Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathias Hansen
Germany
Kiel
S-H
flag msg tools
mb
Hello! After playing several rounds of Dominion we bought expensions for the new kingdom cards but we are unsure which cards are actually kingdom cards. White cards are always kingdom cards but what about the following? From where do we know which cards are considered kingdom cards up to Hinterlands?

For example in Dominion: Prosperity:

Platin is a gold card and doesn't cound to the 10 kingdom cards. Same for Colony which is cleary a points card.

What about Talisman, Wage or Adventurer. These are all gold cards but do they count to the 10 kingdom cards?
--------------
Same question for Dominion: Cornucopia

Cornucopia is considered a gold card so does it count as gold like "Gold", "Silver", "Copper" or as one pile in the kingdom cards set?
-------------
Last examples, same question, are Hinterlands "Fool's Gold", "Treasure Chest", "Death Toll" (considered gold but kingdom cards or not?)

Silk Road (considered points card but one of the 10 kingdom cards?)
-------------

Is "Talisman", "Wage", "Adventurer", "Cornucopia", "Fool's Gold", "Treasure Chest", "Death Toll", "Silk Road", "Jester" and "Farming Village" a legal set of 10 kingdom cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Non-Kingdom cards: Curse, Estate, Duchy, Province, Colony, Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Potion. Everything else is a kingdom card.

ETA: And "single" cards: Trash, prizes, randomizers, and blanks. Through Hinterlands since that is all that was asked. My crystal ball isn't working on the future expansions yet.... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Non-Kingdom cards: Curse, Estate, Duchy, Province, Colony, Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Potion. Everything else is a kingdom card.

A bold statement to make as we prepare for the release of Dark Ages. Also, it does not take into account the Prizes, which are not Kingdom cards.

The only definitive way to tell what is a Kingdom card is to look at the rulebook. It tells you which are the Kingdom cards. A card's type does not determine whether or not a card is a Kingdom card. For example, Bank (from Prosperity) is a Kingdom card even though it's a Treasure card. Gardens (from Dominion) is a Kingdom card even though it's a Victory card. Harem (from Intrigue) is a Kingdom card even though it's both a Treasure card and a Victory card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Hansen
Germany
Kiel
S-H
flag msg tools
mb
And that is the full list for every released expansion up to Hinterlands?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jeffwolfe wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

A bold statement to make as we prepare for the release of Dark Ages. Also, it does not take into account the Prizes, which are not Kingdom cards.

And what a rude statement to make as the general public doesn't have access to Dark Ages and Guilds. It was presumed he was talking about current expansions that are available.

I think most people realize a single card is not a set of kingdom cards. And you forgot the trash card, randomizers and blanks. So go ahead and make your list inclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pere
Spain
La Nucia
Alicante
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

And what a rude statement to make as the general public doesn't have access to Dark Ages and Guilds. It was presumed he was talking about current expansions that are available.

I think most people realize a single card is not a set of kingdom cards. And you forgot the trash card, randomizers and blanks. So go ahead and make your list inclusive.

Since we're nitpicking, exclude all non-Dominion cards too. Don't want someone confused about the kingdomness of their Counterspells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DerHannes_84 wrote:
For example in Dominion: Prosperity:

Platin is a gold card and doesn't cound to the 10 kingdom cards. Same for Colony which is cleary a points card.

The rulebook will tell you when to use those. In short, if there are Prosperity cards in the set of kingdom cards, they will be used proportionally to the number of Prosperity cards. (Although this might be a rule suggestion, I'm not sure on this.

And about your other questions:
They are all (possible) kingdom cards. There is no rule that a kingdom card has to be an action card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
mbmbmb
There are no rules for using Platin and Colony - you may do as pleased. A possible way to determine wether or not: When drawing the kingdom look at the first. When it is from Prosperity, use them, otherwise not. I have seen rules for tournaments, if there are 4 or more from Prosperity they must be included. Also you can use either one, but it is recommended to use them both or none - but still no rule!

And another nitpicking: Black Market deck is also not part of kingdom. But they fell also under Brians (ColtsFan76) definition of single cards, so ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Prior to Dark Ages, would this work as a general guideline?

Any non-Prize card with a text box may be chosen as a kingdom card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:

It depends on what you consider a text box. I would say that Harem does not have a text box, and it's a Kingdom card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
binaryeye wrote:

It depends on what you consider a text box. I would say that Harem does not have a text box, and it's a Kingdom card.

Okay, text box is a bad term. How about:

Any non-Prize card which is vertically divided into two boxes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
binaryeye wrote:

I can't think of any counterexamples, but I haven't seen the Base Cards expansion yet. The cards we've seen leaked/previewed so far follow your rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sverre
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, what's wrong with this? "The Kindom cards are the ones specified in the rules to be Kingdom cards."

