BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Making my own hexes... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi!

My girlfriend and I like playing Hive. A couple of days ago, she came with the idea that she wants to make her own set. But she doesn't quite know how to make the hexes.
I know there are threads about it in the Hive forums. There they make their hexes with clay, but I wanted to know if there are any other options to make sturdy hexes (so preferably not paper)?
Does anyone have suggestions on how to make these?

PS: I'll buy my own set as soon as I have the chance, but for now I'd like to let her have some fun doing something creative
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There exists 2" hex tiles normally for bathroom flooring. These are easily cut apart and can be coated once the picture is glued on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Where could I buy this? Normal DIY-store?
And what should I (or my gf) use for the picture? Paint it on, print on paper?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Litko Aero will make custom hexes for you. They're designed for wargame bases, but they could be used for prototyping as well. One of their materials is 3mm thick plywood, which might work well. http://litkoaero.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a ton of these HeroScape glyphs which I figured I'd make a Hive set from sometime.

Lots of stores have zillions of these for sale pretty cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.