Subject: fast races - fast playing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

I've always tried to make a racing game easy to play and reflecting the speed of the cars in a fast playing.

I merged games like SPEED CIRCUIT, FORMULA DE and FORMULA D, and also DTM RACING.

I hope the following text and pictures provide some impressions about what is possible.

The circuit.
It's one of the FORMULA DE expansion boards.
The set-up: four player cars (drivers: T.E.D., L.T., R.M.G., M.D.) and 16 "dummy" cars.
The player cars are configured according to the SPEED CIRCUIT system but I used 8 points per car.
The race will last 3 laps. Each car has 13 Damage Points (DP).
The dummies are in front so the first phase of the race challenges the players to move through this mobile obstacle.
My game system needs no plotting by writing and there is no complex car handling. All necessary data is maintained on a cardboard counter (one per car, one for all dummies). The actual speed values for all cars are plotted on this sheet.
At start all 20 cars are stopped, of course.
The "fog of war" comes into play whenever cars are exceeding the given maximum corner speed limits. Here are the (only) tables used in the game.

Back to the race.
The start is always a critical part of each race as too many cars are clustered in a too small space.
The player cars should move cautiously.
T.E.D. manages to join the leading cluster. Note the two dummies that managed to move away (for the moment).

The cars begin to form more distinctive clusters.
The effect continues.

Each game turn takes about 1-2 minutes to play.
L.T. attempts this move (at a speed of 150 mph).

As the first corner allows only a top speed of 140, L.T. must check what happens as she enters the corner.
Yeah! Nice driving. Nothing happens.
The second corner ...
... also with a limit of 140 mph. Another check.
Again the final result is less than 10. L.T. finishes her move as planned.
The game system also includes slipstreaming. L.T. actually moved 16 spaces.
The race continues and the distance between lead and last car ever grows.

T.E.D. finally passed all dummies and now occupies position number 1.
Note the deactivated chicane.

On the right you see R.M.G. as he tries to keep close to the leading car but note the blocking formation of three dummies ahead of him.

Her you see L.T. as she finally succeeeded in passing a group of dummies (clever cornering is the name of the game). Now only T.E.D. is left in front of her.

Here is the dilemma of R.M.G. and M.D.: the dummies slow them and the former must wait patiently until the next corner is reached. This will allow them to pass. Hopefully. The other two player cars exploit this situation and race away.

As the lead car enters the next corner, it loses momentum...
... the speed is reduced by 60 mph and the card takes some damage.
A perfect chance for L.T. to close the distance to the lead car.
The other two player cars finally have a chance to pass the blocking group of dummies.

The first lap has been completed. By the lead car. L.T. is close behind.

The current status of the cars: T.E.D. 10 DP left; L.T. 8 DP left. R.M.G. 13 DP left; M.D. 12 DP left.
Cars regain DP at the pits.

The race continues.
Note the distance between the two pairs of player cars.

Is there any interest to see the next part?

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that the weird cornering rule for Formula De is gone (i.e. you can enter a corner on gear 3 and still screw it up if you roll badly; or you can enter the same corner at gear 6 if you roll lucky). Is the main difference from Speed Circuit that you roll in every corner? If so, does that slow down the game? How long does it take to finish a game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply.

fusag wrote:
I like that the weird cornering rule for Formula De is gone (i.e. you can enter a corner on gear 3 and still screw it up if you roll badly; or you can enter the same corner at gear 6 if you roll lucky). Is the main difference from Speed Circuit that you roll in every corner? If so, does that slow down the game? How long does it take to finish a game?

My system differs from both the SPEED CIRCUIT and the FORMULA DE systems.
Whenever a car enters a numbered space and its speed is HIGHER than the given number, the player must roll 2d6 (add the difference in speed values and add the car's WEAR value). This way, the risk gets higher the greater the difference in speeds. The WEAR value reflects a car's sturdiness.
Once a car has conducted a check this will not be repeated unless the next space entered shows a lower level than the one just entered.
This way a standard corner showing just one value on each lane forces only one check unless the car moves to a slower lane.
But some corners are really complex as they show many different values on each space. The players have to find their "ideal" cornering path this way.

The dice rolling does not really slow the game as each player rolls 2d6 once per turn on average. The tables applied are really simple so the results will become known pretty soon.

Some players really waste time by painstakingly count spaces ahead of their cars. I use a simply house rule: no use of the fingers to "walk" along spaces. If a player really becomes stubborn, she/he must simply maintain the speed of her/his car and live the consequences.

The total time required to finish a game is driven by the number of laps and the circuit, of course. 3-4 laps appear quite appropriate to allow enough position changes and keep the dummy cars effectively in play.
I always use 20 cars total.

1-2 minutes per game turn. The average distance moved by a player car may be around 12 spaces. Check the overall length of a circuit and you have a first time estimate for your games.

I hope this helped a little bit.

Keep asking.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you determine the corner speeds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe pex
Italy
Aosta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great mix of the two beautiful games!

I don't understand only how you choose the speed of all the dummy cars, given that they are in different points of the circuits...

Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.