Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My lads and I decided to pull War of theRing out from it's long hibernation and played a 2 on 1 game over the Memorial Day weekend. Whenever we play a really complicated game after a long hiatus, its understood that we are going to make a few gaffs in strategy or following the rules. Sure enough - we had a few, but the game was super enjoyable.

The early part of the game started predictably enough. The bad guys were mobilizing while the fellowship was moving. I used Merry and Pippen (probably a gaff there) to go to the Shire and mobilize the North and his initial hunts were fairly successful...and I kept taking corruption thinking I'd stop in Lorien for healing.

The middle part of the game had the S&S team being very agressive against Gondor, the Dwarves and the North but being neutral to the Elves and Rohirrim. As the fellowship meandered through the Anduin vale, the orc armies began to mass for attacks on Lorien, Rivendell and Rohan. By this point, Dol Amroth was besieged, Dale was plundered and Osgiliath was under shadow. Merry and Pippen brought together the Rangers of the North with the Blue Mountain Dwarves and twarted an attack on the Shirelands, and Tom Bombadel finally made an appearance and shut down any attacks on the area.

The later 3rd of the game was truly Epic. I moved Strider and Borimor (via Eagles) to Minas Tirath to help with that impending seige while the remainder of the Fellowship (Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas, Samwise & Frodo) moved further towards Mount Doom. My lads turned up the full power of their armies and began concerted attacks up and down Middle Earth. First to fall was Erebor, then Minas Tirath. Just as Aragorn was dieing at that Battle, the Fellowship proclaimed themselves in Mordor. Frodo had 7 corruption.

Edoras fell as well as several other cities putting the boys at 7 Victory points. Dale Fell and then Lorien was crushed. A military victory was within their grasp with 10 victory points. A stunning defeat of an army from Orthanc at Helm's Deep (thank you Treebeard) kept the bad guys from truely overrunning the Free Peoples and they were able to counter attack before the end of the turn and recapture Edoras. That turn ended with 9 VP for the forces of evil.

Each turn, the Fellowship crawled through Mordor. Sauron searched them out, first felling Gandalf, then Gimli and finally Legolas. Frodo was corrupted to 9 and we had 3 more spaces to go. The next hunt was a zero and they moved closer to the cracks of doom...

In the final game turn, As the Rohirrim rode towards Minas Tirith in an attempt to free it, Dol Amroth and Rivendel fell. The elven stronghold posed no difficulty to the Orcs, but Dol Amroth had withstood a game long seige that finally broke and gave the game to the bad guys. Unless...

Yes, I had two more character movements left. 2 more spots to get to the Cracks. 2 more Hunts to withstand. Only 2 more corruption (I was on 9)... The first pull was a -2! They ate the last of their waybread, remembered green grasses of the Shire and pushed on. The last pull was a 3 corruption! Frodo and Sam survive with 11 corruption points...and the military victory condition is NOT fullfilled because it's an end of game turn condition and the Free Peoples win!

It truly was the time of men, as the elves and dwarves were almost all destroyed, as was Gondor. Rohan and the Rangers of the North inherited the Free World as only the hobbits survived the fellowship.

We know we didn't play characters very well, and we'll work on that for the next game, but we very much enjoyed our game and the epic feeling of the last turn especially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkobla Conn wrote:
It truly was the time of men, as the elves and dwarves were almost all destroyed, as was Gondor. Rohan and the Rangers of the North inherited the Free World as only the hobbits survived the fellowship.
This sounds about exactly right. And there can't be too many dead Elves--regardless of which side you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Radgoski
United States
Gouldsboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops - I think I did something incorrect - I did not mean to give myself a thumbs up...sorry!

(I do apprecate those who have, however!! Thanks!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you had a great game, with an epic finish.

Arkobla Conn wrote:
Oops - I think I did something incorrect - I did not mean to give myself a thumbs up...sorry!

Easy enough to fix - just click it again to remove it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.