Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Dominion: Dark Ages» Forums » General

Subject: Speculation mean cards to come rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruin
Type: Ruin
Cost: 0
(It is just an empty card)

OR

Ruin
Type: Ruin
Cost: 0
Text: when you trash this card gain a Relic.

Name: Relic
Type: Treasure
Value: 1
Cost:* (only can be gained from Ruin)
Text: When you play this card +1 Victory Chip.

Shelter
Type: Reaction
Cost: 0
Text: When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

Name: Ravine
Type: Victory
Cost: 5
Value: 2VP
Text: When you gain this card you may trash any number of cards from your hand.

Name: Plague
Type: Action - Attack
Cost: 5
Text: Each other player discards down to 3 and gains a curse.

Name: Barbarians
Type: Action - Attack
Cost: 5
Text: +2 Cards. Each other player discards a card from their hand and gains a ruin in their hand.

Name: Beg
Type: Action - Attack
Cost: 3/4
Text: Each other player trashes a copper from their hand, you gain all coppers trashed this way.

Name: Marauders
Type: Action - Attack
Text: +2 Cards. Each other player draws 2 cards and places one card from their hand on top of their deck. Each other player reveals their hand; you choose a card from each hand and discard it.
Cost:5
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Undrdatree wrote:
Shelter
Type: Reaction
Cost: 0
Text: When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

So if I ever have an extra buy, I can get a free Moat? Seems too powerful for a card that costs as much as a Copper.

If you discarded or trashed the card to get the effect, that would be different.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Undrdatree wrote:
Shelter
Type: Reaction
Cost: 0
Text: When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, you are unaffected by that Attack.

So if I ever have an extra buy, I can get a free Moat? Seems too powerful for a card that costs as much as a Copper.

If you discarded or trashed the card to get the effect, that would be different.


Yea, your probably right, if shelter is a kingdom card. I was thinking shelter would only be available when making your starting deck. You could trade any number of your starting estates for shelter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt shelters are going to protect against every attack, as it would drastically change the balance of the current cards (since everyone begins with them). I'd expect something like this :

Shelter
Type : Reaction
Cost : 1
When you would gain a Ruin card, you may trash this card. If you do, gain an Estate instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
I doubt shelters are going to protect against every attack, as it would drastically change the balance of the current cards (since everyone begins with them). I'd expect something like this :

Shelter
Type : Reaction
Cost : 1
When you would gain a Ruin card, you may trash this card. If you do, gain an Estate instead.


The problem with that version is that there are too few cards to react to.
Also it didn't say everyone begins with them, just that they may/will be used instead of them. So i might start 2 estates and 1 shelter 7 copper.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
Dystopian wrote:
I doubt shelters are going to protect against every attack, as it would drastically change the balance of the current cards (since everyone begins with them).


My guess is a.)they're not available in the supply and b.)that its recommended that you use them only in games with Dark Ages cards (likely via some formula like the one used for colony/platinum). Starting with "Moats" would allow Dark Ages to include much more brutal attacks at a reasonable cost without bogging down the early game too much. Some other possibilities are them being defensive one-shots, either getting trashed or replaced with estates if used defensively. Looking forward to finding out!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Undrdatree wrote:
I doubt shelters are going to protect against every attack, as it would drastically change the balance of the current cards (since everyone begins with them).

I'll be surprised if they protect against anything at all. Given the theme of the expansion, I interpret "shelter" to mean the bare minimum to survive, not a safe place.

Undrdatree wrote:
Also it didn't say everyone begins with them, just that they may/will be used instead of them. So i might start 2 estates and 1 shelter 7 copper.

The game description says they will replace starting Estates. I doubt there will be a choice as to how many are replaced. The theme suggests players are essentially penniless beggars; it wouldn't make sense to start with any Estates.

kevincos wrote:
Starting with "Moats" would allow Dark Ages to include much more brutal attacks at a reasonable cost without bogging down the early game too much.

This wouldn't work because the kingdom cards in Dark Ages have to be balanced with the kingdom cards from other sets. Unless there are kingdom cards to be included in the mix only if the game is played with "Dark Ages rules" (i.e. Shelters instead of Estates).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:
I'll be surprised if they protect against anything at all. Given the theme of the expansion, I interpret "shelter" to mean the bare minimum to survive, not a safe place.

The game description says they will replace starting Estates. I doubt there will be a choice as to how many are replaced. The theme suggests players are essentially penniless beggars; it wouldn't make sense to start with any Estates.

This wouldn't work because the kingdom cards in Dark Ages have to be balanced with the kingdom cards from other sets. Unless there are kingdom cards to be included in the mix only if the game is played with "Dark Ages rules" (i.e. Shelters instead of Estates).


If shelters provide the minimum to survive, whats more of a minimum than Estate in dominion? 1/2 a victory point?
If there isn't a choice in how many shelters you play then how do you determine when to play shelters? like colony?
I don't interpret the flavor text as describing the beginning of a journey, but a continuation from other flavor texts. The text, to me, describes a person who owned a castle but left the castle because it was attacked, looted and disease ridden.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Undrdatree wrote:
If shelters provide the minimum to survive, whats more of a minimum than Estate in dominion? 1/2 a victory point?

There is a middle ground between Curse and Estate. For example:

Shelter ($0)
Victory-Reaction
0 VP
When you gain a Victory card, trash this.

Undrdatree wrote:
If there isn't a choice in how many shelters you play then how do you determine when to play shelters? like colony?

