Subject: Suggestions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Strattanville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I jumped in way late to the heroscape party but have been lucky to get one of each master sets as well as picking up wave 1 and wave 12 for decent prices. My question is where should I go from here? Should I try to get multiples of the waves I have or should I go for more variety and pick up other waves that are readily available (8, 11, 13). I should say that I'm not playing the game competitively just with my kids and a few friends (more an investment for when my kids get older).

thanks in advance!

PS: I would really like to get wave 2 for a decent price because they look really cool any pointers in scoring that wave would be greatly appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Play more, buy less. You have all you need, so start figuring out what armies you enjoy most when you play. At that point you'll have a better idea of what to spend your money on.

Seriously, for the money you'll drop on the additional sets you could gear up on a dozen other games that will add variety to your life. Figure out where you'll get your money's worth before diving in too deep.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HannibalofBarca wrote:
Should I try to get multiples of the waves I have or should I go for more variety and pick up other waves that are readily available (8, 11, 13).

There is an upside and a downside to picking up multiples. On the plus side, common units really are far more fun to play when you have more than one squad. Multiples are essential in competitive play, but even just playing for fun with the family, you'll find that having more than one squad makes them play better.

On the minus side, the waves consist of 3 packs of commons and 1 pack of unique figures, and you really don't need a 2nd set of uniques; the same army can't use more than one of any unique figure. Looking at it that way, you're not getting full value out of 1/4 of what you buy when you pick up extra waves. (Wave 8 is an exception here, it has 2 commons and 2 uniques, so even less bang for your buck if you buy multiple sets of that one.)

If you're asking my advice, I'd suggest your next purchase include a second set of wave 1, and that you play it as soon as you get it, taking advantage of having extra squads of commons, and also playing with a single set for comparison. All of the commons in wave 1 will benefit by having 2, or better yet 3 squads, but you should try it out to determine how important it is to you and your group. That's all that really matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do what Sphere suggests.

The best bet for an additional Wave 1 right now, even with shipping, would be at Troll and Toad ($20 for a Wave 1 box). They have seven left in stock as of this posting.

Then if you decide you want more Heroscape, you can always pick up more multiples of common squads later on via ebay or Auggies -> http://www.auggiesgamesonline.com/Heroscape_c_32.html

(That being said, the last remaining stock of complete Waves 11-13 can still be had at Auggies for under $30 per box, which is less than original wholesale I think. You could always ebay off the extra unique heroes or sell them back to Auggies, who has a buy site. Miniature Market has some left in stock as well, but they've upped the prices a little bit from where they were a few weeks ago) devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a person who has been playing Heroscape for a few years now my philosophy is "Only buy into what you can afford". Depending on who you play with you can either proxy a great many units or even just utilize custom figures of your own choice. http://www.heroscapers.com has more than you'd ever need in ways to expand your game. As part of the fanscape continuation of the game I of course would recommend buying into C3V/SoV customs or if you like superheroes a Marvel set and plenty of cheap Heroclix and what not using the C3G customs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lucas
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have about four years experience with heroscape and though I'm not the greatest tournament player I have several friends in the buy/sell heroscape arena and I can say with confidence that if you are looking for a long term investment in this game then BUY REAL ESTATE!As was previously mentioned it seems you have enough figures to keep you busy for awhile but by buying and building various terrain sets the possibilities expand beautifully.Check amazon and ebay for some really good deals.
There are also some great aftermarket terain/special effect custom items as well for very reasonable prices.

I also highly recommend following heroscapers.com if you are not already.

HAPPY GAMING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroScapers has all sorts of custom pieces so you can use your own mini's.

Auggie's Games still has D&D waves 11-13 in stock, for $27 per SET of boosters.

Really, all you need are (scans of) the unit cards and you can proxy the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Strattanville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot guys, I'm probably going for Sphere's suggestion of getting another wave 1!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.