Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up that the Geek Store will now be distributing the English version of the excellent publication, Spielbox Magazine, in PDF form! Issues #1 and #2 of 2012 are now available, and a wider range of back-issues may become available in the future!

This is great game-related reading material to load onto your devices, so we hope you enjoy this latest addition to the Geek Store! You can find them in the new "Spielbox E-Version" category of the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Just a heads up that the Geek Store will now be distributing the English version of the excellent publication, Spielbox Magazine, in PDF form! Issues #1 and #2 of 2012 are now available, and a wider range of back-issues may become available in the future!

This is great game-related reading material to load onto your devices, so we hope you enjoy this latest edition to the Geek Store! You can find them in the new "Spielbox E-Version" category of the store.

Ohhhh! Would love the issues with the Martin Wallace games! Scanning them in does not always give the nicest results!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What use are these if you don't even get the promos ?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
What use are these if you don't even get the promos :what: ?

It's a magazine. Filled to the brim with articles about boardgaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:

It's a magazine. Filled to the brim with articles about boardgaming.

I also don't get the point of most magazines. Most of any information related to those articles is freely available on the internet. There are tons of free boardgaming articles on here and other sites on the net as well. That's why magazines usually need a different incentive to be successful - in this case the promos. Take that away and what's left?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan " ; " Czop
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
That's why magazines usually need a different incentive to be successful - in this case the promos. Take that away and what's left?

Colorful pictures and advertizements. Isn't that why people purchase magazines??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
shikosaki wrote:
Tzer wrote:
That's why magazines usually need a different incentive to be successful - in this case the promos. Take that away and what's left?

Colorful pictures and advertizements. Isn't that why people purchase magazines??

Ah, right, that's why paid subscriptions to magazines and other periodicals are booming in this digital age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
shikosaki wrote:
Tzer wrote:

Ah, right, that's why paid subscriptions to magazines and other periodicals are booming in this digital age.

Shikosaki never said they were booming, just that that's why the people that do buy them, do.

There was absolutely no need for a snippy retort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When did sarcasm become unacceptable? I don't think there's any implied disrespect, at least none that I caught. What you might have inferred is another matter. What I read was a sarcastic comment regarding the downturn of financial success print magazines have had in this electronic age. In other words, people don't buy magazines like they used to. Quite poignant given the thread's subject.

Speaking of which, I don't personally find Spielbox to be of any use to me beyond providing the occasional useful promo. If I get wind of a promo I want, i.e., Stevie Wonder, I buy that individual issue just for that promo and then the magazine goes in the garbage. The pictures and articles they contain are of no greater quality or informative than what can be obtained elsewhere, including BGG, for free.

Your mileage may vary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
When did sarcasm become unacceptable? I don't think there's any implied disrespect, at least none that I caught. What you might have inferred is another matter. What I read was a sarcastic comment regarding the downturn of financial success print magazines have had in this electronic age. Quite poignant given the thread's subject.

No problem with sarcasm here - It was the fact that it was a comeback to a point never made that I thought comment-worthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, no, my point was that people don't really purchase magazines any more, at least not in the quantity that they did, say, 30 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not for me, but I am glad Spielbox exists, and not just for the promos. Magazines are great reading in the loo, on the beach and elsewhere where I wouldn't take a good book or an electronic device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem for me is the price - $9 - I can get the printed version second-hand for that price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Well, no, my point was that people don't really purchase magazines any more, at least not in the quantity that they did, say, 30 years ago.

I agree. Has anyone said otherwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy my printed copy of spielbox dropping through the letter box. I get tired looking at screens all day.

I find the depth and professionalism of the reviews a good counterbalance to the reviews on geek. Spielbox was where i discovered dominant species. Plus the promos and games in the mag are a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Klein
Germany
Würselen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
www.spielerleben.de
badge
www.spielerleben.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 9 DOLLAR is a bit overpriced for an E-magazin that costs 6 EURO in print form and then even misses the occassional promo.

