Subject: Timing of special abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do special abilities that stay with a hero or a monster come to effect before resolving the effect of the die roll that triggered them?

For example, if I miss the target board but activate 'Beer' at the same time (on myself), should I first place the special ability marker on my hero, and then take no damage...
or should I first take the damage and then place the marker on my hero?

I hope the question above makes some kind of sense! I can't phrase it any more clearly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Zuttion
Italy
Udine
Udine, Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Think that the damage is always resolved first, then the ability triggers.
Can't find it precisely on the rules though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not certain it's written in the rules, but we've always played that your abilities are activated befoe the monster attacks.

The way I see it, first you have your turn - in which the ability activates - and THEN the monster attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a n _ C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are quite clear that you check for misses first and apply the miss results. If you didn't qualify as a miss, then you have hit and then you apply those results and trigger any "hit" bonuses.

Edit: This is clear in the printed English rulebook. The English PDF linked here on BGG is out of date and contains many errors. The printed English rulebook cleans up a lot of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DroppEcho wrote:

Edit: This is clear in the printed English rulebook. The English PDF linked here on BGG is out of date and contains many errors.

That may be true, but the designer has confirmed the posted PDF has some things correct the published English rules do not. Check out this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the errors and discrepancies between the rule books, I'd like to hear a clear answer from the designers (perhaps in a FAQ?). This type of situation comes up a lot. For instance, if I miss but roll a special symbol for "heal all +1", does the healing take effect first or does the damage? Sometimes, healing first would keep me alive (at one health), while taking damage first would knock me out. And if it knocks me out, does the special effect still happen (e.g. can I heal everyone if I'm knocked out after missing)?

Another common example is "turn to frog" on a miss. Is the miss damage immediately reduced by 2, or is it only after resolving the wizard's turn?

*edit*
It would seem that special effects occur before taking damage. Otherwise, the re-roll special effect wouldn't be very good, and the ignore miss special effect wouldn't do anything. You'd take the damage from missing (which might be enough to knock you out), then apply the reroll/ignore miss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.