12 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Wound tokens variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomo Umer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DISCLAIMER: I haven't tried this variant with my gaming group as of yet, but I'm very interested in comments and suggestions.

I'll edit this post following game tests, keeping the original version intact and adding new changes at the end. Each new change overrides the old ones.

Why:
I thought up this variant because the Sickbay and the Brig are taken far too lightly. You all probably had games when a player was like: "Sure, I can go to sickbay, no problem, you'll Executive Order (XO) me before my turn begins."

Of course, you might argue that's what Ionian Nebula fixes. Yes and no. I still have mixed feelings about it, because to me that extra randomness introduced by the tokens, allies and finally the Crossroads phase might be just too much for a game that already has a lot of random to it.

Without further ado, here it goes

What you need:

Wound tokens (WT) - 3 for each player

Even pieces of paper do the trick, but I like these:
http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?sku=F...

Note: I think of the WT as wounds in general, so they can either be physical damage or psychological (do not distinguish between them)

Of course receiving a WT means taking one from the supply and placing it on your Character sheet, while removing does the other way round.

Changes to the game:

1) Each time a player is sent to Sickbay OR Brig he receives a WT

2) If a player remains in the Brig OR Sickbay after his action phase, he receives a WT

3) Sickbay location has an Action: remove all your WT, move to any location on Galactica. This MUST be your only action this turn, even if you were XO-ed or used a Critical Situation

4) Players having any WT can willingly move to the Sickbay (except from the Brig) and in doing so they do NOT receive an extra WT.

Effects of the wound tokens:

1 WT: none ( just a few bruises / minor trauma )
2 WT: none ( a bit more severe than above )
3 WT: Cannot pilot Vipers, Cylons cannot reveal, cannot activate certain locations (to be discussed which ones - some that make sense)
4 WT: Execution

Explanation & comments:

Staying in Sickbay will get you to accumulate wounds. How does this make sense? Well think of a patient refusing the treatment

I didn't want to make this too hard on humans, thus disabling Cylon reveal if too severely wounded. At the same time, the WT give an extra possibility to execute both humans and / or cylons.

In my opinion, this should also prevent players (be it Cylons or Humans) to just camp out in the Brig and XO people from there or make use of their abilities (Cylon Boomer comes to mind ...).

Extra thoughts:

-Maybe only 3 WT instead of 4, but this might be too easy to exploit.

-Maybe players that have WT and willingly go to the sickbay should be forced to activate it - otherwise Cylons might have a "safe" location for a few turns, where for example Cally wouldn't be able to reach them ... It could also mean easy suicide if someone wants to get rid of their personal goals / change Character.

-Perhaps if a player has 3 WT, he could automatically receive a 4th one if he doesn't attend to it soon enough.

That's that. All criticism is welcome

Version 1.1 changes:
1) Whenever a player is sent to Sickbay / Brig, he rolls a die: on a 1-3 he receives 2 WT, on a 4-7 he receives 1 WT and on a 8 he receives none.

2) The Sickbay has NO action. To heal 1 WT one must simply begin his turn in Sickbay (this way it's a bit more difficult to get healed). That being said, after you remove the last WT you are required to move out of the Sickbay.

3) In the Brig you still get 1 WT token by staying there after your action phase - however, in the Sickbay you don't.

4) When a players has 3 WT, he is unable to use his Once per Game ability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psiho333 wrote:
3) Sickbay location has an Action: remove all your WT, move to any location on Galactica. This MUST be your only action this turn, even if you were XO-ed or used a Critical Situation

2) If a player remains in the Brig OR Sickbay after his action phase, he receives a WT

That's contradictory.

I reversed the order of the bullet points to point out what would happen chronologically. A player would activate sickbay, remove all wound tokens, then gain a wound token. Thus, the action would never be able to fully heal a player without another player getting involved. That is not substantially different from the current situation.

This is easily solved by adding the same clause as a successful brig check: move to any location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomo Umer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hybridfive wrote:

I reversed the order of the bullet points to point out what would happen chronologically. A player would activate sickbay, remove all wound tokens, then gain a wound token. Thus, the action would never be able to fully heal a player without another player getting involved. That is not substantially different from the current situation.

You're right, I ordered them poorly.

What I meant is the following:
- If you Activate the Sickbay, you get healed and move out of it (same as moving from the Brig).

- Otherwise, if you stay there after the action (your turn only), you get another Wound Token.