However, I have to hold the flag for the qualitiy of the articles in the Spielbox. Don't know nothing of the quality of the English translation, but the German articles are (most of the times) really great. I won't say that they are by all means better than what's written on the Geek or other sites on the web. But: I've read the Spielbox for about 3 years now and really came to appreciate the different styles of reviews they do. With every due respect to the efforts that most BGGers put into their reviews, reviews written by professional or semi-professional journalists do have their benefits. They are often far more to the point (which of course is a must for any print medium because of the restricted space each article has), entertainingly written and not that "technicaly" written as most (not all) reviews on the geek. And I also like to be able to read something "on the loo" or somewhere else without technical devices (I own a kindle though and enjoy reading with it).

So what I'm really trying to say is that I appreciate both:

I use the "professionally" written reviews in magazines as the spielbox for entertainement purposes and for "the quick first glance" on games.

However, If I really want to learn how the game works, the Spielbox-articles don't really help (which is good), but the BGG-reviews often do.

So: Glad we have both!

If 9 bucks is not to much for you, I recommend giving it a try at least once, especially if you are in regions where it's nigh on impossible to get the printed version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Stangier
Germany
Offenbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:

Yes, that's because other sources of information have become available.

So why still buy magazines? Here is my personal view:

- The goodies (well, this does not apply to digital versions)
Let's face it, this is the biggest pull, especially if the goody alone would cost as much on the secondary market as the magazine + goody, or as I tend to view it: Buy the goody, get a free magazine.

- The articles
There is a lot of info freely available on the net, so why list the articles? Because sometimes the info is not available on the net or at least not available in a specific form.
In the specific case of the Spielbox this are the background infos about designers, publishers and other boardgame related things and their review style (I really like that in their reviews all the players involved supply their score for the game and a short comment).

- The mystery
When surfing the web I pick what to view. So mostly what I see are things I already know and stuff directly related to that. I might not click that link to the review of that awesome game simply because I do not like the name, never realizing what I missed.
That is not the case with a magazine. Here I will see the review leading to the discovry of things I otherwise might have missed.

So I think that magazines still have a reason for being.

That said, what I absolutely can not agree with is when digital versions with less content (no goodies) cost the same as the physical copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam O'Brien
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Even Cleverer Overtext
badge
Every time someone activates this overtext, it takes a year off my life. Hover often please!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:

Just wait for the swimsuit issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
3dicebombers wrote:
Tzer wrote:

Just wait for the swimsuit issue.
Donald X and Rainer in a swimsuit I can live without.

Just.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KC Skedzielewski
United States
Augusta TWP
Michigan
flag msg tools
Who has two thumbs and likes Tacos....?
badge
...This Guy!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thing is, for us Americans, we really can't get the actual magazine for any decent price. I personally would love to get a yearly subscription, and have them show up the 5-6 times a year, but they are WAY too expensive. And paying $9 for a PDF just seems like not a real deal at all...

just my

KC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pobolycwm noodleminer
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just found a paper version in uk stores for 5 quid delivered, thats a saving of 77p for me and after i have finished reading it i can use it to wipe my backside in emergencies laugh( recycling consious is me ). However if the cost of getting it shipped to you is to expensive then i think a pdf is a good option, i electronically subscribe to a few american archery comics because its cheaper than shipping
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so excited until I saw the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
At something closer to $3 per .pdf download they'd sell a few issues.

But I don't know anyone who'd pay so much for a .pdf of a magazine. I subscribe to the English copy, and read it from cover to cover. I too tire of staring at a screen, so it's wonderful to hold the glossy magazine in my hand.

What sounds sensible to me would be if as a subscriber that I would have access to a digital copy for free, just like I do with The New Yorker and Time subscriptions I have. In this case it would make me feel better about having to tear out rules for expansions they include with the magazine.

Honestly, they should print the rules on a tear-out card or something of that sort...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Querns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pobolycwm wrote:
Just found a paper version in uk stores for 5 quid delivered, thats a saving of 77p for me and after i have finished reading it i can use it to wipe my backside in emergencies laugh

Spielbox is far too glossy for that! Use a copy of Counter Magazine... Much more absorbant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
GQ__ wrote:
pobolycwm wrote:
Just found a paper version in uk stores for 5 quid delivered, thats a saving of 77p for me and after i have finished reading it i can use it to wipe my backside in emergencies laugh

Spielbox is far too glossy for that! Use a copy of Counter Magazine... Much more absorbant

Economy that bad in the UK huh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.