mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I was playing a game against the ancient one (i forget the name.. Yibb something, maybe) thats has a rule "Investigators may not have more than 5 clues at a time.
If an investigator has 4 clues, and moves into a location with 2 clues on the board, what happens? Does he just pick up one clue leaving the 2nd behind, or does he take both, then discard the excess. Nothing in the rules of the ancient suggests this, but who knows

Also, do elusive monsters move away from investigators in the same location as them if the mythos card makes them move?

Can you trade missions/tasks? if they are partially completed, do they remain partially completed or reset?

Does summon shantak allow you to move through spaces with monsters? or only leave a space with a monster and end in a space with a monster without combat occurring?

thanks
Mateo
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought about whether you can pick up multiple clues or not, so I will leave that one to others who are better versed than I am. I think that I can help with the other questions though.

Elusive monsters ignore investigators for the purpose of moving. This is not in any rulebook, but was on an official FAQ.

You can trade missions and tasks. Just like other items that are partially used, they keep their partially fulfilled conditions when they transfer.

Encountering a monster is done when leaving a space or concluding your movement phase. You can do things in a space (such as read tomes or cast spells) with a monster in your space. Thus, Summon Shantak allows you to move through a space with a monster, as you would only encounter the monster as you leave the space. If you end your move in a space with a monster , then you must fight or evade it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
I was playing a game against the ancient one (i forget the name.. Yibb something, maybe) thats has a rule "Investigators may not have more than 5 clues at a time.
If an investigator has 4 clues, and moves into a location with 2 clues on the board, what happens? Does he just pick up one clue leaving the 2nd behind, or does he take both, then discard the excess. Nothing in the rules of the ancient suggests this, but who knows

Also, do elusive monsters move away from investigators in the same location as them if the mythos card makes them move?

Can you trade missions/tasks? if they are partially completed, do they remain partially completed or reset?

Does summon shantak allow you to move through spaces with monsters? or only leave a space with a monster and end in a space with a monster without combat occurring?

thanks
Mateo
That would be Yibb-Tstll.

As you may not possess more than 5 Clues, you may only pick up one of the two Clues, leaving the other for a colleague. If you had an Encounter that gave you two Clues to add to your four, then you would discard down to a total of five.

Monsters that move do exactly that - move. It doesn't matter if there's an Investigator in the location or not. Mythos says "move", Monster moves. It's irrelevant what sort of Monster it is (apart from a Stalker that is in the location of an Investigator).

You can trade Missions/Tasks, but they reset.

Summon Shantak doesn't allow you to pass through a location with a Monster. It allows you to begin Movement in a location with a Monster, and ignore that Monster. Entering a location with a Monster ends your Movement; Summon Shantak merely allows you to ignore the Evade/Combat that would normally automatically ensue.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick R
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Monsters that move do exactly that - move. It doesn't matter if there's an Investigator in the location or not. Mythos says "move", Monster moves.

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but are you sure about this? The base game manual says that if a monster shares a location with an investigator, it doesn't move. Likewise, it stops moving when it enters the same location as an investigator.
7 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Mighty Pope wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
Monsters that move do exactly that - move. It doesn't matter if there's an Investigator in the location or not. Mythos says "move", Monster moves.

Maybe I'm overlooking something, but are you sure about this? The base game manual says that if a monster shares a location with an investigator, it doesn't move. Likewise, it stops moving when it enters the same location as an investigator.
You are right, mccrispy is wrong. A monster in a location with an investigator does not move when it is called to do so. The exception is elusive. Those monsters do move away.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
mccrispy wrote:

Monsters that move do exactly that - move. It doesn't matter if there's an Investigator in the location or not. Mythos says "move", Monster moves. It's irrelevant what sort of Monster it is (apart from a Stalker that is in the location of an Investigator).

From the AH wiki:

Most monsters move during the Mythos phase, after any gates have been opened and clue tokens have been placed. The player who drew the mythos card looks at the bottom-right corner of the card to determine monster movement. The black and white boxes on the card contain dimensional symbols; each monster that has a matching dimensional symbol moves along the black or white track for its current area. Exceptions: Monsters that are in the same area as an investigator do not move and remain in place.

Stalker monsters move like normal (black border) monsters unless an investigator is in an adjacent street area or unstable location, in which case they move to that area.

Quote:

Summon Shantak doesn't allow you to pass through a location with a Monster. It allows you to begin Movement in a location with a Monster, and ignore that Monster. Entering a location with a Monster ends your Movement; Summon Shantak merely allows you to ignore the Evade/Combat that would normally automatically ensue.


This isn't correct. You encounter a monster when you either end your turn on a space with one or try to leave a space with one. In the later instance you must encounter the monster and attempt a sneak check. If you succeed you may continue moving. If you fail you take a "hit" from the monster and must encounter it as normal.

Summon Shantak DOES let you pass through spaces with monsters without needing to encounter them.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:


You can trade Missions/Tasks, but they reset.




Why would they reset? 2 shot tomes that have been read once don't reset, nor would a silver key, crystal of the elder things, enchanted jewelry etc.. Why would tasks and missions be a special case?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
jackalope wrote:
mccrispy wrote:


You can trade Missions/Tasks, but they reset.




Why would they reset? 2 shot tomes that have been read once don't reset, nor would a silver key, crystal of the elder things, enchanted jewelry etc.. Why would tasks and missions be a special case?

