Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
if a player has a monster already engaged and plays a feint on it, which prevents it attacking, does the monster still get dealt a card from the encounter deck?
If so, does the shadow effect still trigger, even though the monster cannot attack?

If the answer is yes it would still get to trigger a shadow effect, can this be prevented by playing the feint, in the engagement step instead of the attack phase, Would this prevent the monster engaging in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eagle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The enemy still gets a Shadow card (these are dealt to "each engaged enemy") but....

2. The Shadow effect does not trigger if the enemy does not attack, because the attack resolution sequence as a whole does not take place, and this includes as step 3 the resolution of shadow effects. The Shadow card will simply be discarded without effect at the end of the combat phase.

Reference: rulebook p.18
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rules are very clear on this. But I can see another potentially beneficial effect.

As I and a couple of others stated previously, you still deal the Shadow Card if only for the simple reason that it could potentially help you if that Shadow Card was particularly nasty, not to mention that Encounter Card would be avoided, and you may be glad it got discarded too. Of course, the argument is all a matter of odds (does it really matter?).

On the other hand, even though the Shadow Card is discarded it also has the important effect of advancing the Encounter Deck (although very minor) by one more card. There is a rule during the Combat Phase Step that if there are no Encounter Cards left in the draw pile, that Enemies engaged with Characters DO NOT get Shadow Cards. Who knows, the fact that EARLIER IN THE GAME you may have had one or more Shadow Cards dealt and discarded with no effect may end up meaning that it caused the Encounter Deck to run out 'just a little bit faster', thus resulting in no Shadow Cards being dealt in the current Combat Phase because the Encounter Deck is not shuffled during this phase if empty.

Yes, I know it's an extremely slim probability but it does have an effect. Sometimes even the smallest things can make a difference when you least expect it. After all, it was the smallest among them that managed to defeat and destroy the One Ring. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eagle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. There is also the reverse situation in those quests where there are particular objectives in the encounter deck that you need to find (eg The Redhorn Gate). Here, it is generally bad news if these disappear into the discard pile having been used as Shadow cards.

The antidote to this situation is to run Shadow of the Past. I have been in the situation against The Redhorn Gate where I have deliberately kept enemies engaged turn after turn, with Shadow of the Past in hand, in order to increase the chances of seeing the vital VP Mountain location.

Finally I would add that for me personally, forgetting to give useless Shadow cards to enemies I have Forest Snare-d is the easiest rules error to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks chaps thats cleared that up for me. Also I might add the shadow of the past now having read your post Joe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eagle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chainsaw_ash wrote:
thanks chaps thats cleared that up for me. Also I might add the shadow of the past now having read your post Joe.

I think it is a good card, firstly for the reason outlined above (fetching key objectives or whatever that have ended up in the discard), but secondly because in solo play it gives you complete control over what comes out of the encounter deck for a turn.

It's also handy against The Watcher in the Water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker (Matt) Jones
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm crazy for solo games
badge
Image from Love by Eskil Steenberg
mbmbmbmbmb
Keesvanloomacklin wrote:
As I and a couple of others stated previously, you still deal the Shadow Card if only for the simple reason that it could potentially help you if that Shadow Card was particularly nasty, not to mention that Encounter Card would be avoided, and you may be glad it got discarded too. Of course, the argument is all a matter of odds (does it really matter?).

This becomes less luck-based, and would probably make more sense to a new player, if you consider that its possible to "peak" at the encounter card via certain events and abilities. Especially those that let you "peak" and "reorder" the top X cards on the encounter deck (not sure if a card like this exists yet, but you get the idea).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.