Of course, the same would apply for the Brig. Namely, if you manage to get out, no new WT for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
hybridfive wrote:
psiho333 wrote:

That's contradictory.

This is easily solved by adding the same clause as a successful brig check: move to any location.

I'm confused. He does have the "move to any location on Galactica" clause in there. You even quoted it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I'm confused. He does have the "move to any location on Galactica" clause in there. You even quoted it.

Hmmm. I guess I misread it and he was right all along. The way it's worded was confusing to me, based on the second sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth's trauma rules accomplish something similiar for Ionian Nebula games, but for other endgames this could be an interesting thing. I'd offer to test it out, but my testing schedule is full (with Revelations games)

Anyway, I like the idea, if you test it, share the results!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomo Umer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably have time to test it this week-end. 1-2 games hopefully, and of course afterwards I'll post the results here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see a small theme problem with this... Why would waiting around in sickbay make your wounds worse? I get the gameplay reason, but it seems to me sitting in sickbay would heal you one wound at the cost of getting only 1 card that turn, while getting XOed out of sickbay would leave you wounded to do needed work. Spending an action in sickbay to heal all your wounds would obviously be hanging around for some intensive care, etc.

Right now it seems like hanging around in sickbay makes things worse, which makes no sense theme-wise. The doc certainly didn't keep the sickbay in that bad of condition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomo Umer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessmk2 wrote:
Right now it seems like hanging around in sickbay makes things worse, which makes no sense theme-wise. The doc certainly didn't keep the sickbay in that bad of condition!

Hehe, I can see your issues with it. It also doesn't quite function the way I hoped. Thanks for pointing it out. Your idea seems a good one, I'm including it in the version 1.1

Anyway, yesterday I tried out the game with 5 players. We played with both expansions, included everything except Ionian Nebula option and New Caprica.

The tokens had (almost) no effect whatsoever. No player got more than 2 tokens, and even those were easily healed (usually right away after landing in sickbay). And while I do want this addition to be simple enough, it still has to affect the game somehow. So I've edited the original post with proposed changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this mess things up:

(I was typing while thinking aloud ) Usually you can toss you whole hand into a skill check.
For each wound token, you maximum playable is reduced by 1 card.
A better way to state this, and one that might avoid issues with Brig, Cally or Gaeta is :

After you add skill cards to a check, you must still have 1 card per wound token remaining in your hand. If you cannot do so, you must play fewer cards or none at all.

Or even better, in order to slow down your exertions during interrupts:

Wound Tokens

a) Anyone involuntarily being moved to Sick Bay as a result of some other action, crisis or any other reason will DRAW 1 (or more?) wound tokens
b) At the start of any skill check,
- i) Place a number of skill cards face down equal to the number of wound tokens you possess.
(They still count as being in your hand for purposes of "Support the People" etc).
- ii) Play thru the skill check normally with the remaining cards in your hand (if any).
- iii) At the end of the skill check, return the face down cards to your hand.

Sick Bay Changes
Add the following Text to the Sick Bay Location:

Movement: Anyone voluntarily moving to Sick Bay move remove one wound token.

Action: Remain in Sick Bay for convalescence. Remove all Wound Tokens.

You could make a very interesting Doc Cottle to interact with the above mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomo Umer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
How does this mess things up:

Wound Tokens

a) Anyone involuntarily being moved to Sick Bay as a result of some other action, crisis or any other reason will DRAW 1 (or more?) wound tokens
b) At the start of any skill check,
- i) Place a number of skill cards face down equal to the number of wound tokens you possess.
(They still count as being in your hand for purposes of "Support the People" etc).
- ii) Play thru the skill check normally with the remaining cards in your hand (if any).
- iii) At the end of the skill check, return the face down cards to your hand.

Sick Bay Changes
Add the following Text to the Sick Bay Location:

Movement: Anyone voluntarily moving to Sick Bay move remove one wound token.

Action: Remain in Sick Bay for convalescence. Remove all Wound Tokens.

You could make a very interesting Doc Cottle to interact with the above mechanics.

An interesting idea, but I think this would tilt the balance towards Cylons. Also, it would hamper Cally and Roslin furthermore (imagine for example Cally with 2 WT -- she could only play cards in a skill check if she had 4 cards in hand or more !).

Also, for the moment I canceled the possibility to remove all WT instantly, because otherwise it is too easy to get rid of them. I'll think about it after the next playtest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Human actions are a precious commodity. So it's a high price to pay...

Or make it "remove up to 3 wound tokens". Now it's not instant cure, but close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.