Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Where to go next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned Runebound for so long and haven't had the chance to play it often. I remember when I bought it there were lots of cool expansions. Most of them are no longer available (like weapons of legend, drakes and dragons, bandits and monsters). Some other are though. I am now interested in expanding my base game. Here is a list of the currently available expansions, so I'd appreciate suggestions of my next move:

Big box expansions:
Runebound: The Island of Dread
Runebound: Sands of Al-Kalim
Runebound: The Frozen Wastes
Runebound: Mists of Zanaga

Small:
Runebound: Artifacts and Allies
Runebound: Relics of Legend
Runebound: Avatars of Kelnov
Runebound: Cult of the Rune
Runebound: The Cataclysm
Runebound: The Seven Scions

I regret not getting the old now OOP expansions, so now I whosh to get some of the available ones, which ones for you are the best? Should I go for big box or small ones? Or maybe a combination of both? Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think big box expansions add so much to the game that it keeps it interesting. The only big box expansion I didn't care for much was Sands of Al-Kalim. The rest were pretty good.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And on the other side of the coin is me, whose only big box is Sands, which I bought even before getting the actual base game blush . Could not be happier with it.

Of the small boxes listed, I own the three Adventure Variants (Avatars, Cult and Cataclysm, been eyeing Scions). Avatars is basically the same as the base game, tougher Red Challenges. But it does provide excellent foreshadowing with its Events, adding quite a lot of flavor IMO. Cataclysm is probably my pick of them, you have quests and killing, tough Reds, but also you get a big-ass final fight. Cult of the Rune is my least favourite, mostly because it can get boring if the Cult is stuck in the mountains and no Cultists are created, game stalls with no VPs available. Don't want to go too far away from the Cult so the other player doesn't get first dibs, but hanging close sees the adventure gems cleared quickly (or already cleared), meaning turns become, do nothing, roll for Cult, hope you get a mountain, if not, next player snore .
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Klotz
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread, since I have been wondering the same thing. I am pretty much brand new though, so I'm still seeing new cards pop up even through the base game, but I could the tips on where to go after a few more games of this. If I can find the expendable money, that is
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorien4 lorien4
Greece
Asprovalta
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Al Kalim, which I suggest. I don't own Mists of Zanaga, but I intend to buy it, because the reviews and the rulebook convinced me that it has complexity and surprises.

Avatars are the same with the base game. The Cataclysm is different, but it's very hard.

I think you should look for the big bow expansions first.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, i'm fairly new to Runebound 2nd but i'll try to help you choose your next expansions.

I got bakc into board gaming 3 years ago and bought Battlelore. It was that or Runebound 2nd edition. I ended up with Battlelore cause I thought i'd mostly 2-player games and didn't new much about RB.

What a mistake!!!!!

Runebound should have been my first game!

Anyways, after buying RB 2nd in february 2012 (lol...), up to this point I upgraded it with those in chronological order:

- Traps and Terrors (small box - Challenge exp.)
Really cool and different Challenges. A must for me!
- Weapons of Legend (small box - Iten & Ally exp.)
Another must have to add really cool items and allies to the market deck.
- Frozen Wastes (big box exp.)
Played once and loved it. It's an awesome change from the base game and the little changes and new mechanics keep it fresh!
- Drakes and Dragonspawn (small box - Challenge exp.)
Again, cool Challenges for the base game!
- Dark Forest (small box - Challenge exp.)
Awesome Challenges...again, keeps the base game fairly fresh!
- Terrors from the Tomb (small box - Challenge exp.)
Same as all other Challenges expansions, adds new stuff to the base game!
- Sand of Al-Kalim (big bix exp.)
Didn't played yet but Deserts are one of my favorite settings in fantasy with frozen wastelands. So, for me, it was a no brainer. I'm plannig a game soon and can't wait. Love the new end game: Be the first to complete 4 Legendary Quests in the harsh desert.
- Rituals and Runes (small box - Item & Ally exp.)
Adds rituals and more runes to the market deck. Rituals are cool and powerful and must be charged (with movement dice) to be use/activated. Must buy for a varied market deck!
- Mists of Zanaga (big box exp.)
Gonna receive it tomorrow by mail. Bought it after reading lots of good comments about it. Big boxes add so much to RB that they're awesome buys!
- Beasts and Bandits (small box - Challenge exp.)
Found it cheap on a etaileer that I love and simply ordered it! Who doesn't love new challenges?
- The Cataclysm (small box - Adventure variant exp.)
Same as Beasts and Bandits and Mists of Zanaga!

Damn...long post

TLDR - Buy what you think you'll love and you won't regret it!
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Klotz
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yeah.. basically looks like.. can't go wrong? Nice to see it broken down in what you get out of each though, since I have not been quite so clear on that yet. Learning more every day though I just don't have much expendable cash right now, so buying extras will be a slow process.. Might just need to stash a few bucks away here and there and piece it together slowly.

