Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know not much can be done other than make sure that cards and tiles are always facing you but that isn't right. Just played Infinite City and it would be nice to have writing going both ways instead of big artwork. I know, its my age. Any other ideas on how to read things upside down. Sometimes playing games like Ascension takes forever because people have to pick up the card to read it. Just venting here cause I can't read upside down well.It would be nice if some tiles or cards could have printing on the top and bottom, but it would be too big and more expensive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you just orient the game materials toward the players that have difficulty reading upside down? Whenever I set up a game, I generally just make it so that I'm the player looking at things upside down, since I don't have trouble reading things that way.

If everyone has trouble reading upside down, then I'm not sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of possible approaches come to mind:

1 Some games use icons instead of (or in addition to) text. Race for the Galaxy is a notable example. Once players are familiar enough with the icons, they no longer need to read the text. Icons can be recognized upside-down fairly easily.

2 Put the player who is best at, or most familiar with, the game in the position where the text is upside-down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb

get Isla Dorada It has locations written twice to be read both from the north or south
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people use lazy susans, but they aren't very portable. That's all I got

I like deck builders, but often I won't feel like playing one because it takes a while for everyone to read the cards and know what they want. I feel this way about Quarriors as well. I don't like constantly looking at the cards to know what my dice can do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an upside down reader microbadge?

I'm sure I'm one of the few who prefer being upside down. Especially games with world maps. I *have* to be upside down for those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bop517 wrote:
There certainly should be one!! thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
bop517 wrote:

To that I can only say:

thumbsdownthumbsdownthumbsdown

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
bop517 wrote:

http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/6148
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I read just as bad the right way as upside down, so I don`t really care which way the letters on a game face. As long as they all face the same way. If i need to have it the right way, I can either move around, get the others to read it for me, or pick it up to read it. I can blame my affliction for not being able to read (I have dyslexia)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have played upside down for so long that I've habituated to it sufficiently that it is now jarring and mildly uncomfortable to play right-side up or even side-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ani
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this depends on the size of your table, but the way we handle it is to place the board along the width of the table rather than the length. So technically, the only person seeing the board straight is the person sitting at the head of the table. The advantage is that everyone else sitting at the sides of the table, up to a 5 player game, sees the board sideways rather than upside down. Sideways is much easier to read than upside down because you can just tilt your head if need be.

If you have a round or square table though, this won't work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I have played upside down for so long that I've habituated to it sufficiently that it is now jarring and mildly uncomfortable to play right-side up or even side-on.

This. There are some boards - Arkham Horror is one - where if I'm looking at it straight on I just can't find anything. Ye Olde Magick Shoppe is at the top left corner of the board, and I defy anyone to tell me differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

I am somewhat similar. I play upside down very well, but I can do right-side up okay too.

But if I have to play sideways, I am absolutely useless. I have to crane my neck around all game just to read things.

Thankfully it doesn't happen too much that I need to play at this angle, so it's a skill that I just don't feel is necessary to work on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Practise! Read a book upside down. After that your problem should be gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lanning
United States
Ossian
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Rorschach says "FEED ME!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer to play scrabble upside down - helps with my pattern recognition vs concentrating on vocabulary. Weird, huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Netherlands
Den haag
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:

get Isla Dorada It has locations written twice to be read both from the north or south
The problem with that one is that I find my eyes being drawn to the bigger type, so I am still reading upside down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
mag74b wrote:
SamNzed wrote:

The problem with that one is that I find my eyes being drawn to the bigger type, so I am still reading upside down.

Try to make sure you get to sit on the right side of the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.