1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Competitive dungeoncrawler/rpg boardgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leif Schelin
msg tools
Hello

I've been searching this site for a really good competitive rpg-game and i found some suggestions but Im not convinced for which one or if there isnt any better. I would like it to feature:

1) At least 4 players, rather up to 6
2) Indiviudal play or possibly competing teams, not coop vs dungeon
3) A definite end (winning criteria), i'd love to see multiple ways to win.
4) Character development (items, levels etc), each player starting with different characters
5) Somewhat focus on fighting, not so much mystery solving or talking to strangers. Action/tactics game.

Very simply put, a board game that reminds of Diablo computergames series. Creating an awesome champion to slay some monsters, evolving in power then finally finishing some difficult quest to win.

Some games have GMs as well, i havnt tried any of those so im open for the possibility.

Id also like it to have creative game mechanics, not take longer than maximum 5 hours to play and feature a high replayability (possibly through a changeable board). Expandability is also good.

Ive been using the advanced search, founding lots of games but none of them have convinced me entirely. I'll read some reviews of them as well...

This is the best of what I've found:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) (it doesnt say clearly if its coop or just individual play vs overlord...)
Catacombs
Zanziar (only this one seems more like a strategy game)
Dungeoneer Series
Magic Realm (seems a bit too complex and old)
Return of the Heroes
Prophecy

Any recommendations? Fitting games not listed? Which of the listed are really good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
check out the D&D adventure series. im a big fan of them.

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Schelin
msg tools
And Runebound (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Schelin
msg tools
I've read some about them, arent they entirely coop-based? Like 5players vs dungeon kind of game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Schelin
msg tools
Or is it just that D&D features both individual and coop play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's tough. Those D&D games are co-op, really. Descent is competitive as team of heroes versus overlord, and is really fun. There's a new one coming out in a few months.

Runebound is good, and competitive, but takes a thousand years with more than 2 or 3 players.

What about Mage Knight Board Game or Prophecy? Though they are best with fewer players, again 2 or 3.

Unfortunately, Magic Realm is the best fit for you, but the rules are hell. Second best fit: Descent: Journeys in the Dark. Because it is team versus overlord and plays well with 5. You will need the expansions, though, in my opinion, but that is a worthwhile investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent and the D&D games are coop (with the former being 1 vs. many).
As ever, I will recommend Mage Knight Dungeons. It is entirely competitive, no overlord required; it has leveling, loot, class specializations, loads of different characters to choose from, and a strong focus on combat. It's OOP, but worth tracking down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Smith
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played it personally, but Cutthroat Caverns might be a good fit? I know its a fantasy archetype dungeon crawlers where you are delving into a dungeon for loot. You have to work together to survive, at least until you don't. Then you backstab your buddy and try to get out with everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for the Dungeons and Dragons games. some of the best dungeon crawlers out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Schelin
msg tools
Do you know if Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd edition) is compatible with all the old expansions (made for 1st edition) or do you need the conversion kit? I've understood that the rules have changed quite a bit for the 2nd edition.

I am really interested in MageKnight: BoardGame, it seems quite cool .

Both of them have really high ratings so they are very likely to be good. In fact i may buy both of them...

Im not as convinced on Prophecy but it might be really good even though the rating is a bit lower. It seems like a bit simplier than the others and is also a bit cheaper, but i fear it might lack enough complexity, or it may be just what im after. Hard to say unless you play it.

Cutthroat caverns seems quite peculiar, a "kill-stealing game". I think there might be a bit too much of a backstabber atmosphere in there.

Thanks for your recommendations, i wont order today but reading this and some reviews helped sorting

Any comments on MageKnight the Boardgame, Prophecy or Descent(2nd edition)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Schelin
msg tools
Itd be fun to try out D&D sometime but that will have to wait until after my next purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Dungeon Run? It's co-op (sorta) through the first part of the dungeon, but then once one of the players finds the Summoning Stone then everyone jumps on them to try and prevent them from getting out of the dungeon with it. Characters do gain in abilities as they go through the dungeon, and you have to defeat a boss at the end to get the stone. Sounds like it might work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is some kind of conversion kit for the owners of Descent 1 who want to go to Descent 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Dungeon Run?

