Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: EDIT [+] [View All]
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, huge thanks for making this available on a try-before-you-buy basis. Living pretty remotely we normally don't get to try out any games before purchase, so to get to try out a game before publication is a real luxury.

So, we printed out the cards on the best quality card we had to hand, and these looked surprisingly good. Obviously, the artwork on the final cards is vastly superior, but for a free version they are pretty good.

We had to print out the hexes on the same thickness card, but this made them look a bit sad. This is where the pimping comes in. When I thought of hexes, the first game that sprang to mind was Hive. This has cream and black hexes which are just delicious. They are made of really attractive Bakelite, and are satisfyingly chunky (at just over 1cm thick). They are a little smaller than the official Wrong Chemistry hexes, but I thought they'd do the job (turned over so the insects and arachnids weren't showing, of course).

Then we needed to find some black and white disks of a suitable size to fit on the Hive hexes. I couldn't find anything exactly suitable, but I then got to thinking how pleasing the coloured glass "nuggets" from my Mancala set (I think these are used in floristry as well) would look against the cream Bakelite. The closest colours I had were clear instead of white and blue instead of black.

When I put this all together, it looked pretty stunning. The blue glass veritably glowed, and it really looked pretty atomic. I had also forgotten just how pleasing the Hive hexes were to handle (I've not played for about 4 years). A further benefit was that after having played a few games of Wrong Chemistry my ten year old son then asked us to teach him Hive as well!

I think that even if I did get the full game I'd still choose to use the Hive hexes/glass nuggets combo as it just looks so good. The only drawback is that it makes it a little weightier, and takes up a little more space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAGE Company
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow!!! It looks really cool, well done and you gave me an idea too, i'll check it (regarding the hexes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.