Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

BSG 276: The Abyss
6-player Pegasus+Exodus game to Kobol

Welcome to the start of BSG 276: The Abyss. This will be a play-by-forum game in the style established by ColtsFan76. Major thanks to him for getting this whole shebang started, and also to Orphius for creating the mod tools that will be used. Special thanks to Vroscioli, from whom this intro text is shamelessly pilfered and who helped me moderate my first game.

This will be a Pegasus + Exodus game headed for Kobol, which means that allies and trauma will not be used. The Cylon Fleet Board will be used instead of Cylon Attack Cards. If no Cylon Leader is selected, we will be using the standard Sympathizer mechanic.

Players
TBD

Rules and Guidelines

Those of you who have played in a PBF game before can skim this section. If this is your first PBF game, I suggest reading it carefully.

1. In order to participate, you must own a copy of game and the expansions.

Part of the agreement that allows us to do this is that the full card text will not be posted, so you will need your copy of the game to reference things like what the crises actually do. In the event that at some point you are temporarily away from your cards and need the text to make a decision, send me a PM and I'll get you the relevant information.

2. I intend for this to be a fast-paced game. You are expected to subscribe to this thread and to check in at least twice per day, preferably around 12 hours apart.

I like to have my PBF games play very quickly, so there is a serious expectation that you will not hold the game up for a significant period of time when it is your turn to make an action. If this is not your style, that is fine, but I ask that you pass on participating. For this reason, I try to invite people from similar time zones. If it is your turn to act and it has been more than 12 hours, I will issue a reminder to you. Habitual offenders may be replaced. A great way to speed up the game is by issuing tons of COs. See the "Conditional Orders" section below. This rule will not be enforced strictly over weekends or holidays.

3. All communication between players must occur in this thread ONLY.

To maintain the feel of a face-to-face game, players are forbidden from communicating with their fellow players about the game outside of this thread. Anything that needs to be communicated privately being me and a player will take place via GeekMail. When sending me a GeekMail, please include the game number, your character name, and a description in the subject line.

4. Follow typical play-by-forum conventions when posting.

This includes always making it clear what character you are speaking as by including your character name in bold or an appropriate banner at the top of each post. Fantastic banners created by DukeOfEarl are available here. Other pictures for adding flavor can be found in this compilation. Additionally, when posting, please use the typographic standards used in play-by-forum games. Specifically, be sure to leave regular discussion in a plain font, in-character flavor text in italics, and actions you wish to take in bold. Be especially conscious of the bolding your actions; I will not execute an action if it isn't bolded.

5. Respect the secrecy rules.

Battlestar Galactica is a much less interesting game if the secrecy rules are not closely followed. I suggest everyone take a look at the official "Secrecy Clarifications" document, the last page of the Official FAQ.

Conditional Orders (COs)

* Conditional orders are a very important aspect of keeping a PBF game running as quickly and efficiently as possible. Because of this, I ask that you put in COs for pretty much anything you can think of. All COs should be sent to me via GeekMail, and be clearly labeled by having "CO" (and a description of what the CO is for) in the subject line.

* Do not post public COs under any circumstances; this includes posting bold text when it is not your turn to act. Additionally, for this game I will not be allowing public "TANK" COs. You can, of course, submit a normal CO to pass on playing cards into the check, which will have a similar effect.

* Under many circumstances, I will not wait for interrupts before executing actions. The following is a (non-comprehensive) list of examples of things that I will not ask for interrupts for (and thus will not have interrupts played on them unless you put in a CO):

Declare Emergency
Strategic Planning on Launch Scout, unless there is only one raptor remaining.
Strategic Planning on attacks by vipers, or attacks by cylon ships.
Evasive Maneuvers
Calculations (under the same conditions as Strategic Planning)

* I will assume that you have a standing CO to pass on any interrupt that you do not hold in your hand. Players are encouraged to put in COs to pass on interrupts that they are holding but do not intend to play. Any COs to pass on interrupts will be resolved once everyone else has already passed, to minimize the amount of information revealed by these COs.

* If you have an interrupt-style character ability, this onus is on you to put in a CO to use your ability when appropriate. For example, I will not ask if Starbuck wants to use Secret Destiny on every crisis card that is played, but she may put in a CO to pause to let her decide when a crisis card meets certain criteria.

* Be very clear when writing your COs. If I feel it is ambiguous, I will let you know and will not execute the CO, which could hold up the game. Feel free to make them as complicated as you like, as long as they are understandable.

House Rules

This game will have a number of house rules in play:

1. Complex Destiny: The destiny deck will be created with 3 cards from each skill deck instead of 2. When it is down to 6 or fewer cards, it will be refilled and reshuffled.

