Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For people new to what I am doing (if you already know, jump below the line):

If you are here I assume you are interested in designing games or want to know what people here are designing and you are exactly who I am looking for.

Currently I am in the process of designing a dungeon crawler board game and I want your feedback to make this game the best it can be. Thus I will be periodically posting my game ideas for everyone here to review.

Since this will be a big game, I will be breaking it into small chunks.

For some background, the game will be a GMless (aka no GM or DM) scenario based dungeon crawler in which players have custom heroes that will (of course) wander a dungeon dealing with many different types of encounters throughout the game, including traps, social situations, combat, etc.

* denotes areas where I am having some bigger difficulties. (aka I have no good ideas on how to implement something)

If you like the idea and don't feel like posting please give it a thumbs up, this way I can get some idea of people's general opinions. Thank you.

Next on the list is the combat system, I will be continuing from my previous posts so if you need a quick refresher on the characters and how the battles are setup you can refer to my previous posts below:
dungeon crawler: monster encounter setup
dungeon crawler: character building

On to the combat system

The board has a max size of a 6X6 square grid (in several different shapes) and characters can share spaces. Characters move only in the cardinal directions. If a character moves into a space with an opponent they must stop their movement (special abilities withstanding)

To perform melee attacks you must be in the same grid space as the character you are attacking. Ranged abilities can attack enemies in the same square as themselves (and count as melee attacks in this case) along with having a range, but will generally lower the melee defenses of the character making the attack.

Melee combat will be based on an engage/disengage system. To perform melee attacks a character must be in the same grid space as the character they are attacking and usually attacks will cause the character being attacked to engage the attacking character. When a character (hero or monster) is engaged with another character(or characters) he/she is locked in melee combat and neither character can leave their current position without first disengaging from each opponent. Melee combat cards will be based on this premise, so a defender character could have a card that allows him to engage all enemies in his space and gain a bonus to defenses, thus keeping enemies from attacking squishy ranged characters and rogues will have abilities that give bonuses for attacking enemies that are engaged with other characters and abilities that avoid engaging enemies.

Ranged combat will focus on combat card hand management. Each ranged attack either magic or ranged will have a range and will usually entail discarding cards to use or enhance said ability. For example magic attacks will either require you to discard a number of cards from hand to use the ability or will be weak, but for each card you discard when you play it the attack will increase damage or increase the number of targets with the attack, etc. This will be similar for archers, in which you can use a card at range 1, but to increase the range by 1 you can discard a card, etc.

Here is part 1 of the combat system, ideas and suggestion are once again always appreciated.

dungeon crawler: combat system part 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.