Popular Tags: [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://icv2.com/articles/news/22993.html

Interesting. Sounds like a co-op from the description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get to demo it myself, but it was at the UK Games Expo last weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Cooper
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not at all co-operative!

There is one main deck of cards - the game ends soon after a pre-placed "game end" card comes out toward the end of this deck.

Cards are in several main types - Defenders (Doctor and assistants), Enemies (Daleks, Master and others), Support cards (generally giving you a slight advantage) and Locations (played for victory points and the main focus of conflict in the game).

Defenders and Enemies have strength point values on them, some have special abilities or rules applied when played, attacker or revelealed.

The other components are:

* Time Tokens (a big pile of silver-grey wooden disks) which can be collected along the way, and used to purchase extra cards on your turn at a rate of 5 tokens for one card.

* Conquest tokens (showing a Dalek) in each player colour.

* Defender tokens (showing a TARDIS) in each player colour.

At start of the game - Draw five cards.

Each turn - Play down to three and pass those cards to the player to your right, then draw up to 5. You can accumulate more cards than the normal hand of 5 but extras must be played or put into a reserve (which can later be played for "free"). I won't go into details here.

Each player has a starting location card - this along with other locations played to your play area are worth (variable) victory points if "unconquered" at the end of the game - they also give you (variable amounts of) time tokens at the time they are played.

Players can attack other players location cards with face down "Enemy" cards, at the same time placing a Dalek (conquest) token, which "conquers it" (locations are worth VP to the controlling player at game end).

If the location card's owner is able to play "Defender" cards to the location on their turn (or already has defenders there face down), both players reveal strengths (enemy remains in place if unbeaten - defender breaks ties). If the defender wins enemy and defender cards are both removed to a discard pile - the defending player then places a TARDIS (defender) token on the location which is effectively a free defence of that location on the next attack - the next attack by another player will remove the TARDIS but also eliminate the attacker.

Support cards often reward players who have been attacking and defending (having conquest or defender tokens of their colour in play), which increaces the incentives to attack and defend locations.

When the game end is triggered you play out your hands one card at a time (without passing cards) which can lead to some hair raising last minute power plays or sighs of frustration if the wrong cards are in hand.

You then add up the points values of your locations that are not currently conquered by another player. You also add the points values of other players' locations which you have conquered.

The card backs of the prototype at Expo were blank, components were not final, and the box was clearly for demonstration purposes only, but the game itself is close to production we were told.

It's a relatively simple take-that sort of game but I certainly enjoyed it. Dominic from Cubicle 7 taught us the rules so I blame him for any mistakes I've made here. whistle

There are a couple of images on Newcastle Gamers site in the Expo gallery : http://www.newcastlegamers.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Cooper
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
I didn't get to demo it myself, but it was at the UK Games Expo last weekend.

They should have had those regular Doctor Who character lookalikes playing this in the lobby area at the Expo - what a missed opportunity! wow

Hopefully there'll be an entry for this game in the BGG database quite soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
So what does this have to do with Doctor Who?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Cooper
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you asking whether this is a generic card game with a (pasted-on) Doctor Who theme?

It seems to tie in with the license Cubicle 7 have for the Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space RPG.

The game uses characters from the Matt Smith episodes. There may be (or may have been) plans to do some sort of expansion with other doctors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
strangecolours wrote:
Are you asking whether this is a generic card game with a (pasted-on) Doctor Who theme?

It seems to tie in with the license Cubicle 7 have for the Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space RPG.

The game uses characters from the Matt Smith episodes. There may be (or may have been) plans to do some sort of expansion with other doctors.

Thanks for responding. Who are you as the player? What is your objective?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Cooper
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are effectively playing both sides simultaneously in Whoniverse terms - the defender of (your own) and the conqueror of (opponents') location cards. As the hand passes round and is drawn from a single deck you can play cards defensively and offensively from the same hand on the same turn.

Each player's location cards are played in a face-up row in front of them and each has a VP value.

Defender cards are Doctor and co, played defensively to your side of your own location.

Enemy/Conquerors are Daleks, Sontarans and co, played offensively to your side of your opponent's location card.

Support cards can affect either of these - discarded when played.

Remember cards can also be placed in a face-down reserve for later.

This might make it (a bit!) clearer - showing part of a 3 player game (red, green, blue tokens):

http://www.newcastlegamers.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IM...

My starting location has at some point been successfully defended and so has a TARDIS marker on it.

My other location is currently conquered by an opponent's enemy card with the red Dalek token (unrevealed until I play a defender card to challenge and reveal it). My opponent will get the VP at the end of the game for the latter location if I don't successfully defend it by that time.

You can see on the other side of the table my Cybermen have conquered one of my opponent's locations - they have been revealed because he has unsuccessfully defended it with weaker cards (you don't find out the strength until you attempt to defend with variable strength defenders).

The unrevealed enemies have a quite thematic feel, as it's often the case that the true enemy in a Doctor Who story can take a little time to discover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little disappointed when I read that short description and the game seemed to be cooperative. Now I wish it was. At least it would be more thematic. The players not having a persona in the game really takes me off the theme. I think something in the lines of Beowulf: The Legend would have worked much better, with each player being a companion helping the Doctor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doctor Who: The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I was a little disappointed when I read that short description and the game seemed to be cooperative. Now I wish it was. At least it would be more thematic. The players not having a persona in the game really takes me off the theme. I think something in the lines of Beowulf: The Legend would have worked much better, with each player being a companion helping the Doctor.

Screw the companions!
This is the perfect franchise to have each player play the main character in his various incarnations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
This is the perfect franchise to have each player play the main character in his various incarnations.

Of course it is. But realistically speaking, do you think it will ever happen? (And I know of The Twelve Doctors, but I mean an official release.) The game is based on the new series, and even so only on the latest incarnation of the Doctor. I was going from there. Now, personally, I woud have preferred that it had come out a couple years ago, so that it would have David Tennant instead of Matt Smith, my least favorite Doctor of the new series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.