it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SubtlyArtistic wrote:
quelf elf wrote:

Is that the one by the same people who did Twilight Struggle? If we like TS, I will have to look more into that one!!

This might help you decide:

[Voice of Experience][Roger's Reviews] 1989: Looking for Freedom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also consider

Thurn and Taxis
Tikal
Navegador
Power Grid: Factory Manager
Louis XIV

I consider most of the above as medium

Now coming to heavy (these are heavy games IMO, other gamers might have different opinion)

Poseidon
Vinhos
Brass: Lancashire
Stronghold
First Train to Nuremberg
War of the Ring (First Edition)
Troyes (My guess is if you like Macao and Castles, you might like this as well)

Hope some of them might be to your liking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SubtlyArtistic wrote:

How is Eclipse two players? It is a must buy for me, so I'd love if it played well 2p.

We've only played Eclipse 2P, and I've found it a a bit 'meh' (I currently rate it a 6). Our ratings generally line up pretty well with BGG so I'm not sure it works 2P that well.

I think the problem is that it's too zero-sum. When we've played, the winner is the person who picked the tiles with the most planets in the early game. Both players buy ships and the game ends with the stronger person wiping out the weaker in an attack/battle dice-fest.

We need to play it with more than two to give you a firm answer on whether it's just our play style.

SubtlyArtistic wrote:
Mage Knight also does well two player? I liked the look of that.

Our favourite game and we normally play solo or 2P. Get it. Every game feels different, it looks gorgeous, it's flexible (you can coop or go competitive, depending on your mood), and - if you have a vivid imagination - the theme is immersive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're willing on expanding to three once in a while, I'd love to come by and game with you guys (or meet in a public space).

I own Mage Knight. It's primarily a solo experience, unless you play pvp (something I have never done). It's a wonderful game to play with other gamers, and share in the experience, but you're all primarily doing your own thing.

Finally, if you're not a fan of Twilight Struggle, check out 1960: The Making of the President. From what I'm seeing, people that wanted to like TS and didn't found what they're looking for in that game. I own this one as well and it's great fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
SubtlyArtistic wrote:

How is Eclipse two players? It is a must buy for me, so I'd love if it played well 2p.

We've only played Eclipse 2P, and I've found it a a bit 'meh' (I currently rate it a 6). Our ratings generally line up pretty well with BGG so I'm not sure it works 2P that well.

I think the problem is that it's too zero-sum. When we've played, the winner is the person who picked the tiles with the most planets in the early game. Both players buy ships and the game ends with the stronger person wiping out the weaker in an attack/battle dice-fest.

We need to play it with more than two to give you a firm answer on whether it's just our play style.

Ah that totally makes sense that it would be that way. I've only played once and it was four players. I put off learning it, thinking it wouldn't be my type of game, but figured I should for my job, and ended up LOVING it. I definitely recommend a bigger game for a better experience. It is right up my husband's alley so I'm so excited to get it so he can try it.

Quote:

SubtlyArtistic wrote:
Mage Knight also does well two player? I liked the look of that.

Our favourite game and we normally play solo or 2P. Get it. Every game feels different, it looks gorgeous, it's flexible (you can coop or go competitive, depending on your mood), and - if you have a vivid imagination - the theme is immersive.

This sounds fantastic. We love playing coop games together, so being able to switch that up depending on mood sounds nice. I definitely think I need to look into this a lot deeper. I hadn't even noticed on its page that it is recommended best with 2 until now. I had just written it off as a big 4p epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Also consider

Thurn and Taxis
Tikal
Navegador
Power Grid: Factory Manager
Louis XIV

I consider most of the above as medium

Now coming to heavy (these are heavy games IMO, other gamers might have different opinion)

Poseidon
Vinhos
Brass: Lancashire
Stronghold
First Train to Nuremberg
War of the Ring (First Edition)
Troyes (My guess is if you like Macao and Castles, you might like this as well)

Hope some of them might be to your liking.

I have access to most of these, so I definitely think I will give them a try. I tend to yawn when hearing about another game with a historical or blah blah theme, and then end up loving it when I play it, which is a bad habit. I already own Louis XIV and adore it. Most of these I've heard of, but didn't look into. Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.