Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While functionally, these can be considered to be very similar to custom dice (and can, in fact, be implemented through multiple rolls), but it would be helpful to be able to do a XchooseY type of roll, which would be more of a card deck than a die roll, or would be a die roll where you reroll all duplicates.

Is there any plan to add this to the geek roller? Alternatively, is it already there and I just missed it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendall Merriman
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Allow me to necro my own thread!

I didn't get any answers, and I was curious again, so I figured I'd see what else I could find out.

What I would like to be able to do is have a roll like "5kcustom25{Name 1; Name 2; Name 3; ...}". I'm sure this wouldn't be that hard to do, but there's still got to be a sensible way to do it. I certainly could do a series of die rolls, one at a time, where I remove the previously rolled value, but it seems like the card deck would be a better way to do that. Then again, maybe you're trying to avoid adding a lot of stuff to it.

Of course, a later draw from the same deck would be hard to pull off, since you'd either have to reference the previous "roll" (which I remember seeing was not currently an option), or you'd have to respecify the deck to remove the drawn cards.

Maybe the right solution is a "reroll duplicates" option. You could even write it as "require unique values" and add it as the option code "u".

Two good cases I can see for it would be splitting a player list ("5custom10u{...}") or ordering a list ("5custom5u{...}"). But I'm sure there are some other good things to do with it.

Any takers? Anyone else think this could be useful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm diging around right now to try to find if anyone is following this up. I would like to help make this happen.

I wonder what it took for Sol to do the dice roller, with DB design and web integration?
Maybe some things can be shared, but a new option like draw can be added.

I particularly like the idea of a persistent deck but it has MANY many problems associated, like accidentally drawing cards, how to undo a draw that shouldn't have happened?

I'm glad someone is interested in a similar feature

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.