DungeonQuest (third edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Shuffle Deck Card in the Catacombs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carel van Renen
Japan
flag msg tools
The Shuffle Deck Card in the Catacombs:
Does it mean you have to shuffle the drawn cards that mark your "progress" in the Catacombs back into the deck, yours and everybody else's? If not, what other purpose does it serve, since you shuffle the deck anyway when you exit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin4269 wrote:
The Shuffle Deck Card in the Catacombs:
Does it mean you have to shuffle the drawn cards that mark your "progress" in the Catacombs back into the deck, yours and everybody else's? If not, what other purpose does it serve, since you shuffle the deck anyway when you exit...

No, you only shuffle cards that are in the deck (just like when you reshuffle the Dungeon deck, for instance, you don't reshuffle anything people have collected from there).

I've wondered the same thing myself about the "shuffle" card for the Catacombs. The only thing I can think of is to account for cases where someone DIES in the Catacombs (although perhaps the rules tell you to shuffle then, too; I can't remember and I don't have it handy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original, there was not shuffle card in the Catacombs deck. Instead, a "shuffle" was generated each time someone died in the Catacombs or left it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel van Renen
Japan
flag msg tools
Thanks for the help.
I wonder if you used something else to keep track of your Catacombs movement, like determination tokens, then discarding the cards as usual would give the shuffle card some purpose. Not in the rulebook but anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
matzi1 wrote:
I used to shuffle the cards when somebody dies,somebody left the dungeon.
Also, when we draw the shuffle card, we shuffle the catacomb cards which are in the deck.

Seriously, when somebody draws out all the exits, there is no way out without the shuffle card...

If they drew out all the exits, and haven't left the catacombs, the shuffle card wouldn't help as those stay in the pile of catacombs cards they've drawn to mark the distance they've traveled. (Unless the Exit cards say to immediately discard them, but I don't think they do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.