Subject: Role of the Ottoman Empire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konrad Gill
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love the concept, and after reading the rules now I'm gonna Kickstarter it!
After reading the rules and watching the pics here on BGG just one thing is a bit unclear for me. How does the ottoman empire work?

It is a major power, but not playable, on the map you can see that it can invade other territories (the sieges of Vienna and Habsburgs struggle with the Otttomans ARE essential for that time peridoe and I don't say this just because I am Austrian)
So how does it work mechanically? Are there some illuminary cards which let you use the ottomans for attacking?
I hope the mighty Sultans are not just a cheap way to expand for the three eastern powers (that woulöd be correct only in the 19th century:)

I look forward to enlighten Europe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure exactly the role it plays in the base game, but the designer mentions over on Kickstarter that he has a major role for the Ottoman Empire in an upcoming expansion. To quote:

The expansion will:

- Introduce between 50 and 125 new luminaries (likely ~100), including the full spectrum of some of the all-time greats (Galileo, Cardinal Richelieu, the great von Wallenstein, to name just three) all the way down to interesting commons

- Bring the Ottoman Empire in as an active NPC that is attacking and wreaking havoc on Austria, Poland and Russia - as in real life 17th century Europe

- Impose real-life historical calamities on the players, ranging from famines to plagues to revolts, the Great Fire of London, and more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Knemeyer
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for supporting Konrad!

I have a set of rules for the Ottomans that also adds more chrome to the game but this requires adding another deck of cards. As we already had high production costs and were running up against weight limitations for some of our shipping options these were cut from the final game. When we release the expansion, this will be part of it. Until then I'm afraid the poor Ottomans will simply serve as an ahistorical punching bag.

McGill wrote:
I really love the concept, and after reading the rules now I'm gonna Kickstarter it!
After reading the rules and watching the pics here on BGG just one thing is a bit unclear for me. How does the ottoman empire work?

It is a major power, but not playable, on the map you can see that it can invade other territories (the sieges of Vienna and Habsburgs struggle with the Otttomans ARE essential for that time peridoe and I don't say this just because I am Austrian)
So how does it work mechanically? Are there some illuminary cards which let you use the ottomans for attacking?
I hope the mighty Sultans are not just a cheap way to expand for the three eastern powers (that woulöd be correct only in the 19th century

I look forward to enlighten Europe!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.