United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Will W wrote:
I'd like to pose this question: Should there be a card or a mechanic in VQ to represent infighting among the Dutch leaders if they get too successful?

In the game, my impression is that if Spain loses the Netherlands, even a partial reconquest is unlikely. A good Protestant player should be able to barricade keys and fortresses, and hire mercenaries to wear down the Spanish.

I feel that this is already represented by multiple cards:

Council of Troubles, Union of Arras, and Tenth penny will be much sought after cards for the Spanish and would roll-back a strong Protestant player. The Council of Troubles if timed right will cripple the Protestant for a turn.

Cards such as Spanish Fury, Sack, and Siege Engineering all assist in taking Protestant strongpoints.

Luxembourg is the center of your reconquest, if you are doing poorly as Spain in the Netherlands, get a fortress there and slowly rebuild.

Finally the Protestants have to focus on two regions at once: even if they are winning the Dutch zone overwhelmingly, they are likely losing the war in France. Three keys in the Netherlands and no keys in France means the Protestant is still only drawing four cards. Once the Prots try to focus on the French zone, hammer them in the Netherlands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey! I'm the voice of historicity!

Thinking myself about a whole different game: starting from 1572, just after the Massacre, focused on the Netherlands revolt. Two player - - basically Philip vs William of Orange.

Politics in the era happened elsewhere, yeah, but the Revolt is good center point. As far as the Dutch, the question was if and when they'd get a bit of help; as far as Spain, how much distraction they had to put up with.

If you want Infighting in a game, you could have it in spades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.