Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Really??? Will it ever end?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Canela
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
I love dominion but honestly when is it going to stop? I stopped buying it as I think this is the only way it will ever stop.

I dont argue, just sharing my point of view.

Cheers!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
In a game of two, three or four players it ends at the conclusion of a turn in which either the Province pile or any three supply piles are empty. In a five or six player game it ends at the conclusion of a turn in which the Province pile or any four supply piles are empty. If the game began with Colony included in the Supply, then the game will also end at the conclusion of any turn in which the Colony pile is empty.

Probably this should this be moved from general to rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DC
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Are you talking about expansions? Read around a bit -- Donald X. had most of the cards created before the original game was even published, and he and RGG have had the expansions planned out through to the end for many years. It's not like they're inventing new ones just to milk the rest of us for cash (although, certainly, it's working out well for them!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
lcanela wrote:
I love dominion but honestly when is it going to stop? I stopped buying it as I think this is the only way it will ever stop.

Cheers!!

IIRC, the plan is to release only two more expansions. A large expansion, Dark Ages, will be released this fall and a small expansion, The Guilds, will be released next spring. Other than that, there may be a few promotional cards but that's about it. Maybe down the road Donald X. will be convinced to throw out something else but he has stated that his focus is currently on other games and ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanldoughty wrote:
In a game of two, three or four players it ends at the conclusion of a turn in which either the Province pile or any three supply piles are empty. In a five or six player game it ends at the conclusion of a turn in which the Province pile or any four supply piles are empty. If the game began with Colony included in the Supply, then the game will also end at the conclusion of any turn in which the Colony pile is empty.

Probably this should this be moved from general to rules.

Well played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
lcanela wrote:

Cheers!!

IIRC, the plan is to release only two more expansions. A large expansion, Dark Ages, will be released this fall and a small expansion, The Guilds, will be released next spring. Other than that, there may be a few promotional cards but that's about it. Maybe down the road Donald X. will be convinced to throw out something else but he has stated that his focus is currently on other games and ideas.

... and I don't think he means Kingdom Builder, since he has said that he has designed just 2 expansions for that, and one of those is already published. So something new, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, there is a planned end to the exanpansions:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/6129368#6129368

donaldx wrote:
So yeah, I plan to stop after 8. The remaining expansions are close to done, and I haven't worked at all on any further expansions. Anything really worth doing, I am trying to squeeze in by the 8th expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down for wanting another 8 expansions. That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Beaveman wrote:
lcanela wrote:

Cheers!!

... and I don't think he means Kingdom Builder, since he has said that he has designed just 2 expansions for that, and one of those is already published. So something new, I guess.

A little OT - My cousin introduced me to Nefarious last weekend. Before that, when I heard the name Donald X all I could think of is Dominion and deck building games. So I was surprised by something completely different designed by him. Now I have another Donald X game to add to my wish-list.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcclark wrote:
It's not like they're inventing new ones just to milk the rest of us for cash.

Of course not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:

A little OT - My cousin introduced me to Nefarious last weekend. Before that, when I heard the name Donald X all I could think of is Dominion and deck building games. So I was surprised by something completely different designed by him. Now I have another Donald X game to add to my wish-list.
cool
I had forgotten all about that one - I put it on my wishlist when I first heard of it, and did not notice that it got released. Sounds like it was underhyped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With such a threadbare theme the possibilities are endless! Dominion Revolution! Dominion the New World! Dominion Space!!

Once Donald X has signed off the real spinoffs can begin, unfettered by archaic conventions like game balance and continuity (wait until you see the Space Station, it makes your puny Colony look like an anthill).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And once your done with that, you can start on 7 Wonders with its 7 proposed expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
lcanela wrote:

Cheers!!

Yes actually, it will end.

I believe Donald had planned a total of 8 expansions. And Dark Ages is Number 7.

Basically, there is one more expansion coming after Dark ages. MAYBE two. Unless we all SCREAM NON-STOP for more, then Donald may create further expansions.

However, he has said, repeatedly, from the beginning, that since before the original core set of Dominion was published he's had plans for and like 90% of the cards for 8 expansions. Many have changed since then, but as I understand it from reading all his articles on designing the game and the development histories on the cards and expansion sets, it's been a planned run from the beginning.

So, after Dark Ages, you have one more set coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really don't want any more Dominion, then just stop buying them. Problem solved.

I, however, will buy every expansion Donald X. releases. And I promise not to think less of you if you don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Stetson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
TiwazTyrsfist wrote:
lcanela wrote:

Cheers!!

I believe Donald had planned a total of 8 expansions. And Dark Ages is Number 7.

Basically, there is one more expansion coming after Dark ages. MAYBE two. Unless we all SCREAM NON-STOP for more, then Donald may create further expansions.

However, he has said, repeatedly, from the beginning, that since before the original core set of Dominion was published he's had plans for and like 90% of the cards for 8 expansions. Many have changed since then, but as I understand it from reading all his articles on designing the game and the development histories on the cards and expansion sets, it's been a planned run from the beginning.

So one more Rio Grande Dominion set, then we'll have to wait 20 years before FFG makes it into a Living Card Game... it could happen, people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mau g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
happycannibal wrote:
TiwazTyrsfist wrote:
lcanela wrote:

Cheers!!

So one more Rio Grande Dominion set, then we'll have to wait 20 years before FFG makes it into a Living Card Game... it could happen, people.

hq!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lcanela wrote:

Cheers!!

Your loss. :) This isn't Carcassonne though. Dominion can actually handle all these expansions VERY well.

Also, only *2 expansions are left.

*Dark Ages and Guilds. New art common cards are coming out soon. But supposedly there's nothing expansiony in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They release expansions because a) the designer is willing to make them, and b) people are willing to buy them. That statement pretty much applies with every product/service in existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
An update: I have continued to completely fail to do any work on a hypothetical 9th expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
An update: I have continued to completely fail to do any work on a hypothetical 9th expansion.

Slacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mesina
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THE REAL QUESTION- Really, when will threads complaining about Dominion expansions ever end.

As has been pointed out in this thread by several people, Dominion was presented to the publisher as several hundred cards, and needed to be divided into installments in order to be commercially viable. Would people seriously prefer if the publisher told the designer to discard the bulk of his work in order to limit the number of expansions? That kind of fascism is not the America I want to live in.

I don't think people who complain about all the expansions are bad people, per se, but they do come across as being a tad selfish. "I don't want to spend more money on this game, so there shouldn't be more made." As the opera goes...Mi, Mi Mi Mi Mi Mi ME.

Again, the OP may be a great guy, but the limited exposure I have to him and other complainers makes me suspect they are not. People should really consider, as I am with this paragraph, how something they post makes them come across. Just food for thought.

Apologies for inferred tone, but I'm just plain sick of these threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Reaves
United States
Brewer
ME
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:

Good to hear. I'd rather it ended than start having expansions that didn't expand the game in a meaningful way (aka shark-jumping. Plus, 8 expansions is a lot.

I hope you're not ruling out future promo cards, however,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Your loss. This isn't Carcassonne though.

Yeah, Or Munchkin. Man, I started buying up too much of that before I realized what a sinkhole it would turn out to be. And, like Carcassonne it doesn't handle its expansions quite so well.

I'm happy to get all Dominion has to offer. It is just a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.