Anna Bruna
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please share your most favourite mechanism and least favourite mechanism.

Mine:

Most favourite: Worker placement
I like the choice of a variety of actions that you get with worker placement.
I also like variable starting players (especially if it ties in the theme is. Fresco)

Least Favourite: Deck Building (especially if it's the core of the game)
I find a lot of shuffling tedious (and I'm not very good at it) and I find deck building very repetitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate anything that requires 'acting' or doing something 'silly'.

I can damn well make a fool of myself without a game telling me to.

Favorite is simultaneous turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite: Role selection.
Puerto Rico and Twilight Imperium 3 are the only games i rate a "10". I suspect the role selection is a big part of the reason.

Least favorite: Auctions and bidding.
I just don't like having to guess how much my opponents will big on anything. What it usually boils down in the games that have that mechanic is one or two elements have high bids, then the rest goes for next to free because no one has cash anymore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S McCulloch
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He Says he likes tile placement and area control. Because he likes to think in pictures. Least favourite games are games with spreadsheet like action as in Hawaii and Vikings.

She says role playing, scenario are her faves. Like the story telling, narrative feel to them. Least favourite is games with too much adding, dividing numbers as in Troyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite: Tie between tile laying and worker placement.

Most of my favorite games have one of these mechanics and I think the similarity between them for me is that they help me get into the theme of a game. With tile laying I feel like I'm actually building something and I also like the puzzle aspect of this mechanic. With worker placement there's something about deciding where to place your meeples out of many choices that feels kind of like you are living inside the theme of the game and making more lifelike choices.

Least favorite: Deck building.

Has almost the opposite feel for me. I don't feel like I'm building something or making life choices for characters. I'm adding cards to my hand and that feels kind of boring to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about my favorite, could be worker placement.

I do not like negotiation and auction games. Both require an informed and confident decision about what something is worth and what could be traded. No matter if it is an alliance in a diplomatic/ war themed game or buying a property in a game of commerce, I always have difficulties to make a proper decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite is tableau or engine building. I like the feeling of creating something.

Least favorite is co-op. It's not my thing. Being kind while others offer bad ideas up is not fun. Maybe a co-op with no talking allowed would be better for me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

i really like role selection and hidden roles

I also like the mechanic where resources change value and you have to manage which ones to keep/sell to maximize your score i think its called commodity speculation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most favourite: Partnerships
Least favourite: Diplomacy

So, I like to collaborate, but I like it only if our interests are the same. I dislike the situation where I have to collaborate with a person with partially matching interests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite mechanism is the Decision.

I usually don't like games that lack this mechanism, or that make it meaningless.

I'm pretty flexible about how the mechanism is implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
KDM
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to choose one it would have to be worker placement.

And the one I hate the most is Bluffing. With Negotiation coming in just behind (almost not able to choose between those two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite: I like worker placement or engine building, but greatly enjoy most others.

Least favorite: Anything with trading between players. Note: I actually like games that have trading when there are good players who understand what makes a good trade, when it is a good time to trade and a bad time, but I find most people do not. Settlers is the prime example: play it against people who are good at it and will trade when it is in their interest is great, people that are bad at it and will trade away the game for everyone else (or will refuse any trade ever) is bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Korppi
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
herbman wrote:

And the one I hate the most is Bluffing.

Isn't bluffing quite ubiquitous? If the game has hidden information, it always makes bluffing possible. Heck, I have even bluffed in full information games (by playing suboptimal moves and hoping that the opponent does not figure out how to punish them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Favorite:
Role Selection - You have to set yourself up around a strategy and a plan.

Least Favorite:
Dice rolling - too random, too much of a luck factor, no skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Favorite - worker placement.
Least favorite - trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
badge
KDM
mbmbmbmbmb
True, I meant more specifically the kind of bluffing that occurs in games such as Diplomacy, which I thoroughly despise. I just ain't no good at it or see the pleasure in it.

Maybe bluffing isn't the mechanism too name in that regard, Political maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Lanctot
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite: four-way tie between worker placement, bidding, variable turn order, and hidden/secret objectives. I generally like mechanics that lead to more player interactivity and dislike games that are essentially multi-player solitaire.

Least Favorite: deck-building. It's too tedious, takes way too long to setup. Overall it feels like the less fun half of the CCG genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth DeCato

Clearfield
Utah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to agree with sharky6000 for the likes but add that CCGs are more on my dislikes than just a self-contained deck building game like Eminent Domain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Favourites: Tile laying, rondels, deck-building, dice rolling, 'Yomi' (not sure what the Yomi mechanism is - reading opponent's mind?)

Least favourites: Bluffing and bidding (two-player, I lose 100% of the time to my poker-playing husband)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Favorite: Hidden roles/objectives, area control
Least favorite: Action Denial (often in worker placement games), deck building (keeping decks thin and optimal is EXTREMELY boring)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
Favourites: Tile laying, rondels, deck-building, dice rolling, 'Yomi' (not sure what the Yomi mechanism is - reading opponent's mind?)

Least favourites: Bluffing and bidding (two-player, I lose 100% of the time to my poker-playing husband)

Isn't "Yomi" bluffing? Or at least bluff-reading? You should try Arena: Morituri te salutant. It gets bluff-reading right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Least favorite: Bidding.
Most favorite: Stabbing things.

Have yet to play a game where you bid to stab things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Fleuren
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
This is my OverText
badge
Hope you like it...
mbmbmbmbmb
Least favorite: Games where I have to do stuff, or I will be punished if I don't. (Feed your family, otherwise its less points for you)
Most favorite: Auctions and worker placement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
(not sure what the Yomi mechanism is - reading opponent's mind?)

"Simultaneous action selection".

Unless the game is very unconfrontational, all simultaneous action selection games have a "let's see, he probably wants to do this, so I'll do this, but wait, if he does that, that means I'll have to… wait a minute."

Happens in Robo Rally when people are close to each other, for example. Greedy Kingdoms has it as a main mechanism. The mechanism of Hidden bids is also similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Least favorite: Bidding.
Most favorite: Stabbing things.

Have yet to play a game where you bid to stab things.

How about Tom Vasel's upcoming game: Nothing Personal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.