One to six players. Looks cooperative from the outside, but is a totally competetive parade of backstabbing. Characters can level and gain special abilities through collecting loot. Replayability due to tile-based board construction. Focus is on killing monsters, getting loot and then killing one another. And there's a definite end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironfoundersson wrote:
Do you know if Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2nd edition) is compatible with all the old expansions (made for 1st edition) or do you need the conversion kit? I've understood that the rules have changed quite a bit for the 2nd edition.

You need the conversion kit for 1st edition to be played with 2nd edition.

Ironfoundersson wrote:

Mage Knight complaints.

- Box can feel like there's moisture. I believe this is only in regards to preordered copies. Even then, open the box and let it dry out. For my own preordered copy, it was on my porch on a rainy day and it was perfectly dry. It helped that mine arrived later than others who preordered.

- Pieces might be missing and/or you get duplicates. Simply contact WizKids and they can help you out. Mine was all there. This is by no means a Mage Knight only type of issue.

- Card quality. You will want to sleeve them. Mine had a slight bend to them. If I had a complaint, it's here. The cards just feel odd.

- The same kind of coating that's on the cards are on other game pieces and they stick to each other. I had no issue getting them apart, so I find this to be a minor issue.

- Cost. All the more so considering issues with the components.

- The rule book could be better.

Saying that, you will be hard pressed to find people complaining about the game play itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Devine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bahimiron wrote:
How about Dungeon Run?

One to six players. Looks cooperative from the outside, but is a totally competetive parade of backstabbing. Characters can level and gain special abilities through collecting loot. Replayability due to tile-based board construction. Focus is on killing monsters, getting loot and then killing one another. And there's a definite end.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One not mentioned so far is ...

Tomb ... There are two versions of this that can be combined if desired and a third one on the way, but there is plenty of game in either. It has RPG elements but instead of controlling a single hero the player recruits a party of adventurers. It can be a brutal game and you can expect to lose party members but you can always go back to the tavern and recruit more. Finally, it is a competitive game with opportunities for some nasty interactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actually the D&D games have scenarios for 1 vs dungeon, team vs team, and team vs dungeon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Priks
Estonia
Tartu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the terrible rules +1 to Tomb or Tomb: Cryptmaster.

Not RPG but have rules for competitive deathmatch and capture the flag games Doom: The Boardgame + Doom: The Boardgame Expansion Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Giles
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
You could try Dwarven Dig! Certainly a competitive dungeon crawler with ONE winner. But doesn't have any loot-gathering or leveling.

I would also recommend Magic Realm, but it's been OOP for a very long time and the rules are RPG, not euro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ironfoundersson wrote:

(edit - referring to Mage Knight below)

It is up to 4 player max, keep that in mind with your group size. It can be a LONG and SLOW game at times.. I've never played it 4 player but I would imagine that would be quite long and slow. During a player's turn there is nothing for the other players to do, and there can be a lot of choices to make. AP players should avoid this or do like I do and play it solo only.

It is a great game otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirp wrote:
Despite the terrible rules +1 to Tomb or Tomb: Cryptmaster.

Yeah I think Tomb is definitely what the OP is looking for. Yeah the rules are terrible but I swear there's a good game in there somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you have room to add more criteria.

What else are you looking for in a game? What other games do you play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Lee
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Super Dungeon Explore
can be played 2-5 players
reminds me a lot of gauntlet the video game and diablo more so than descent
changeable boards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Ebonsword
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A slightly more obscure (but really quite good) game in the party-vs-DM genre is Dorn.

It plays substantially faster than, say, Descent, yet still has a nice amount of complexity to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.