I am pretty sure this is correct. The reason they reset is that the investigator himself is supposed to be the one to run to these places. It falls more in line with "explored gate markers" instead of the items you have listed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
Summon Shantak DOES let you pass through spaces with monsters without needing to encounter them.
Yeah, you could read it that way, but it refers specifically (though clumsily) to "leave or end" - the start or end movement triggers. If it allowed you to move through Monsters "along the way", it could have said "you may ignore all Monsters during Movement" (though, I'll grant that the typical AH clumsy phrasing my have actually meant that)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No, you do not have to pick up clues if you move onto the space. This comes in handy when you are first in turn order, have one clue and go to trade a gate trophy for two more clues and someone with three clues later in the turn order does the same. The first player can ignore the clue so that the later investigator can have enough for the seal.

2) Elusive monsters do move away, because the investigator is unaware of its presence. Other monsters are frozen in place if an investigator is present, because they are a wild beast and you're in their space and they are protecting their territory. It's up to the investigator to either escape or initiate combat.

Missions and Tasks can be traded, but according to the rules, if they are traded, they are reset.

Don't have Summon Shantak right here, so I'll defer to mccrispy, who usually knows what he's talking about; although, we disagree about monsters moving if they are in the same location as an investigator when their symbol comes up.

Brian

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Vajcovec
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
allstar64 wrote:
Summon Shantak DOES let you pass through spaces with monsters without needing to encounter them.
Yeah, you could read it that way, but it refers specifically (though clumsily) to "leave or end" - the start or end movement triggers. If it allowed you to move through Monsters "along the way", it could have said "you may ignore all Monsters during Movement" (though, I'll grant that the typical AH clumsy phrasing my have actually meant that)

I agree that it's clumsy, but I don't think you're parsing that sentence correctly. It says "you may leave or end your movement in spaces containing monsters without encountering the monsters this turn."

It sounds like you're reading it as:

you may 'leave' or 'end' your movement in spaces containing monsters...

I think it's meant to be read as:

you may 'leave' or 'end your movement in' spaces containing monsters...

Instead of "leave your movement", which you're interpreting as the start movement trigger, it's "leave spaces" which occurs throughout your movement. I don't know of any other place where "leave" is a reference to the start of your movement only. Are there other examples where that is the case?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
1) No, you do not have to pick up clues if you move onto the space. This comes in handy when you are first in turn order, have one clue and go to trade a gate trophy for two more clues and someone with three clues later in the turn order does the same. The first player can ignore the clue so that the later investigator can have enough for the seal.

2) Elusive monsters do move away, because the investigator is unaware of its presence. Other monsters are frozen in place if an investigator is present, because they are a wild beast and you're in their space and they are protecting their territory. It's up to the investigator to either escape or initiate combat.

Missions and Tasks can be traded, but according to the rules, if they are traded, they are reset.

Don't have Summon Shantak right here, so I'll defer to mccrispy, who usually knows what he's talking about; although, we disagree about monsters moving if they are in the same location as an investigator when their symbol comes up.

Brian




Are you sure about the Clue thing? Cause it'd make a huge difference when facing Ghatanothoa (you risk getting Devoured by him every time you pick up 2 Clues)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
1) No, you do not have to pick up clues if you move onto the space. This comes in handy when you are first in turn order, have one clue and go to trade a gate trophy for two more clues and someone with three clues later in the turn order does the same. The first player can ignore the clue so that the later investigator can have enough for the seal.

2) Elusive monsters do move away, because the investigator is unaware of its presence. Other monsters are frozen in place if an investigator is present, because they are a wild beast and you're in their space and they are protecting their territory. It's up to the investigator to either escape or initiate combat.

Missions and Tasks can be traded, but according to the rules, if they are traded, they are reset.

Don't have Summon Shantak right here, so I'll defer to mccrispy, who usually knows what he's talking about; although, we disagree about monsters moving if they are in the same location as an investigator when their symbol comes up.

Brian




Are you sure about the Clue thing? Cause it'd make a huge difference when facing Ghatanothoa (you risk getting Devoured by him every time you pick up 2 Clues)

Page 8 of the base rulebook:

Picking Up Clues
Any time an investigator ends his movement in a location that contains Clue tokens, he may immediately take any or all of those Clue tokens.

I bolded the key terms.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
Are you sure about the Clue thing? Cause it'd make a huge difference when facing Ghatanothoa (you risk getting Devoured by him every time you pick up 2 Clues)
What's a bit of risk at The End of The World? Grab those Clues ya wimp! We love Ghatanothoa, that AO really piles on the tension (like good ol' Quachil Uttaus does with his wonderfull Dust Deck.)

Live for the fear!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you like the really "hands-on" Ancient Ones as well? 'Quach' is my favorite of all! (and Ghatanothoa's somewhere around 2nd) I've never had the first 1st player survive the Dust Deck for a whole game...not even once. But it always makes for the best "story"...


Yog-Sothoth is the scariest from the base game- he/it lurks between the Gates, waiting to Devour if you screw up in the Other Worlds...


Back to topic.... Big G is nearly impossible to beat, my "team" needs every advantage they can get...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In regards to "Summon Shantak", I think if you recast the sentence in question as two sentences, it is less stumbly and very clear.

Instead of:
"In addition, you may (leave) or (end your movement in) spaces containing monsters without encountering the monsters this turn."

Read:
"In addition, you may leave spaces containing monsters without encountering the monsters this turn. In addition, you may end your movement in spaces containing monsters without encountering the monsters this turn."

Also, while I'm seldom one to argue a rules point based on "theme", I can't see the Shantak launching itself into the air with an Investigator clinging to his back... then land, walk most of the way, and launch again for the final landing.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kitching
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jackalope wrote:
Why would they reset? 2 shot tomes that have been read once don't reset, nor would a silver key, crystal of the elder things, enchanted jewelry etc.. Why would tasks and missions be a special case?


They reset because of DH page 5:

"There is no time limit for a Task/Mission, but if it is discarded or given to another investigator, all Clue tokens are removed from the Task/Mission card."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.