True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't done the RSPer of the next few days threads for a long time so I thought I'd try this for people getting to know each other better.

What are your favorite games? Who do you play them with? What do you like about them? What do you think your choice in games says about you?

My absolute favorite game is Heroscape. I love how it takes the mechanics of wargames and simplifies them to their essence. No supply rules but there's auras you want to stay in. No zones of control but there's engagement rules instead. I also love how it can handle anything with such variety of units and special powers. I'm part of a custom group on Heroscapers converting over Heroclix figures to use in superscape, a superhero-flavored version of Heroscape.

I also like wargames, conquest games, negotiation games, and abstract games. Recently, I've gotten into some CCGs: Magic and Wars. I like how you can customize each game and I like learning the subtleties of the interactions. I love Wiz-War and I'm so happy there's a nice-looking edition out finally.

I play Heroscape (and other two-player) mostly with my daughter, sometimes with my wife, and sometimes at local tournaments. I also got a few friends hooked and one or two may be going to a tournament with me next week. My wife loves Scrabble and Wiz-War. I play Magic with some friends and sometimes they'll just come over and want to try out new games. I also had a more regular gaming group with some other friends who I try to get together with when our schedules work out.

As to what I like about games, I like interaction. I don't play games solo (whether video or board) as I just don't find it fun. I want a human there to vie against. So I want to decimate their armies, or negotiate a better deal.

What does that say about me? I'm competitive, yeah, and I like variety and I like putting together disparate pieces into a satisfying whole. I like to bring order out of chaos but man, a game without chaos just bores me!

So what about you? What are your favorite games? Who do you play them with? What do you like about them? What do you think your choice in games says about you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargames, I tend to like stuff on the tactical level, with weapons and vehicles handled in a detailed manner, and individual character actions playing a part.

Other boardgames I play are ones of an adventure/rpg type.

Others, ones that let me tinker with something.

Probably the fewest represented in my collection are Euros, got Settlers (LOVE Cities and Knights) and Agricola.

I'm quite into co-ops.

I really am an RPGer who can roleplay a board/wargamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape is complete crap. I wouldn't feed that to my bunny for all the eggplant in Canada. Oh, *RSP* and Gaming. Whoopsie.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I like games that allow a relatively smart person to play sufficiently well without making any effort at thinking in any possible way, while still allowing people of any intellectual level to beat said lazy smart person if they are willing to put in just a modicum of effort. I like these games because, every so often, I'm the one willing to put in a modicum of effort when I sense that my opponents may be coasting through. Games that fulfill this include Jacks, Chutes & Ladders, The Scepter of Zavandor, A Victory Lost, Mumblety Peg, Scratch & Sniff Pokémon Rapture Preparation Card Bingo, and, of course, Juden Raus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
I am all over the map as far as games, but I shy away from the mega-games like huge wargames or space operas that have 15 phases (with 1-10 subphases each) per turn because (1) I never end up replaying them so the effort put into learning (and getting my ass kicked) is rarely worthwhile, and (2) because everything just crawls along for hours before the really exciting stuff happens (which is right around when I realize how badly I've prepared for the endgame).

That said, I can play Warhammer Quest (Seattle modified version) for many hours on end. Technically, it's a single long campaign, but every dungeon kinda feels like starting a new game. In the same vein, I'm part of an occasional RPG group. We finished a D&D 4th ed. campaign, and are gearing up to start SpaceMaster sometime in the coming months.

So, yeah, I love Euros, party games, co-ops, card games, dice games, dexterity games...I think the only major class of games I have yet to really fall for is the CCG. The deck-builders are fine, but no pure CCG has sunk its fangs in me yet. Oh, and I can't abide Steve Jackson Games or similar. Blech.

Favorite designers: Chvatil, Knizia, Wallace
Favorite gaming beverage: beer
Favorite gaming music: anthemic indie (think British Sea Power/Built to Spill, etc)
Favorite gaming gear: Ed Hardy tank top, loose jogging shorts, commando
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fury of Dracual and Thunder Road are currently the group favourites (I agree they are very goos. My personal favourites (excluding those, which are in the list) would be Task force, NAto (VG) and Third world war (and wodden ships and iron men).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Stone
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
May the bikini be with you!
badge
I destroy SJWs!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play two and ONLY two CCGs, and only one of them is currently being produced. Those are Magic The Gathering and Babylon 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of stuff. I love Puerto Rico and Feld's games, I like some AT titles (Gears of War currently) , RPGs, some abstracts, some party games. I would also play wargames but they are too time consuming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
My current top 5 are Dixit, Blokus, Tigris & Euphrates, Blood Bowl and Eat poop you cat.

I don't know what this says about me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I get together with an old FTF gaming group twice a year or so. We all have young children, so tend to go for games we can finish in a short evening, ideally multiple times; our most recent success was 7 Wonders. Once my kids are a little older, I plan to try and join or develop gaming partners to help me play a wide variety of games. I'd particularly like to play more Chaos in the Old World and Sekigahara (oh, and the Glory to Rome black box edition).

