Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've played both Jungle Speed and Ghost Blitz, which do you prefer and why?

Is there another game that would fill this niche that you would suggest?

I was leaning towards Geistesbliz for the components, smaller price tag, and two different types of cards (exact object matches, and object matches based on exclusion). However, Jungle Speed is turn based, so I didn't know if that was better. It seems they both have expansions (Geistesblitz 2.0 due for release later this year), although I've heard there are compatibility issues with the newest edition of Jungle Speed and the previous expansion.

Thanks for you help!
- Cris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bordelon
United States
Deerfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have the same question? Does anyone have some thoughts on these two speed games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like both these games, but Geistesblitz has pretty much replaced Jungle Speed for our group since it tends to cause far fewer injuries. Although we haven't gotten rid of our copy yet, it's been some time since it's been played. But Geistesblitz, and now Geistesblitz 2.0, get played quite regularly.

Some other speed games you might want to check out:

Trigger!

La Boca

Anomia

Considering the low price tags, I'd say it's worth owning all of these. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I lean toward Ghost Blitz, though both are fun.

Ghost Blitz has a better "mode switch" mechanic-- as you pointed out, there are two types of cards, and I think they appear in roughly equal numbers. Jungle Speed has a few special cards that make you evaluate differently, but they come up less often and (to me) feel more clunky.

Ghost Blitz also has some harder variants in its rules, and lends itself to even more house rules (my friends especially like the "if there's a green item, punch the person next to you before grabbing a toy" rule).

It also-- maybe this is just a result of the first two things-- seems to cause more delighted/confused laughter. Jungle Speed is easy enough to grasp that people go straight into "okay, gotta focus, I'm gonna get it this time" thinking. People learning Ghost Blitz, if they enjoy it, seem to first go through a "why doesn't my brain work?" phase that, well, like I said, *I* think it's fun.

I like the Ghost Blitz expansion (it's already out, at least in Europe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SaraCV wrote:
I really like both these games, but Geistesblitz has pretty much replaced Jungle Speed for our group since it tends to cause far fewer injuries.

I've not played Ghost Blitz, but my group will undoubtedly stick with Jungle Speed because it causes more injuries devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Maximum Throwdown?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only dexterity game I've played was Dungeon Fighter. I enjoyed it, but sometimes it was downright infuriating. You might take a look at it, but do some research if you're thinking about buying it. It doesn't work well in gaming groups that take their games seriously (In other words, expect to lose a lot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently Geisterblitz is on my "must get" list.

I've played more Jungle Speed this year than any other game as I'm playing with teenagers regularly and for me the game is about "pouncing", not constant involvement. Actually that makes it for me easier to play for a longer time and JS rewards repeated plays. Expansion keeps things interesting for those who played this a lot. It's also very easy to explain and people will get a hang of it as they play (which is a must for me, given I play in open situation where people come and go).

Another interesting game is Spot it!/Dobble. This one is 100% intense all the time for everybody involved. But you can't play more than a couple in a row as it's that brain intense.

From these two Spot it! is a better filler (in between games) and Jungle Speed is better for a group that wants to play such a game repeatedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Barbie
msg tools
mbmb
esirof wrote:
I've not played Ghost Blitz, but my group will undoubtedly stick with Jungle Speed because it causes more injuries devil

You MUUUUUST try Ghost Blitz.

Pick-a-Pig is our other favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SaraCV wrote:
Some other speed games you might want to check out:

Trigger!

La Boca

Anomia

Thanks for the Anomia mention-- it's the sort of game I'd never find on my own, but I picked it up and absolutely loved my first play. It has the crucial "why is my brain frozen?" feeling that Ghost Blitz has, for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.