Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I am currently shopping for new games for my gaming group. Having recently purchased both Hansa Teutonica and Endeavor, I am generally looking for some lighter games that can fit into our preferred playtime of one hour.

However, I have been considering these two games for a while, since before I purchased HT and Endeavor, and I still feel like getting one of them. We are normally three players(very rarely four), but occasionally one of us can't make it so we are stuck with two people. In your opinion which of the two games is quicker and which would be best with 2-3 players?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't go wrong either way, but Puerto Rico would be my choice. It's a classic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. J. Robinson
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I just got Homesteaders and have played through a solitaire/tutorial game I found on BGG and one of the solitaire scenarios. While I have yet to play with others, I like the game and the auction system because everybody gets something. Money is tight in the beginning so one should not be afraid of taking on some debt, but it can be ameliorated in later rounds.

I've never actually played Puerto Rico,though I've researched it with the idea of buying it. I do enjoy it's little brother, San Juan, and in my view a better game for casual gamers. However, since PR also has a "pick a role for this round component", I suggest Citadels, which is more forgiving of new players than PR.

So if your choice is between Homesteaders and Puerto Rico, my advice is Homesteaders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are wonderful games - if I had to choose one I would choose Puerto Rico, but I'm glad I dont have to choose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hyer
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both games. Puerto Rico is my all-time favorite game, but I also like Homesteaders alot. PR is unplayable with 2. 3 or 4 is best. HS is good with 2 or more. It is also a shorter game. Playing PR in less than 90min is unlikely and 120-150min is more likely.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, and love Homesteaders. Puerto Rico is okay, but not my favorite. Having said that, it is a solid game and I can see why it gets its applause. Homesteaders is probably a little bit shorter, but not that much. If you look into the official variant for Puerto Rico, I actually quite enjoy it with only 2...so I'd say that they both play well with 2-4 players. Homesteaders feels a bit more sandbox-like which can make players feel lost as to strategy initially, but the game is easy to teach since the rules are so straight forward. Puerto Rico is much more subtle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
greyuriel wrote:
PR is unplayable with 2.

I absolutely love Puerto Rico with any player count. 2 players is excellent. Here's a great article:

Ender's Comprehensive Overview: An analysis of Puerto Rico as a two-player game, and a comparison of the most popular variants

We play the 3 roles/2 roles variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses everyone. What about the playtime? Which game plays faster once you get the hang of it? This is a big deal with my friends and I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. What about the playtime? Which game plays faster once you get the hang of it? This is a big deal with my friends and I.

Both are relatively short, but I think Homesteaders is the quicker of the two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned them both. I've since sold Puerto Rico and kept Homesteaders. That should tell you something right away.

Secondly, Homesteaders is definitely shorter, I don't care what anyone says. It also plays very well with any number of players, 2-4.

For me, homesteaders feels like Puerto Rico distilled. Everything about the winning condition comes from picking the right building/plantation tiles. Well, choosing the right building to build in Homesteaders is EVERYTHING! It all comes from that aspect. That and the auctions, which Puerto Rico does not have. But then again, I happen to love auction mechanics in general.

Also, I find Homesteaders to be less unforgiving to new players if they play poorly at first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.