Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking very far ahead lately -- specifically to the next GameStorm in March 2013. Now that I've run successful tournaments at that convention I'm thinking continuing to run tournaments is part of the deal now. And one of the tournaments I want to run is CC:N.

I heard the suggestion that a four-player tournament would obviously require two copies of the game. Fortunately I don't have to buy it just now because copies of the game are getting hard to come by (GMT is out of copies, as are many e-tailers -- I got my own copy retail playing full MSRP). Luckily I have until March.

The question I have is how long I need to set aside for the tournament. As well as whether the con would accept a four-player tournament. One of my concerns is the set-up time between rounds of the event. Is it kosher to recruit help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know the rules, I think you can play a round in about 2.5-3 hours. That's selecting and setting up a scenario, then playing the same scenario twice switching sides. C&CN games in my experience take a little longer to play than C&CA. But, you may have players that haven't played the game much and I think you should budget maybe even 3.5-4 hours (setup + two 1.5+ hour plays).

One thing to do is to encourage players to bring their own copy of the game. This may limit you to the base game scenarios for the tournament because you shouldn't count on players owning all the expansions unless you announce that in advance. For example, I played a tournament this weekend and brought my two sets.

And, I think it's perfectly acceptable to select a scenario, then allow the players to set up their own boards. Especially if players aren't very familiar with the game, they can discuss/refresh their memory on the terrain effects as they set up.

I'm pretty sure my local game store has a copy, and they're running a 20% off Memorial Day sale. http://gatorgames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
One thing to do is to encourage players to bring their own copy of the game. This may limit you to the base game scenarios for the tournament because you shouldn't count on players owning all the expansions unless you announce that in advance. For example, I played a tournament this weekend and brought my two sets.

When I ran Manoeuvre, I had a lot of copies of the game for playing copies, prizes, and donations to the convention organizers' extensive game library. I had six total, and was able to leave my personal copy at home. I won't be that fortunate with CC:N because of its relative rarity.

The GMT representative I talked to had a set of four scenarios that he recommended be used in the tournament. He suggested Quatre Bras for the semis and Waterloo for the final. Now the question becomes how balanced Waterloo is, as I don't want the outcome of the tournament to be decided simply by who drew which side in a given scenario.

Ideally the final would be a completely new scenario nobody would be familiar with, but there haven't been very many published alternative scenarios that I've heard about that just use the base set (no Spaniards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While GMT maybe temporarily out of C&C:N, my local game stores (Sentry Box, etc.) still have many copies for sale. I notice the online retailer I use (Starlit Citadel) still has it in stock. I'm not sure it's all that hard to get right now.

As far as tournament scenarios I would assume the scenario(s) used would be played twice. With each player playing each side, ie. switching sides. The final combined total victory points/flags over the two games determining the overall round winner. This is because there are no truly balanced scenarios. Three hours per round, ie. 90 minutes per game, should be plenty of time. Games not ended by that time should be adjudicated, most current victory flags getting the win.

I wouln't suggest Quarte Bra or Waterloo as scenarios unless you have time for playing twice/switching sides since both are unbalanced in favour of the French. If you do run the two game per round tourney then they would be great scenarios since they require skilled play to succeed on the allied side.

If the 'tourney' is going to have a lot of new players and limited time then maybe you should dump the tournament idea and just run demonstration and learning games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran Vimiero, River Coa, and Garcia Hernandez as tournament scenarios for one event. Each was match-played in three-hour blocks. With a meal break and some down-time for tallies and a short awards ceremony, it took a whole day but it was a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.