I've played a ton of Magic, and dabbled in other CCGs and LCGs; I really dig the deck-building element which allows outside-of-game time to interact with play.

Right now, I mostly play games I can play without others physically present. Ascension has been an absolute star on iOS.

As for what that says about me, I'm subordinating the limited social desires I have to my parenthood at the moment. I'm patient, I'll get back to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming wise I am a cross between quozl and tstone. I love chrome and detail. I love interesting tactical situations that can surprise you at any point in the game, both for the better and worse. I am not that keen on mechanical puzzle games. For example I am torn on Dungeon Lords, I have traded for it and have it but even though it has a glorious theme from an old PC game fav, the puzzle aspect is making me leery about springing it on my game group as we are pretty much Ameritrash only). I like games that are experience driven and that can tell a story (Battlestar Galactica, Arkham Horror, Heroscape, Wiz-War, etc). Min-max economical games, though occasionally intellectually interesting, leave me largely unsatisfied when I am done.

I play with my gaming group (about once every 6 weeks) that I have played boardgames, RPG Games and LAN parties/online games with since the 80's. It typically ranges from 4-8 players a session so games are limited to handling those kind of numbers. I also play with my family and various other family type settings (camping with others, daughters friends, nieces and nephews), though these situations are always tricky to come up with a game that will be fun, accessible, age appropriate and still interesting. I can go a little Euro with the wife and kid, but there is a fine line where they will declare a game "work" and not "fun".

When it comes down to it though, I'll play anything to get a game in when it has been awhile and that is the only chance to get someone to the table. Except for maybe UNO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all the same games that Chad and BJ and Lynette and Josh and Dave and Marc like. Those might be the same games Jon likes except for HeroScape.

HeroQuest was really cool back in the day. I used to make up entire scenario books. Good times, good times.

I suspect my current top 10 might be a little out of date:

#1: Agricola
#2: Le Havre
#3: Caylus
#4: Navegador
#5: Mage Knight: Board Game
#6: Glenn Drover's Empires: The Age of Discovery
#7: Twilight Struggle
#8: Roads & Boats
#9: Hansa Teutonica
#10: Shogun

WORKER PLACEMENT FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd bet I could get DW, Aaron, and Dar to play Mage Knight and Shogun with me and enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

So what about you? What are your favorite games? Who do you play them with? What do you like about them? What do you think your choice in games says about you?

Remind me to answer these later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
quozl wrote:

Don't forget to answer those later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I'll play lots of different games, I'm a wargamer at heart. The two games that I love to get on the table most are huge, strategic games covering large conflicts - Empires in Arms and The Civil War. But I'm also a huge fan of Victory in the Pacific and Up Front and "wargamish" games like Britannia. Although I enjoy many euros, there's just something about asymmetrical positions and capabilities that makes a game far more interesting for me. It's not just about using resources well, it's about maximizing the benefit you can derive from some specific combination of position, capability, maneuver, etc. I'm not a huge fan of many of the CDGs in this particular area, though. Once you get beyond the "classics" of the genre, I really find that the design decisions that get made annoy me. The ones I enjoy a great deal are Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, Wilderness War, The Napoleonic Wars, and We the People.

But I play far fewer wargames than others. My kids love Marvel Heroes, which has seen more playing time since they saw the Avengers. We'll also play Dominion and it's expansions, PitchCar, Gulo Gulo and other lighter games. My wife loves Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, Arkham Horror, and Elder Sign. And my son has friends that play a lot of Descent: Journeys in the Dark.

I'll solo games sometimes, but generally only to learn them. Fortunately, my son is getting old enough to really get in to "heavier" games and strategy and enjoys them. We've played The Civil War a number of times and he's learning the strengths and weaknesses of each side, often the hard way (I'm not one much for pulling punches once a mistake has been made - I'd prefer to discuss options before he makes a move, then make him pay if he makes a bad one). I haven't been doing enough gaming of late and need to start hosting game days more, and if anyone reading this in my area is interested in playing some EiA (only the best monster game ever), please drop me a line. If I could get a game of that going, I'll pay for the beer every session.

What do my choices say about me? That I want deep strategy, many choices to make, and the potential for huge swings based on those choices. That while I don't mind randomness, I also don't want games that divorce the choices I make and the position on the map from who wins and loses. That I want to eat your lunch and that I'm willing to risk having my lunch eaten in return.

It's worth noting that the games I like have also driven a great deal of my love for history. The periods I know best are the periods I game most and it's often the games themselves that sparked interest in learning more about the period. Usually that starts with the military history (did the designer get it right?) to the politics of the period (why did the designer have something to work with in the first place?) to the lasting impacts of the conflict (how did things change as a result?).

But it's pretty clear that while I'll play just about anything, I'd far prefer a game where I can gut you and dance on your grave. I suspect that reflects the fact that the first game I really learned was Kingmaker, which is still a blast to play even if its victory conditions are terrible and rules confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now I'm wishing I lived close to Ken and TheChin! I'm sure we'd have some pretty interesting conversations on religion and politics too.