2. Cylon Leader Agendas: In the event a cylon leader is chosen, several changes to the Sympathetic Agenda deck are in place. The "Join the Colonials" agenda is replaced by the "Grant Mercy" agenda. The second condition of the "Convert the Infidels" agenda is changed to "The total of the values on the resource dials is 12 or less".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Invites are going out. Since this is a holiday weekend, I will give players 48 hours to respond before moving to alternates.

Players
StatSig IN
awp832
al_fredo
shrimpjive IN
pathetic loser IN
sockhands IN

Alternates
ninjamatic3000
Hobbit12
Capt_WaRPed
bagg09tn IN
Vufer IN
emmowbee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Allen
United States
Chicago
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am IN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Hmm. Didn't expect it to be difficult to fill the list! awp832 has a few more hours to respond, but I'm sending out a second set of invitations to our European friends. I'll give them 24 hours to express their interest, though I might bump it a bit since I have no idea what time it is over there.

Alternates

bagg09tn
Vufer
emmowbee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deniss Zilajevs
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always positive on playing BSG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Alright, Vufer is in. Hopefully the difference in time zones won't be too much of a problem!

Right now I'm going to give awp832 some more time, but otherwise bagg09tn will be our last player. However, bag09ton will be on vacation until next Tuesday. That's when we will be starting unless awp832 takes the last spot.

Once I know who our last player is, we can start selecting characters. Sorry for the delay, but we'll get under way as soon as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

And with that, we have our players list. Remember, we will begin play next Tuesday. Again I apologize for the delay.

Player Order
StatSig 1d100 = (98) = 98
bagg09tn 1d100 = (92) = 92
sockhands 1d100 = (88) = 88
Vufer 1d100 = (73) = 73
pathetic loser 1d100 = (41) = 41
shrimpjive 1d100 = (9) = 9

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 134122. Safid
  • 1d100 =
  • (98) =
  • Wed May 30, 2012 7:00 pm
  • [+]
  • 134123. Safid
  • 1d100 =
  • (9) =
  • [+]
  • 134124. Safid
  • 1d100 =
  • (41) =
  • [+]
  • 134125. Safid
  • 1d100 =
  • (88) =
  • [+]
  • 134126. Safid
  • 1d100 =
  • (92) =
  • [+]
  • 134127. Safid
  • 1d100 =
  • (73) =
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, is it high roll wins? I'm first?

Tory. Having ALL THE CARDS never gets old.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Yes, sorry, I was interrupted before I could order the list properly.

bagg09tn is up next and has promised me a CO, but now it appears he just has to make a pick and then we can keep moving.

If the rest of you wish to send my COs on character selection, that's fine. Remember that if no one picks a Cylon Leader we will be using a Sympathizer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

bagg09tn selects Helo by CO.

sockhands, you may select from: Cylon Leaders, Pilots, or Support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Allen
United States
Chicago
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I choose Apollo.

Thank the gods that cheeseburger ship survived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deniss Zilajevs
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Greetings Ladies and Gentemen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

pathetic loser, you may select from: Cylon Leaders, Military Leaders, Pilots, or Support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Do us (me mostly! so I can build the spreadsheet) a favor and either post or CO your initial card draw, unless you feel that you desperately need to see your Loyalty Card before making that decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Hi guys.

I'm afraid I'm the one delaying the start of the game.

For my draw I choose

1 Leadership, 1 Tactics and 1 Piloting

I should post again on Tuesday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Allen
United States
Chicago
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I will draw

1 Politics, 1 Tactics, and 1 Piloting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hinds
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I'll choose Cain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hinds
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For my cards, I'll choose 2 Leadership and 1 Tactics. I'm sorry, but I can't figure out how to change text colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Last but not least, shrimpjive may select from: Cylon Leaders, Pilots, or Support.

To change the color of a block of text, you just need to use these tags without spaces [ color=blah] words [ /color] or you can quote someone's post and see how it's done. Please use orange instead of yellow for politics, as it is easier to see against a white background.

As a reminder, please SUBSCRIBE to this thread and set your GEEKMAIL TO FORWARD TO YOUR EMAIL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deniss Zilajevs
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My starting draw: 1Politics, 1Leadership, 1Engineering

Apollo, You need to specify Your starting sector as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Allen
United States
Chicago
IL - Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I appreciate the help, Doctor, but I don't take orders from you.

Start in Sector 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (They/She)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

No card draw to CO since I get my full hand, just trying to commit my banner number to memory, mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb

Where I play, we have a house rule to immediately execute any Baltars. (Because there's a certain pathetic loser who will always pick him if he can.) Anyways, figure I'll try to be the dependable blues guy.

(sorry sorry sorry for my slowness when everyone was so quick.)

Draw: 1 Politics, 1 Leadership, 1 Engineering, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin O'Bryan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Awesome! We have our crew! I'll send out loyalty and initial hands tomorrow, but the first turn will have to wait until after the weekend. Good luck to everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [28] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.