Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
For fun, our game group created a set of generic baron cards for use on any map with pictures of celebrities that look somewhat like ourselves.

But having done so, using a mix of just about all the baron cards that exist, I've begun to wonder about how to make the baron cards perhaps a bit more strategic.

What if you could choose to play a baron card during the game for fewer points rather than saving them for the end? For example:

Gain 7 points if you are connected to the most cities (not tied) at the end of the game. If you are the first player to connect 6 cities (in one contiguous network) reveal this card to immediately gain 2 points.

Gain 5 points if you have issued the least number of bonds at the end of the game. At the end of the 4th turn if you have issued the least number of bonds you may reveal this card to immediately gain 2 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the expansions and I noted that many of the barons have the same requirements i.e. largest railroad longest railroad, most advanced engine, most cities connected. So I took all of those cards out for each set and made a generic Baron set. Then I picked a Number of Barons who are specific to the expansion I am playing. players get one specific Baron and three generic barons. I called them the Board of Directors. These are Secret and scored at the end of the game and so the surprise ending of the game can be up to 25 to 30 points. Ties count. If you have two barons for example who both give you points for most money and you have the most money you score for both of those barons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kalvin connor
United States
rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
I have all the expansions and I noted that many of the barons have the same requirements i.e. largest railroad longest railroad, most advanced engine, most cities connected. So I took all of those cards out for each set and made a generic Baron set. Then I picked a Number of Barons who are specific to the expansion I am playing. players get one specific Baron and three generic barons. I called them the Board of Directors. These are Secret and scored at the end of the game and so the surprise ending of the game can be up to 25 to 30 points. Ties count. If you have two barons for example who both give you points for most money and you have the most money you score for both of those barons.

I really, really like this idea! Though, there could be some easy ones that you get for doing certain things already that stack (i.e. have the longest chain of cars means youll likely be connecting certain cities, which means youll likely be making long deliveries meaning a high engine). So someone might complete 3 just because they complete 1 (or vice versa, I have the high engine, which means long route, which means connected cities yadda yadda)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lelo
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More strategic....place any amount of barons in public view. All players may score all barons cards. Sound too static? Deal 2 out to everyone....at a certain point in the game everyone simultaneously reveals 1 of their cards to be placed in public view based on what they see developing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably the thing I like least about railways of the world is the lack of the personal touch. You have all these wonderful historical barons and their impact on the game is secret until the last moment and the impact was so small. I went so far as to attempt to make the barons part of the game from the beginning. For example if you drew J.P. Morgan you would start out with $10,000 more.if you drew Pullman you would start out with the number two engine. Trying to reflect their contribution to railroading. I gave that idea up. But I may work on it some more.

Your idea is more like having a permanent event card that everyone plays off of. I don't have a problem with the concept but I do have a problem with running it through the Baron concept.

My idea was to have a similar result but it was secret. For example everyone might want to try to get the longest railroad even if that wasn't going to score anything for them but it would prevent anyone else from scoring for it. On the other hand if you had two or three of your Board of Directors needing the longest railroad then most your efforts would be toward obtaining that goal because it would give you so many extra points at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.