Cosmic Encounter» Forums » General

Subject: So, uh....expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own CE for less than a week and it already has become my favorite multiplayer game of all time! There is nothing quite like it and I find the fact that it has been around for so long very intriguing and totally deserved. Getting all of the expansions is natural. The thing is...do I really need them right now? Or am I getting paranoid about them going OOP? I hope that this post will help me with that.

I already own Cosmic Incursion. I got it mainly because of the components for the sixth player. But should I give in to my urge to buy the others? Having 40 new races sounds great, but we are yet to experience all of the 70 we already have. The new mechanics seem to be very interesting, but we postponed the rewards deck until we get more plays behind our belts (much more ). Are the games with 7/8 players manageble and ejoyable?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
At under $20 a pop, sure, buy 'em. Just no need to buy them *now*. Drop subtle hints that you're birthday is coming up soon. You're birthday is coming up next month, right?

I *would* suggest you play the Rewards deck NOW. The Rewards deck is easy to learn. More importantly, if everyone becomes smart and latches onto the "more cards the better" strategy, you'll run out of cards from the base deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
More importantly, if everyone becomes smart and latches onto the "more cards the better" strategy, you'll run out of cards from the base deck.

Which bring us to the violent fun of the Cosmic Quake!

BTW we tried playing with the Reward deck, but everyone agreed that we should play without it for awhile. Maybe a collective mind block or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must ask... can you buy the expansions in Bulgaria? I live over the border in Macedonia but would make a trip to Sofia if I knew I could get it there. (If my schedule permitted, I would probably accept an invitation to sit in on a game too...)

At any rate, I don't have Cosmic Alliance yet (this is why I'm asking), but Cosmic Conflict is a must-have. Hazards are a neat (if wild) variant, and aliens such as Empath, Cavalry, Filth, Prophet, Invader, Siren, and Xenophile are essential! I'd say it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really doubt FFG is going to let them go out of print any time soon. And honestly the base set + CI is going to last your group a long, long time. But I still recommend getting the other two, simply because it's more of a great thing. Absolutely not necessary for your enjoyment of the game, but still great value purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rjburns3 wrote:
I must ask... can you buy the expansions in Bulgaria? I live over the border in Macedonia but would make a trip to Sofia if I knew I could get it there. (If my schedule permitted, I would probably accept an invitation to sit in on a game too...)

Sadly, not really. I got mine through a local (Sofia) FLGS that accepts personal orders once a month. The next order will be in the beginning of the next month. We can arrange something if this works for you. The CE expansions are 25 euros apiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tycho Terziev
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks guys! I shouldn't decieve myself any further and will get those expansions ASAP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wise choice. You won't be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixing the Rewards deck and encounter deck as the expansion suggests as a variant can be fun, too. Behold, randomness!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has done a very good job with the expansions, all of them are excellent and worth it. Previous editions of CE had some just unplayable expansions.

Cheese Moons! Come on. Fun for a game where everyone is drinking themselves blind. Good luck finding all the pieces the next morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to be drunk to have fun with cheese moons (or classic flares, or anything else for that matter). You just have to be in the right mood and/or have an appreciation for the silly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.