Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When you break down a 3-step squad, each part gets 1/3 of the ammo if they all have A VOF. (Random distribution of remaining ammo after dividing by 3.) What about A/S VOF? It says you need to track ammo when they fire A VOF, but in the example on page 39 (just before section 7 starts), ammo is divided only between the A VOF teams and the A/S VOF team isn’t mentioned. Do they only get ammo when A VOF squads/teams are not available?

2. 6.2 says, “Primary Direction of Fire (PDF) markers are a mnemonic device to show where a VOF originated. When a firing unit places a Basic VOF marker on any target card other than its card a PDF marker must also be placed.” This statement fools you because it doesn’t speak of other types of fire placing a PDF. I believe the following is clearer and I hope it’s correct: Direct Fire places a PDF marker when the target card is different than its own card. And this is the only time a PDF marker is placed. So this means a G! VOF, whether it hits or not, doesn’t create crossfire. Is that correct?

3. The last part of 9.1.5 says, “You can move vehicles through Terrain Cards without resolving their PC Markers. Resolve contact only on the card where the vehicle ends movement”. Isn’t it the same for a squad? What if a unit is on a card with an enemy VOF and the unit infiltrates to another card that has a PC M. Next, he moves onto a card with an enemy. What happens on the card with the PC M? Is it activated or ignored? If activated, it can’t shoot at the unit that activated it because he’s currently on a card with an enemy.

4. Can a bunker shoot in one direction or three? It seems like 45 degrees left and right and straight give it 3 directions, but the rules do say “fire only in the indicated direction”, which I guess is 1 and not 3?

5. When a squad gets hit and turned into 2 steps and a Litter Team, shouldn’t only the Litter Team be Pinned? I think the 2-step squad is supposed to be Pinned, too, but I feel I need to mention it so someone can say “Pin them all; NEXT!”.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hull
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. When you break down a 3-step squad, each part gets 1/3 of the ammo if they all have A VOF. (Random distribution of remaining ammo after dividing by 3.) What about A/S VOF? It says you need to track ammo when they fire A VOF, but in the example on page 39 (just before section 7 starts), ammo is divided only between the A VOF teams and the A/S VOF team isn’t mentioned. Do they only get ammo when A VOF squads/teams are not available?

A VOF Squads are built around a machine gun that generates the automatic weapons fire volume of fire. The squad break down chart indicates how those squads are reduced in sequence as they always man the machine gun. The ammo stays with the machine gun. A/S VOF squads are do not have a machine gun, they are mostly carrying assault rifles (AK47 or M16). These weapons can generate A at point blank range, but produce small arms fir at longer ranges. A/S squads do not track ammo.

Quote:
2. 6.2 says, “Primary Direction of Fire (PDF) markers are a mnemonic device to show where a VOF originated. When a firing unit places a Basic VOF marker on any target card other than its card a PDF marker must also be placed.” This statement fools you because it doesn’t speak of other types of fire placing a PDF. I believe the following is clearer and I hope it’s correct: Direct Fire places a PDF marker when the target card is different than its own card. And this is the only time a PDF marker is placed. So this means a G! VOF, whether it hits or not, doesn’t create crossfire. Is that correct?

The rule is not intended to fool anyone. The game does not implement Direct Fire as a game term. As technically speaking Direct Fire is not the trajectory of the projectile but the ability of the shooter to see the target. The implications of G! VOF should be covered in the appropriate rules section for grenade attacks and crossfire, not in the PDF section.

Quote:
3. The last part of 9.1.5 says, “You can move vehicles through Terrain Cards without resolving their PC Markers. Resolve contact only on the card where the vehicle ends movement”. Isn’t it the same for a squad? What if a unit is on a card with an enemy VOF and the unit infiltrates to another card that has a PC M. Next, he moves onto a card with an enemy. What happens on the card with the PC M? Is it activated or ignored? If activated, it can’t shoot at the unit that activated it because he’s currently on a card with an enemy.

No, infantry must stop movement when they enter a card with a PC marker on it. In your example the advantage of the infiltration is that the unit is not exposed if contact is made.

Quote:
4. Can a bunker shoot in one direction or three? It seems like 45 degrees left and right and straight give it 3 directions, but the rules do say “fire only in the indicated direction”, which I guess is 1 and not 3?

The one direction indicated by the arrow

Quote:
5. When a squad gets hit and turned into 2 steps and a Litter Team, shouldn’t only the Litter Team be Pinned? I think the 2-step squad is supposed to be Pinned, too, but I feel I need to mention it so someone can say “Pin them all; NEXT!”.

They are all pinned, as the squad was HIT and a HIT = PIN plus Hit result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Latall
United States
Whittier
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
• 1) Since the squads are broken down in sequence, when you split 1 fire team off, leaving a 2-step squad, is the fire team always the first type that’s listed or always the last type because the MG would stay with the 2-step squad or do you roll and randomly select one to be the fire team and the remaining 2 types of fire teams will be used when the 2-step squad is disbanded?

• 1) To divide ammo, divide the ammo evenly between any A VOF Teams and divide the extra randomly?

• 2) When I read that “a unit that fires basic VOF places a PDF on the target card”, I thought for the longest time that that was the only time a PDF was placed. I finally thought I had a rule for when it was placed when I thought of Direct Fire. The reason I’m trying to come up with a rule for this is that crossfire applies when there’s 2 things that follow the rule, i.e. 2 PDF markers create crossfire. Then, I would always know when I had crossfire from this one simple rule. Can you come up with a rule that would make sense? Also, does fire within the same card ever help create crossfire, even though it doesn’t place a PDF marker?

Thanks and have a great day!
Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klatall wrote:
• 1) Since the squads are broken down in sequence, when you split 1 fire team off, leaving a 2-step squad, is the fire team always the first type that’s listed or always the last type because the MG would stay with the 2-step squad or do you roll and randomly select one to be the fire team and the remaining 2 types of fire teams will be used when the 2-step squad is disbanded?

• 1) To divide ammo, divide the ammo evenly between any A VOF Teams and divide the extra randomly?

• 2) When I read that “a unit that fires basic VOF places a PDF on the target card”, I thought for the longest time that that was the only time a PDF was placed. I finally thought I had a rule for when it was placed when I thought of Direct Fire. The reason I’m trying to come up with a rule for this is that crossfire applies when there’s 2 things that follow the rule, i.e. 2 PDF markers create crossfire. Then, I would always know when I had crossfire from this one simple rule. Can you come up with a rule that would make sense? Also, does fire within the same card ever help create crossfire, even though it doesn’t place a PDF marker?

(see my other post for your first question in your new thread)

For the last ammo piece, randomly assign it.

For PDFs, it's fairly straight forward right now I think. Basic VOF (S, A, H & A/S) places a PDF, Special VOF does not (see 6.2.2, first paragraph under the graphic). An exception is when on-map mortars fire using Direct Lay (6.7.4), and therefore place a PDF and can help create a crossfire.

A unit attacking an enemy on the same card does not contribute to a crossfire. Both sides however are subjected to incoming PDFs, no matter who's behind those PDFs, so you could have a situations where Germans and American's are creating a crossfire on a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.