designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

From those you list I'd agree on:

- downtime
- lack of control
- too cramped
- too chaotic

But I'd have another reason not to be interested in something like this, which is:

Don't mess with what works!

T&E is the masterpiece of a master designer. Usually, when people mess with masterpieces, they make a master mess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The first issue I'd see is that 4 players is already too many really in the sense that one of the players, usually the last one, is in an untenable position virtually from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 5 or 6 player might work if you created an entirely new board, i..e one where the fourth, fifth and sixth players aren't starting without any good places to go (although to be fair, in our T&E tournaments, the goat seems to do surprisingly well).

Of course, with a new board, you'd need to come up with a new quantity of tiles and tile distribution. If you did all that, I think T&E could play well with 5 or 6.

I can't remember if the Nile map changed the tile distribution or not, but it certainly created a new map that worked better with just 2 players. I think you'd need to do something comparable to move up to 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee;

Yes, I think that is the problem.

Even if one created a different board, as my brilliant wife points out, this isn't the sort of game where one would necessarily want to wait for potentially five other people to go. I look at the game as virtually abstract, a good thing IMO, and the more players there are, the less control a person has of the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
And yet the BGG listing says T&E is best for 4 players. Hmm ...

Also:

Quote:
The Hans im Glück version states it is for 2-4 players; the Mayfair Games version states it is for 3-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Also:

Quote:
The Hans im Glück version states it is for 2-4 players; the Mayfair Games version states it is for 3-4 players.

Yes, it's listed as 4 players. What's your point?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
The HiG printing supports 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Also:

Quote:

Yes, it's listed as 4 players. What's your point?

I imagine Patrick is commenting on the downtime issue, if 4 to 5 is such a great problem, you would think 3 to 4 might be a similar issue, yet its more recommended with 4, i.e. probably its more a case of space and room on the board, though I'm only guessing here.

Yeah, that and Moshe's comment about one player being "in an untenable position" when there are 4 players.

I'm babbling out of ignorance here, never having played the game, but I've heard a couple T&E fans say they think it's best with 2 players, and that would make sense, given some of the comments about 4 players. So, I'm surprised to see that the game is supposedly best with 4, according to popular opinion.

I'm especially surprised to learn that the current edition is for just 3 or 4 players. A few years ago, it seemed like everybody recommending T&E to me was raving about what a great 2-player game it makes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The first issue I'd see is that 4 players is already too many really in the sense that one of the players, usually the last one, is in an untenable position virtually from the start.

This is false. According to some stats from a few years ago, the fourth player has a lower win percentage than the third, the third lower than the second, and the second lower than the first. But untenable? Um, no.

I don't mind at all starting last. I wonder if the stats have tightened up any as people have gained experience over the years.

Quote:

I'm babbling out of ignorance here, never having played the game, but I've heard a couple T&E fans say they think it's best with 2 players, and that would make sense, given some of the comments about 4 players. So, I'm surprised to see that the game is supposedly best with 4, according to popular opinion.

I think it's best with four, also. Three-player is a bit different, and 2-player has an entirely different feel. All are excellent, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
Quote:

This is false. According to some stats from a few years ago, the fourth player has a lower win percentage than the third, the third lower than the second, and the second lower than the first. But untenable? Um, no.

I don't mind at all starting last. I wonder if the stats have tightened up any as people have gained experience over the years.

Quote:

I think it's best with four, also. Three-player is a bit different, and 2-player has an entirely different feel. All are excellent, however.

I was careful in my wording and said usually the 4th player-- not always. In my experience of the game, one player in a 4 player game is always pretty much out of it from the beginning, with rare exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
I was careful in my wording and said usually the 4th player-- not always.

Not careful enough: Your statement is worded so that one player is always in an untenable position.

Quote:
In my experience of the game, one player in a 4 player game is always pretty much out of it from the beginning, with rare exceptions.

That has rarely been the case in the 444 plays I've logged so far. Even rarer will it happen to a good player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

There is a lot of commentary on a lot of games asserting lower player counts--two or maybe three--is best. Many gamers seem to prefer an open board with less competition and, especially, less need to react to the play of other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
photocurio wrote:
The HiG printing supports 2p.
All printings support two player, it's just that the Mayfair copy says 3-4 on the box. Same pieces, same map, same rules. It works two player, you don't need the HiG edition meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Not careful enough: Your statement is worded so that one player is always in an untenable position.

Quote:
In my experience of the game, one player in a 4 player game is always pretty much out of it from the beginning, with rare exceptions.

That has rarely been the case in the 444 plays I've logged so far. Even rarer will it happen to a good player.

Yes, among a et of four, one will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnitzelcore wrote:
whac3 wrote:
orangeblood wrote:
whac3 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, among a et of four, one will be.

Not in my (reigning bgg 4p knockout champion) experience.

Will too.

Won't neither.

Will too.

Won't neither.

. . .

Now, that's the voice of experience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnitzelcore wrote:

Not in my experience.

completely agree.

schnitzelcore wrote:

Not in my (reigning bgg 4p knockout champion) experience.

oh yeah! not for long! when's the next tournament? come on, I'm ready to go.

You know you'll have a huge target on your back which the rest of us will be happy to encourage and take advantege of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.