Subject: Investigators that draw an extra card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Paton
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
These include Dexter Drake, Amanda Sharpe and Monterey Jack in the original game, not sure if there are more.

My question is, do they get to keep an additional card? E.g. dexter draws 3 spells keeps 2, amanda 3 skills keeps 2 and monterey 4 unique items can buy 2?

This is my first post and im sure it must have been asked before but I cant find a definite FAQ on it, and my group seem to disagree, saying it just gives them more choice in what they get, which seems slightly weak when compared to some of the other abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Your group is right it only lets you look at more, doesn't actually get you more. The deck yankers include the three you mentioned and Bob Jenkins.

For the most part it is a little weaker than some of the other abilities out there. Bob can get away with it cause he has very good stats and starting items but Dexter Drake, Amanda Sharpe and Monterey Jack all have other stat issues which drag them down.

That being said you draw one more than the instructed amount and keep the amount you are told to keep. This works on their starting gear as well.

So for example Dexter starts with 2 random spells (in addition to his 1 fixed spell). He draws 3 random spells and keeps 2 of them (in addition to his 1 fixed spell).

If he later gets an encounter that says gain a spell he draws 2 and keeps whichever one he wants.

And if still later he goes to ye old magic shop he draws 3 spells after paying his 5 dollars and keeps 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Paton
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
Thanks for clearing that up, I hadn't thought about the setup aswell, so that helps a bit I guess but still dont fancy trying to come up with the $8 just to get amanda one more skill!

Looking forward to getting expansions and more characters, already slightly bored/finding the base game a bit easy, not sure if we are doing everything right though, this might require another post with a list of questions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Jamraptors wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up, I hadn't thought about the setup aswell, so that helps a bit I guess but still dont fancy trying to come up with the $8 just to get amanda one more skill!

Looking forward to getting expansions and more characters, already slightly bored/finding the base game a bit easy, not sure if we are doing everything right though, this might require another post with a list of questions...

Yeah Amanda is one of my least favorite characters in this game. I've heard her described as being a Jack of many trades, poor at them all. Having her stats maxed at 4 all around really gives her no particular place to specialize in and unless she draws good skills not very much to do either.

She suffers from the fact that all investigators effectively start with $25 worth of starting gear and at least 1 skill (ie random common item->$3, Random unique item->$5, clue token->$2). $10 of her starting gear go towards getting her second starting skill (note that a starting ally also costs an investigator $10). I would gladly take 2 random unique items over 1 random skill any day.

Add in the fact that skills are pretty hard to come by normally and you get a character with underwhelming stats, poor starting items, and a very weak ability.

I've often felt that the "deck yankers" should have been allowed to use their abilities once per turn but for any investigator (I mean which is the stronger ability? look at an extra card or re-roll all failed dice?) with the exception Amanda. She should have been able to use her ability multiple times a turn and for all investigators (ie all investigators get to draw 2 random skills and keep one during setup).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.