Subject: Boston folks: Please review this Google Map for walkability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Taking the fam to Boston this year, and one day involves a lot of pedestrian travel that I would like your feedback on. Here is the route (the paths aren't exact thanks to goofy Google drawing tools). The daughter regularly walks 10Ks, so distance is no concern. I'm mainly thinking about pedestrian friendliness (e.g., good sidewalks) and general safety during weekday daylight hours (say, as late as 8 PM).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Credentials: Lived in the Bean for ten years, and for most of that worked at the southwest tip of your path.

The short answer is that Boston is an eminently walkable American city, pretty much always and everywhere. This does come with the caveat that motorists and pedestrians are locked into mutual contempt and distrust, so it will seem aggressive if you are used to Canadian-style street ettiquite.

For your specific path, the part in Downtown (NW of the channel) will pose absolutely no problems. You may find that one side of the street has much better sidewalks than the other, but it will be comfortable and safe. It looks like you will go into the top bit of Chinatown, a bunch of office-y areas with older architecture, and the really nice part along the water.

I'm less familiar with the part in Southie (SE part of path). Traditionally it's an industrial area, but it's been built up a lot in the last few years. There is nothing wrong with it, but just due to the geography, and the fact that the T doesn't really penetrate into Southie, it's a neighborhood where you need a reason to go to go there. It will be safe, but have less charm than the rest of the route. The Barking Crab is worth a visit, and so is the ICA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in Boston before the Big Dig had finished, and even then it was fine for walking in.

But:

Quote:
Round trip walk
7.5 km - about 21 mins

Don't think so, Google.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
As Gygax intended.
badge
“It is a trivial grammar-school text, but yet worthy a wise man’s consideration. Question was asked of Demosthenes, what was the chief part of an orator? he answered, action; what next? action; what next again? action.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly walkable.

Part of your route can be traversed on the Boston Harborwalk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
JoshBot wrote:
The Barking Crab is worth a visit, and so is the ICA.

Yeah, we were looking at Barking Crab, No Name, and Yankee Lobster, and will likely go with the latter if only to extend the walk. ICA is a good tip, as we have a chunk of time to kill in the morning before we go whale watching.

TwirlingTF wrote:

Excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Back from vacation. Thanks again for the tips. I can confirm that Boston was perfectly walkable, except for the fact that it's a real shark tank wrt driving and walking. Even the police actively condone jaywalking (e.g., at one intersection with a single blocked lane and a working crosswalk, an officer was waving walkers across whenever traffic got light). Saw multiple instances of blocked intersections, and almost got flattened by someone running a red light. In general, I couldn't stand the downtown area, although Beacon Hill and North End had their charms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.