Yes, I expect the rules will be similar. For example: If five or more cards from Dark Ages are among the kingdom cards, replace the three Estates with three Shelters in each player's starting deck.

Undrdatree wrote:
I don't interpret the flavor text as describing the beginning of a journey, but a continuation from other flavor texts. The text, to me, describes a person who owned a castle but left the castle because it was attacked, looted and disease ridden.

I wasn't suggesting a journey. I was suggesting that it doesn't make thematic sense for someone who has abandoned their castle and is begging for a living to also have Estates.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
binaryeye wrote:

kevincos wrote:
Starting with "Moats" would allow Dark Ages to include much more brutal attacks at a reasonable cost without bogging down the early game too much.

This wouldn't work because the kingdom cards in Dark Ages have to be balanced with the kingdom cards from other sets. Unless there are kingdom cards to be included in the mix only if the game is played with "Dark Ages rules" (i.e. Shelters instead of Estates).


I'm not sure I understand your objection. It could be just like Prosperity's colony/platinum recommendation. If you are using Dark Ages kingdom cards, you use shelters instead of estates, just like you add colony/platinum when you are using Prosperity Kingdom cards. There'd be nothing mechanically preventing you from using Dark Ages kingdom cards without also replacing estates with shelters, there would just be a greater chance of an attack-heavy game that's lacking a defensive option. And even that is totally fine in moderation, you just wouldn't want it every game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
kevincos wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your objection. It could be just like Prosperity's colony/platinum recommendation. If you are using Dark Ages kingdom cards, you use shelters instead of estates, just like you add colony/platinum when you are using Prosperity Kingdom cards. There'd be nothing mechanically preventing you from using Dark Ages kingdom cards without also replacing estates with shelters, there would just be a greater chance of an attack-heavy game that's lacking a defensive option. And even that is totally fine in moderation, you just wouldn't want it every game.

I assumed your comment of "much more brutal attacks at a reasonable cost" meant attacks that are more powerful for their cost than attacks which already exist. For example:

Plague ($2)
Action - Attack
Each other player reveals the top three cards of their deck and discards all non-Victory cards. For each Victory card revealed, that player trashes a Victory card and gains a Curse.

Cards like this wouldn't work, because they wouldn't be balanced with cards outside of Dark Ages.

Now, if you're suggesting there will simply be more attacks than in other sets, there's nothing wrong with that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Nall
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryeye wrote:

There is a middle ground between Curse and Estate. For example:

Shelter ($0)
Victory-Reaction
0 VP
When you gain a Victory card, trash this.

Yes, I expect the rules will be similar. For example: If five or more cards from Dark Ages are among the kingdom cards, replace the three Estates with three Shelters in each player's starting deck.


I suspect Ruin to be very similar to your version of shelter.

kevincos wrote:
...If you are using Dark Ages kingdom cards, you use shelters instead of estates, just like you add colony/platinum when you are using Prosperity Kingdom cards. There'd be nothing mechanically preventing you from using Dark Ages kingdom cards without also replacing estates with shelters, there would just be a greater chance of an attack-heavy game that's lacking a defensive option. And even that is totally fine in moderation, you just wouldn't want it every game.


If Shelters are to Dark ages what Colonies and Platinum are to Prosperity then they should be game altering... But Kevincos hit it on the head.

binaryeye wrote:
Now, if you're suggesting there will simply be more attacks than in other sets, there's nothing wrong with that.


Yea, that's what i'm suggesting. Due to the increased likelihood of attack cards there needs to be an increased amount of defense. (If were right to assume there will be a disproportional amount of attack cards in Dark Ages)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Costello
msg tools
binaryeye wrote:

I assumed your comment of "much more brutal attacks at a reasonable cost" meant attacks that are more powerful for their cost than attacks which already exist.


Ah. Well, I would call Sea Hag a "brutal attack at a reasonable cost". I would expect to see more attacks on that level (several likely involving whatever ruins is). But I also meant there could be some even stronger 3-4 cost attacks than what we've seen so far, but obviously nowhere near your Plague example. I'm just talking about the possibility of a few cards that in a non-shelter game, would almost certainly dominate the early portion of the game, which is fine as long as non-shelter games featuring those cards are sufficiently rare.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Hadley

Rapid City
South Dakota
msg tools
mb
I thought of a nasty attack, but it doesn't really fit in with the trash theme, just the dark ages theme.

Bordello
Cost: $5 (maybe $6)
Attack/Action

All other players must reveal their hands. All attack actions are discarded. In addition, the highest face value treasure card is discarded.

+$?

Where "?" is equal to the highest face value treasure card discarded.


Thematically, all the attackers are preoccupied at your bordello, and well, bordello's aren't free.

In a sense, it is a pre-emptive reaction card, but also serves as an attack in itself.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Y
msg tools
Hi everyone. I've read some of the older posts in this forum, but this is my first time posting.

Anyways, in regards to the Shelter, it seems like any way it's configured, it'd be a vast improvement over an Estate if it's a defensive card. Estates are almost completely useless except for adding a few points in the end game. The first thing that everyone with any experience tries to do is trash them.

I suppose the only disadvantage is the $0 cost, which reduces their value for Remodel, Salvager, etc.

The Beg sounds like a trap card. It looks appealing for its ability to accelerate you into the higher-cost cards, but gaining all that copper while streamlining everyone else's deck is probably going to be disastrous.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.