james diemer

Kansas
msg tools
So I love both aToE and AH. My favorite expansion rule in AH is the idea of investigator specific mini missions that Innsmouth added. The problem with them is that in AH, the last thing you need is one more darn thing to have to do.

I'm currently working on adding the same system as a variant for aToE. I feel it could be a more successful mechanic than in AH since it will just focus the early game "Scavenger Hunting" that tends to happen.

I have made a few tentative ones that I can play test, but thought I'd get people's opinions on the idea itself. My current thought is to have the successful condition benefit the character, but the failure condition have broader consequences.

If you are not familiar with the mechanic in AH, here is how it works:

Each investigator get's a card with 2 statements (a positive and a negative). Which ever statement is true first provides it's outcome (either the positive or the negative). The positive outcomes give an immediate bonus and a "discard at any time to..." bonus. The negatives are usually quite bad.

I am designing them to be (unlike AH's 2 tiny cards) double sided heavy card that can sit just above the Character card, it's width is the same. The front has the fluff and positive/negative statements. Once either positive or negative statement is true, you flip the card and gain either the positive or negative condition.

Here is the very rough draft of Cooke, Anne, and Karl (sorry I had to use imgur, geek images wouldn't upload for some reason):

I need to play test them heavily, and finish the characters from Something Wicked before I release them. Also, most of the fluff is stand-in wording and generalization, but the "stories" are inspired by the mini Hero biographies on the wiki page. The graphics are only about half done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James, this is absolutely brilliant. I hope you follow through with it, I can't wait to see the rest!

I like your use of the keyword 'magik' in inspector Cooke's story- i hope you use a lot of keywords for this. I've always felt that the keywords were an underused mechanic in this game.

My one criticism would be that the red lettering is very difficult to read against the brown background. Maybe black would be easier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, James, looks interesting so far! thumbsup I think if you were to make these into a regular card sized format it might help people to make/print their own versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks very promising. I look forward to seeing more of your efforts.

Of those investigators presented, Karl the Soldier's Fail result seems to be the least costly towards him as compared to the others. In a competetive game this relative lack of personal penalty would unbalance things a bit, I think. However, with weaker investigators this might be desirable, actually balancing things instead. Do you feel Karl needs a lesser penalty, or are you mainly thinking in terms of a co-op game? Or is theme the overiding factor?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james diemer

Kansas
msg tools
Truthfully, I only play coop so I'll probably balance it for that. I'm going to wait until I have all of them existing to some capacity and then go through and tweak and balance them as a set (similar to how I grade papers). Currently I am lifting the mechanics directly from AH to the closest aToE equivalent (i.e. AH|The Librarian -> aToE|The School Teacher), but clue tokens do not equal investigation, or maybe on a 1:6 ratio and there is no money in aToE so I have to get creative. In the final version, I hope to tie in a lot more Keyword statements.

When ever I do a project like this, I post the psd's for anyone who wants to customize them (no one's house rules are the same and who am I to decide how anyone else should play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james diemer

Kansas
msg tools
Currently I plan to format them to be printed on 3 sheets of label paper and affixed to illustration board of a similar thickness to the character cards, but when I post the finished .psd, there is no reason someone couldn't move the formatting around.

My main reasoning is that my test copy looked quite attractive as an extension of the character card and the actual playing cards in the game are so darn sexy (high gloss, heavy weight, good saturation) that any print job I do for them will look overly shoddy by comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifting the missions from Arkham horror and applying them to the equivalent characters in ATOE is an excellent idea.

Gary makes an excellent point about Karl the soldier. Because the game can be played competitively, a failed mission should impact the player in question more than the group, but because all players are all working against the villain, a failed mission should always help the villain in some way. You've done that exactly with Anna the schoolteacher; losing the books sucks in general, but sucks worst for her. I do think her fail condition could stand to be reworded for clarity though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knowles
United Kingdom
Ellesmere port
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
James - great idea and I'm looking forward to the finished product!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knowles
United Kingdom
Ellesmere port
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How's the play testing going??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poop Dawg
msg tools
I have never played AH, but I have researched it online (I was either going to get AToE or AH, picked AToE). I have had the game for a month and probably have played it 6 or 7 times.

I was immediately intrigued by the personal story mechanic, and disapointed at the lack of character development in AToE. Why the heck is Victor Danforth even sticking around? What is motivating him?

I am really impressed with the output, and will hopefully be contributing some of my own as I get more familiar with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Yeah
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Where's my YEAH?!
mbmbmbmbmb
You have three characters posted. Any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poop Dawg
msg tools
I was thinking about the Inspector Cooke Personal Story above.

I get that he is ruled by logic and reason, but even a logical, reasonable man has to, at some point, realize he is actually fighting a supernatural being.

I think Cooke's redemption should be that he comes to accept the supernatural as a possibility. I think his ultimate failure would be to refuse to understand and accept what is actually going on around him, which would make him much less prepared to deal with the task before him.

I like the idea of him having a magical item and then going to the Church, and then he has an epithany that expands his mind and abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to get this in an editable format so I can correct all the typos and misspellings. Any chance of that happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.