Plus, I'd get free beer! (I'm not much of a beer drinker but it'll be handy in negotiation games.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:

OK, but only if I can call in air strikes on your workers.

Take a look at Ikusa if you want an interesting mix of some Euro-ish mechanics with direct conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
Right now I'm wishing I lived close to Ken and TheChin! I'm sure we'd have some pretty interesting conversations on religion and politics too.

Plus, I'd get free beer! (I'm not much of a beer drinker but it'll be handy in negotiation games.)

It would please me greatly to hear the lamentation of your women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

My favorite "type" of games usually tend to be civ. like games. My favorites are games like Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, Struggle of Empires,Age of Renaissance, Imperial, A Game of Thrones (first edition), War of the Ring (First Edition), Civilization, Rise of Empires, etc..

Essentially as the AT'ers say, Dudes on a Map. I love the player interaction, the diplomacy, the spacial strategic feel of them.

I'm not sure what it says about me. I guess I come from the old school gaming niche that started with game like Risk and Axis and Allies. SO I have always been a fan.

I also love meaty games like Die Macher, which is a freak on a leash, and area control games like El Grande(which still kind of fall under the DoaM mentality).

I game with several people here locally. We had different regular gaming groups which come and go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:

Jarred's got my number. Since my daughter descended into the pits of sleep regression, I haven't been out to play actual real life games with my actual real life friends in a month or more, but I am a euro fiend. Some recent (and less recent) favorites, in no particular order:

Through the Ages
Macao
Vinhos
Ora et Labora
Le Havre (No one will play this with me at home. I'm thinking I need to fly Jarred and Cranky in and carpool up to BJ's.)
Dominion
Age of Steam
Eclipse

I also like tabletop RPGs quite a bit, although I hardly ever get to do that these days either. My regular group is currently playing a Dresden Files campaign, mostly without me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Jared. Traditional designer games for me. Lots of wooden bits. Action points. Worker placement. Knizia, Kramer, Moon type stuff.

Just played Stone Age last night and was reminded how awesome it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
quozl wrote:

I think the games I consider the best games are typically abstracts but those I most enjoy playing are wargames. The Ameritrash I own all consists of light wargames. Eurogames are fun too and my wife tends to like these, but i think this may be as much due to the shorter time investment than anything else. My wife does like a good few wargames too. Next in the hierarchy comes card games but I generally dislike dexterity and party games.

As for favorite titles... Hm. That depends a good bit on my mood. The most recently played are Britannia, Civilization and Hammer of the Scots.

Mostly I play with my wife or solo. When the daughter and one on the way get old enough, we hope to play with them too.

Frankly I like games one has to think about to play well and the species of games doesn't interest me much. Abstracts and wargames just tend on the whole to be deeper games and party and dexterity games tend to be shallower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll play all kinds of stuff, but my favorites are big multi-player boardgames and wargames. The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) (and the first edition) has been my favorite for a while. It has lots of cards and uses lots of die rolls, but also rewards skillful play. I really like uncertainty in a game, where you have to deal with the unexpected or when the outcome of your decisions can only be estimated.

When I played Settlers in 1995, I was very impressed with it (and still am). There was a lot of innovation in the early euros to come over and interesting games that can be played in a couple hours are quite nice to have around. There have been a few more standouts over the intervening years, but they seem mostly derivative and dull. I find worker placement to be a pretty dreadful mechanic, so that doesn't help lately.

I've recently started back up with a local group that plays really big games like Empires in Arms, World in Flames, and the big OCS titles. Quantity (of time in this case) just has a quality all its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:

I suspect my current top 10 might be a little out of date:

Your top 10 could easily be my top 10, were I more serious about keeping a top 10, and if you replaced Agricola and Le Havre with the single Ora & Labora, altered Shogun to Wallenstein, and threw Traders of Genoa (or, I suppose, Genoa as it's now known) into the empty slot. Also, Roads & Boats was great back in the day, but now that I want time to eat dinner on the same nights that I game, I'd bump R&B in favor of any sufficiently intriguing shorter game. There are so many of those to choose from that I'm at a loss to come up with a single one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
When I played Settlers in 1995, I was very impressed with it (and still am).

While I enjoyed Settlers for a while, I'd prefer to gouge my eyes out with a spoon than play it without Cities & Knights. And I'll gouge your eyes out with a spoon if you suggest Seafarers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
rshipley wrote:
When I played Settlers in 1995, I was very impressed with it (and still am).

While I enjoyed Settlers for a while, I'd prefer to gouge my eyes out with a spoon than play it without Cities & Knights. And I'll gouge your eyes out with a spoon if you suggest Seafarers.

I hosted a six-player Settlers, Cities & Knights, Seafarers Grand Catan game a little while back on our monthly big game day. I'll make sure to hide the spoons if you ever make it over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.