Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: An optical illusion in the possibility space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Y
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I was playing some Dungeon Lords and I realized a thing they have in common that might be what I like about both games... Both games tend to have you encounter a situation that does not seem possible, but somehow you find yourself able to overcome it.

In Dungeon Lords, I often enter combat with a few traps and a monster, and there are enough thieves to prevent whatever trap damage I deal, and there are enough healers to prevent whatever damage my monster does, so I can see a couple ways that I'll end up with a maximum of one damage out there. But oh, I spot the timing thing where this trap will leave that guy with one damage that's not healed, and then this monster can kill that thief so my next trap deals more and fatigue has taken out the other guy and boom that's it.

In Mage Knight, it's on a grander scale, where I was dumb and entered this dungeon that has turned up what seems to be the worst possible set of monsters, and every card in my hand is offering to give a stupid +2 attack and they just seem so small next that werewolf, and why did I think I could handle this dungeon. But then I take stock of my units, and okay I can use that ability, and I have this crystal left, and okay that's first strike, and oh yeah I have another mana on this tactic card...well hell I'm not even going to take a wound.

It's like an optical illusion, where 5 seems so much bigger than 3, but the difference is really only 2, and I totally have a card that gives me those 2. Does this feeling occur in other Vlaada games? Is this like his signature? It almost feels like he noticed this weird thing in DL and made a game only about this one weird thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This definitely happens in Space Alert and it's awesome when you manage to recognize it under time pressure. It's far from the only thing that happens, though, and it doesn't happen 4-5 times per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, Space Alert popped in my mind too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
juffowup wrote:

In Mage Knight, it's on a grander scale, where I was dumb and entered this dungeon that has turned up what seems to be the worst possible set of monsters, and every card in my hand is offering to give a stupid +2 attack and they just seem so small next that werewolf, and why did I think I could handle this dungeon. But then I take stock of my units, and okay I can use that ability, and I have this crystal left, and okay that's first strike, and oh yeah I have another mana on this tactic card...well hell I'm not even going to take a wound.

except that you can't use units in a dungeon
But I see what you like to tell us, and I feel the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pethulhu wrote:
juffowup wrote:

except that you can't use units in a dungeon :p

I think he might have just walked past the oasis, swearing it was a mirage...

and I also agree, the game is daunting at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Archer
msg tools
pethulhu wrote:
juffowup wrote:

except that you can't use units in a dungeon

The realization that my units aren't backing me up always seems to come when I'm already in the dungeon face to face with a Medusa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.