Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I've gotten to play Genoa, but we're always hampered by the game setup being a little long, the game lasting a little long, and the explanation of what everything does going...a little long (we end up teaching a lot of our games, this is no exception). However, I absolutely adore the 'everything is negotiable' mechanic that drives Genoa, and that's what brings me back.

Are there any smaller, shorter games that might scratch my itch for insane negotiation? I'm specifically looking at it as the primary mechanic (or shared as a primary mechanic, as with set collection), and not something tacked on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinatown is it (if you can find it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Quo Vadis? comes on the diplome side, Chinatown on the barter side, and I'm the Boss! on the simple extortion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raman Ohri
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Chinatown. If you want even faster, consider Panic on Wall Street!, which is very fast and full of negotiation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quo Vadis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Quo Vadis is the ultimate in simplicity. Its comparable to checkers in complexity, and the mechanics will be familiar to anyone: you have pawns of a certain color, you attempt to advance them on your turn. I've taught it to many non-gamers in 15 minutes.

Also the game plays in half an hour, at which point your table may collectively demand another play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Intrigue, maybe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Intrigue, maybe?

Ah, I just got that one. It looks meaner than Quo Vadis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Pablo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that the next time we play I'm the Boss! I'll have the game end in a fixed number of rounds (12) and remove the draw deck three rounds earlier (round 9). The last game played we used poker chips in the open and everything stalemated (a problem most gamers would have seen prior to the start).

We play Intrigue with poker chips in the open and the nasty backstabbing aspect was not too much of a factor; everyone knew how it would go, only the details remained obscure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicken Caesar will be in the same vein, but it's not quite out yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
photocurio wrote:
Quo Vadis is the ultimate in simplicity. Its comparable to checkers in complexity, and the mechanics will be familiar to anyone: you have pawns of a certain color, you attempt to advance them on your turn. I've taught it to many non-gamers in 15 minutes.

Also the game plays in half an hour, at which point your table may collectively demand another play!

Intriguing game, but I wouldn't count on it taking only half an hour. My group negotiates and looks for every edge possible. This can go several times that long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Aye, 90 to 120 minutes is more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump is a really old game that really pioneered the negotiation mechanic. Genoa does it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon's Gold? NEGOTIATION ON SPEED; so quick it is controlled by a sand timer (approx 40-60 seconds)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game worth checking out is Bohnanza. You don't list it in your collection, so perhaps you haven't tried it. But it's all about negotiation and screwing over your opponents. It's a fair bit lighter than Genoa, and much faster, too. Plus, it's cheap to find!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Chinatown. And although it's Genoa-lite, it's a game that I enjoy just about as much as Genoa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinatown is a good game, but the last few rounds are bogged down because the payoffs are too easy to calculate.

I like Lords of Vegas. Lots of room for negotiation and deal-making, but the randomness keeps things unpredictable. Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Eschnapur. Can lead to some really far-out negotiations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.