10 Posts

In Magnificent Style» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cannister Fire vs Confederate Units in Union Spaces? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Blue (Union) Event 'Cannister Fire vs' indicates "Brigade is in any other space adjacent to a Union space: Apply 3 Hits".

Does a Confederate unit in a captured Union space (or even contested, for that matter) count as being 'adjacent to a Union space'?

The Red zone colouring on the chit itself suggests the event was focused on the Red zone only. However, the wording in the rulebook uses the phrase 'any other space adjacent' (without explicit mention of the red zone), which makes me think that Union spaces do count. Can anyone clarify for me?

For the record, when this first came up I treated Union spaces as adjacent, so took the 3 hits on my 9 SV unit that had captured a Union space with only 1 SV loss. I then proceeded to draw the exact same chit two more times (I shuffle my chits well, this was just really bad luck), which saw my 9 SV unit go down to 6, then down to 3, and then eliminated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never mind, just found my answer at the bottom of page 7. "Artillery, Canister or Fre-type Events into or out of that space are ignored."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you found the answer, Nathan. I hope you enjoy the game!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received it in the post today and eagerly read through the rules immediately. I just finished my first game with a score of 70. I've just set up and about to start my second game straight away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:
I received it in the post today and eagerly read through the rules immediately. I just finished my first game with a score of 70. I've just set up and about to start my second game straight away!

And I just scored 102 from my second result. Managed to capture five Union spaces, two were locked in combat, and the other two only had 2 SVs remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done! I think that's about the best score I've ever personally achieved in the game. But I stink at my own games ....
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just scored 252. So, I either played completely wrong (likely) whistle
or was incredibly lucky (which was kind of true). 66

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Lord, Scott! Did the Union retreat before you even started your attack!?
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rechecked the rules and it looks like I did it right. I was incredibly lucky with the die rolls and the chit draws.
There was only one rout result and it was on the first turn. Heavy fire was a very rare event.
I did push every brigade hard and had seven brigades in the yellow and red zone by the end of turn two, most of those over the Emmitsburg Road fencing.
Two units were able to go from start to union line in one turn! On to Washington happened thrice during the game. Against the Wind came up four times. the Union chits were usually shells falling in an area with no brigades. The Rebels drew reinforcements and artillery support frequently.
Almost all bayonet charges were die rolls of 9 or better with Confederate brigades at 7-9 strength.
I guess it was the perfect day for the south as they ended up in all 9 Union spaces with the only downside being General Pettigrew was not there due to death by chit draw.
74 strength in Union spot (X3), 2 Generals (+10VPs) and 6 or more continuous Union spots (+20VPs).
Theoretical perfect score would be 305 by my calculations.
Bet I never break 100 again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Nicely done! I guess they'll be serving chicken fried steak, buscuits and gravy and grits at the White House now!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.