Andrea Sansone
Italy
Roma
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
I've recently sold a copy of one of the many games I've bought in these years. It was a very popular game, yet one of the many I did not like playing with neither my team nor my girlfriend.
The owner of the shop who took my game - a guy I've known when I was a boy - offered me a 35€ voucher in exchange for said game; however, since I've almost emptied my "urgent" wish list, I'm more or less unable to decide which game (or games) I should pick with the aforementioned voucher.

I'm searching for a game which:
- might be enjoyable by my girlfriend, who is not that much into boardgames but usually plays with me when there's nothing better to do;
- might be enjoyable by my team of gamers, consisting of usually about 5-6 people (there might be more or less, but that's the usual number of us);
- isn't too long: e.g., Twilight Struggle is a very nice game, but playing a good game of it requires A LOT of time;
- isn't too dependent on luck or isn't Ticket to Ride... which wasn't the game I sold, but is a game we can play on our pc or iPhones and we rarely do.

Here's my collection.

Thanks in advance, guys!

PS: on reddit, some people suggested Agricola, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization and Power Grid, but I think TtA takes way too long to learn and play and I don't know anything about the two players variants/versions of Agricola and Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A really good, inexpensive little (card) game for 3 - 5 plauers is Palastgefluster (Dark Whisperings) Its quick, and really fun, its a 'screw your neighbour' / 'take that' type of game. Very easy to play. Great to start / end your gaming evening with.

"Cyclades" is a beautiful boardgame that you might check out. Really nice components and artwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Letters from Whitechapel
Fauna
Flash Point: Fire Rescue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Sansone
Italy
Roma
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:

Thanks, I'll take a close look at them all. Letters from Whitechapel reminds me of Scotland Yard, although I just skimmed the brief description...

QueesteGeest wrote:
A really good, inexpensive little (card) game for 3 - 5 plauers is Palastgefluster (Dark Whisperings) Its quick, and really fun, its a 'screw your neighbour' / 'take that' type of game. Very easy to play. Great to start / end your gaming evening with.
"Cyclades" is a beautiful boardgame that you might check out. Really nice components and artwork.

Thanks, but the first game is for 3+ (whereas I was looking for a game for 2). I agree with Cyclades - I have bought it and I do not regret it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1812: The Invasion of Canada. Best with 2 OR 5 (I prefer 2, Tom Vasel prefers 5). A really fun, really light, easy to explain and play wargame.

http://www.gameshark.com/features/892/Cracked-LCD-236-1812-T...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Sansone
Italy
Roma
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the end I bought Takenoko and Fairy Tale.
I'll let you know what my GF and friends will say about them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is also another one you may want to consider in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you have Citadels as "previously owned" - we found this to be a killer 2-player game as well as really good with 6-7 people

My wife likes 2-player Agricola as well - I have yet to beat her in a 2-player game of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
QueesteGeest wrote:

+1

Great for 2-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe is a great game that plays very well from 2 to 6 players (check the 6-players official variant on the files section). It's tense, has a good balance of luck and strategy/tactics, it's my game of 2011!

As for Power Grid, it's one of the great classics. It's certainly a better game with 4-6 players, but if you add the little expansion Power Grid: The Robots, you can have a lot of fun in 2-3 players as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Sansone
Italy
Roma
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GabrielGeek wrote:
Airlines Europe is a great game that plays very well from 2 to 6 players (check the 6-players official variant on the files section). It's tense, has a good balance of luck and strategy/tactics, it's my game of 2011!

As for Power Grid, it's one of the great classics. It's certainly a better game with 4-6 players, but if you add the little expansion Power Grid: The Robots, you can have a lot of fun in 2-3 players as well.

Ehi compatriota! Never heard of this expansion! I'll give it a look ASAP. As for Airlines Europe, the package caused erectile dysfunction as soon as I looked at it.. I'll read some reviews later, grazie mille!

Originaldibbler wrote:
QueesteGeest wrote:

+1
Great for 2-5 players.

In 2 and 3 IMHO Cyclades is a nice game. There are TONS of games which which are just better than Cyc when playing with such a small group. When there are 5 players, Cyclades is the most badass game EVER. it's astonishingly good.
A very good game for three people IMHO is Olympus, a game with a peculiar auction system and tons of interaction between players.

eddy_sterckx wrote:
I see you have Citadels as "previously owned" - we found this to be a killer 2-player game as well as really good with 6-7 people
My wife likes 2-player Agricola as well - I have yet to beat her in a 2-player game of this.

Citadels is "previously owned" since it's one of the few games possessed by my friends. I'm the only one in my team who has a sufficient income and enough time to waste to search and buy games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishulo wrote:
Letters from Whitechapel reminds me of Scotland Yard, although I just skimmed the brief description...

If current price is an issue, it's getting reprinted later this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nichols
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Agricola works just fine for two, no variants needed.

Carcassonne works *very* well for two as a mean cutthroat game, and if you get it with the "Inns and Cathredals" expansion (avoid the instinct to buy more than that) it can run 6 as well. Some of the very first hobby gaming I ever did was 6 player Carc. Chaotic but fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Maiz
United States
Palmyra
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for 2 player and for a 4-5 player - look at:

* lords of waterdeep
* Carcassonne - mentioned above

Card/dice games:
* Liars dice
* Zombie dice
* Family Business

Just a few suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You should give a look at Survive: Escape from Atlantis wiht the 5-6p. Player best with more players but when I play with my gf we use two colors(consider as one color)some people suggest the Knizia scoring: the lowest of the two colors is your final score, so you have to take care of both colors).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.