Can we please move on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
binaryeye wrote:

So.... http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver.....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Sverre wrote:
Look, what's wrong with this? "The Kindom cards are the ones specified in the rules to be Kingdom cards."

By that logic, there's no need for anything but a title on each card as long as the rules for that card are in the rulebook. The purpose of the card design in any game is to provide visual or textual mnemonics to allow play of the game without constant reference to the rulebook. The card design of Dominion fails in this when it comes to choosing kingdom cards.

So, I was trying to come up with a quick but accurate rule that might be helpful to the OP. If the distinction between what can be chosen and what cannot be chosen can be reduced to one easily-remembered line, I think it's useful and worth discussing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I respect your opinion and the effort but I can't wrap my head around what the problem is here. It doesn't seem that hard and doesn't seem to have been a complaint in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple of other clarifying notes...

I'm not sure what Wage is, must be a different translation of one of the cards. But Adventurer is NOT what you call a "gold card." Adventurer is an Action card, no different than Smithy or Village. I would avoid using the term "gold card" because "Gold" is the name of one specific type of card. Gold, like Platinum, Silver, and Talisman, are all "treasure cards." This is a type of card that plays differently than "action" or "victory" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Hansen
Germany
Kiel
S-H
flag msg tools
mb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:

I'm not sure what Wage is, must be a different translation of one of the cards. But Adventurer is NOT what you call a "gold card." Adventurer is an Action card, no different than Smithy or Village. I would avoid using the term "gold card" because "Gold" is the name of one specific type of card. Gold, like Platinum, Silver, and Talisman, are all "treasure cards." This is a type of card that plays differently than "action" or "victory" cards.

Yes, I'm from Germany and we are playing the german edition.
I don't know every title of the english cards so I translated the german name of the cards into english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DerHannes_84 wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:

Yes, I'm from Germany and we are playing the german edition.
I don't know every title of the english cards so I translated the german name of the cards into english.

The following site can be great for looking up the different cards. They are all sorted by expansion and cost, so if you know the English name of the expansion the card comes from it should be fairly easy to find the English name of the card you are looking for.

http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/

What would be really great is if someone was to make a database where you could look up a card or expansion title in any language and it would tell you the name in every language printed. It would be even better if it was able to tell you the exact translations of the other languages.

For example, let's say you looked up the expansion "Cornucopia".
The response would include
German: Reiche Ernte (Rich Harvest)
Polish: Róg Obfitości (Horn of Plenty)
French: Abondance (Abundance)
Italian: Cornucopia (Cornuopia)
Spanish: Cornucopia (Cornucopia)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DerHannes_84 wrote:
What about Talisman, Wage or Adventurer. These are all gold cards but do they count to the 10 kingdom cards?
--------------
Same question for Dominion: Cornucopia

Cornucopia is considered a gold card so does it count as gold like "Gold", "Silver", "Copper" or as one pile in the kingdom cards set?
-------------
Last examples, same question, are Hinterlands "Fool's Gold", "Treasure Chest", "Death Toll" (considered gold but kingdom cards or not?)

And now to attempt to determine the specific cards you are referring to...

I assume you got "Wage" from the german word "Lohn", so I would guess the actual card you are referring to in english is "Loan". The decision to name the card "Lohn" is interesting. I guess every time you pay someone their wage, you lose part of your own money (hence the option to get rid of a Copper). But when you have a loan or debt, you are expected to repay it (again, getting rid of a Copper). Perhaps "Kredit" or "Anleihe" would have been better translations.
Wage = Loan

"Adventurer" is probably from the german word "Abenteurer". The english card is actually "Venture". Adventurer was already used in the base game as an action (not sure what it would have been called in German if "Abenteurer" was used later in Prosperity). None of the other treasures in the game are people - those are usually used to name actions. "Unternehmen", "Wagnis", or "Unternehmung" would have probably been better translations.
Adventurer = Venture

"Cornucopia" is probably from the german word "Füllhorn". The english card is actually "Horn of Plenty" which is another word for "Cornucopia".
Cornucopia = Horn of Plenty

There are only two other treasures in Hinterlands after Fool's Gold, and I'm pretty sure I know which one "Death Toll" is referring to, so "Treasure Chest" ("Schatzkiste"?) is actually "Cache". "Versteck" might have been a better translation, but the card art does depict a Treasure Chest so it fits.
Treasure Chest = Cache

Finally, "Death Toll" ("Zahl der Todesopfer"?) is "Ill-Gotten Gains". The german translation seems a little too dark for the game. But it might be appropriate for the way some people react when it shows up in the kingdom supply! The direct german translation of "Ill-Gotten Gains" ("Unrechtmäßig erworbene Gewinne") probably wouldn't fit too well on a card, though.
Death Toll = Ill-Gotten Gains

I think I'm going to have to rename my Ill-Gotten Gains to Death Toll from now on. I kind of like that one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.