Can't wait though, I'm excited even to play my 3rd game, let alone all of this extra stuff. Still haven't even touched some of the base variants I want to play yet, so I have plenty to play for now
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ajklotz wrote:
So yeah.. basically looks like.. can't go wrong? Nice to see it broken down in what you get out of each though, since I have not been quite so clear on that yet. Learning more every day though I just don't have much expendable cash right now, so buying extras will be a slow process.. Might just need to stash a few bucks away here and there and piece it together slowly.

Can't wait though, I'm excited even to play my 3rd game, let alone all of this extra stuff. Still haven't even touched some of the base variants I want to play yet, so I have plenty to play for now


That's the beauty about this game, you can add stuff at the pace you want and still greatly enjoy the game.

The no brainers for me are the Item&Ally and Challenge deck expansions. 30 card expansions that you simply add to their respective decks and voilà! For under 8 bucks you just added some more variety and surprise the the base game.

And when you got some spare money, grab a big box expansions and venture through a completely new map with new challenges and encounters! Simply choose the type of terrain you love most (swamps, deserts, icy landscape, islands, etc) and grab it!

Many big box expansions add some cool new and simple mechanics that refreshes the feel of Runebound. You'll love it!

I'll send you a PM in a sec with a place where you could order some small box expansions at great prices.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd appreciate that info too. It's almost impossible to find the monsters expansions at fair prices. For example beasts and bandits sells for more than 50 usd at amazon. That's crazy!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS still has most of the RB stuff in stock, but sadly (of course), not the three I most want in addition to what I have: Dark Forest, Terrors of the Tomb and Scepter of Kyros.

Having read up on Artifacts and Allies + Rituals and Runes, happily skipped those.

I read Skeletor's RB Shopping Guide quite a lot prior to deciding my buys:

http://fortressat.com/articles-boardgame-reviews/370-shoppin...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Klotz
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS -- well, the one that happens to exist for right now -- carries a lot of stuff, but no Runebound. They said they can order it, but I'm torn: If I have to wait for it to be shipped anyways, I can save money by buying online. But I want to support their business so they don't go out, so I can buy stuff later when I have more money.. but.. if I don't save the money by buying online, I will have even less money to spend in the first place

This town has seen so many game shops come and go though, I'm surprised they are trying.. no cards or comics even, just boardgames, so we will see what happens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ajklotz wrote:
My FLGS -- well, the one that happens to exist for right now -- carries a lot of stuff, but no Runebound. They said they can order it, but I'm torn: If I have to wait for it to be shipped anyways, I can save money by buying online. But I want to support their business so they don't go out, so I can buy stuff later when I have more money.. but.. if I don't save the money by buying online, I will have even less money to spend in the first place

This town has seen so many game shops come and go though, I'm surprised they are trying.. no cards or comics even, just boardgames, so we will see what happens.


Perhaps they should diversify their merchandise? Add some comics, novels, action figures and stuff that brings people in the store!

Place board games right in front of them when they take their first steps in the store

If they can't bring more customers in, they won't survive
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
ajklotz wrote:
So yeah.. basically looks like.. can't go wrong? Nice to see it broken down in what you get out of each though, since I have not been quite so clear on that yet. Learning more every day though I just don't have much expendable cash right now, so buying extras will be a slow process.. Might just need to stash a few bucks away here and there and piece it together slowly.

Can't wait though, I'm excited even to play my 3rd game, let alone all of this extra stuff. Still haven't even touched some of the base variants I want to play yet, so I have plenty to play for now


That's the beauty about this game, you can add stuff at the pace you want and still greatly enjoy the game.

The no brainers for me are the Item&Ally and Challenge deck expansions. 30 card expansions that you simply add to their respective decks and voilà! For under 8 bucks you just added some more variety and surprise the the base game.

And when you got some spare money, grab a big box expansions and venture through a completely new map with new challenges and encounters! Simply choose the type of terrain you love most (swamps, deserts, icy landscape, islands, etc) and grab it!

Many big box expansions add some cool new and simple mechanics that refreshes the feel of Runebound. You'll love it!

I'll send you a PM in a sec with a place where you could order some small box expansions at great prices.


I'd appreciate a PM with that info as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Klotz
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhezuss wrote:
Perhaps they should diversify their merchandise? Add some comics, novels, action figures and stuff that brings people in the store!

Place board games right in front of them when they take their first steps in the store

If they can't bring more customers in, they won't survive


Their biggest draw right now is a semi-large stash of open games for people to come play, and the game nights they are doing every other week. But that's all free, so won't sustain them, unless those few people who are coming to those nights so far are buying tons of stuff. It's possible, and I'm sure it helps, but I doubt it's enough to keep them going on term. Turns out I know some people who have been going down there, so I will probably stop by myself some time. Just don't have the cash to give them any We'll see what happens.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.