Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt V
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be picking this up soon. I've always liked this game.

I'm not sure what version to buy though. I see there is a second edition from Rio Grand Games, but I've also seen a reference to a Hans Glick version which seems like it may have the option for more players.

Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure which version is better ... if there is a better version - but I think the only way to add more players (up to 5) is to get the expansion Stone Age: The Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The second edition. Though I doubt there will be any first edition copies available any more. The second edition had slightly more wood resources than the first edition and the components fit inside the box of the second edition (they didn't fit in the first edition).

The only way to get more than 4 players is to buy the expansion, which ups the player count to 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Spieles
United States
Vandalia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
The second edition. Though I doubt there will be any first edition copies available any more. The second edition had slightly more wood resources than the first edition and the components fit inside the box of the second edition (they didn't fit in the first edition).

The only way to get more than 4 players is to buy the expansion, which ups the player count to 5.

+1 for this. I received a first edition copy in a trade only to find it can't really be stored sideways due to a lack of room in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celebros wrote:
I received a first edition copy in a trade only to find it can't really be stored sideways due to a lack of room in the box.

I do puzzle over trying to imagine how the box changes size when you tip it on edge ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gar Per
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Celebros wrote:
I received a first edition copy in a trade only to find it can't really be stored sideways due to a lack of room in the box.

I do puzzle over trying to imagine how the box changes size when you tip it on edge ??

I'm still at step 1 - how does the box contain the game until it is opened and unpacked, then become too small to get the components back in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nate_lockhart wrote:

I'm still at step 1 - how does the box contain the game until it is opened and unpacked, then become too small to get the components back in?

That's why Stone Age has the nickname "Schrodinger's Board Game". Some of the components are placed in a quantum state of simultaneously existing and not existing, which allows them to easily fit inside. However, once the box is opened, the quantum state is resolved forcing the pieces into a permanent state of existence. Its rather brilliant from a packing perspective. Gives the shipping department nightmares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of the base game and the expansion for 40 bucks at Origins this past weekend thanks to a vendor sale. They both have Rio Grande Games AND Hans Glick on the outside of the box. I'm assuming these are first edition? If so, am I going to be playing a broken game in some way due to having this earlier edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
I picked up a copy of the base game and the expansion for 40 bucks at Origins this past weekend thanks to a vendor sale. They both have Rio Grande Games AND Hans Glick on the outside of the box. I'm assuming these are first edition? If so, am I going to be playing a broken game in some way due to having this earlier edition?

The only difference is the size of the box. Worst case, you can adjust the insert: How to modify the box insert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gomez
United States
South Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, if you wait long enough, you will be able to get the Z-Man version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks! I did notice that the rulebook is a horrible mess of broken english. I went to Rio Grande's site and discovered that the same copy existed there as well. Thankfully it's short and the game is not terribly complicated, otherwise I'd have a headache from trying to figure out what the heck they were trying to write half the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
The only difference is the size of the box. Worst case, you can adjust the insert

If you're willing to do without the stinky leather cup (and most people are) you can get both the base and the expansion to fit in the smaller sized expansion box. Saves a lot of room in my gaming tote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.