Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Wong
Hong Kong
West Point
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone:

AGoT is soon becoming the favorite in my game group. Some of us don't have any CCG background and it took a while for everyone to get there, but once we got it, we all love the game (4 or 5 of us playing Melee capture the feel of the book nicely). This forum has been great, a big nod to every contributors, you guys are a great help!

But we still got some cards that we are not too sure what to do, hope you guys can help:

1) In a Melee game, cards like Seafarer's Bow (KotS) or Lethal Counterattack (Core), can they be used to interfere other challenges that my characters are not participating? E.g. A is the attacker, B is the defender, can I as C use these cards (or trigger related effects) in their challenges? This is significant for us because we play a lot of Melee games.

2) All our decks have '... Honor Guard'. I know they are not great card but with limited card pool and the Melee environment that we are in, it's a fun card. The problem we have is, say A is defending with B's Honor Guard; A won, but the attacker has Deadly, does the Honor Guard stays around till Deadly triggers or it is returned to the owner 'immediately' after the current controller wins the challenge?

3) Joffery Baratheon (KotS), the one with King trait. While the card has not specify, we just 'assume' that the gold tokens that Joffery received cannot be use for effect or paying for cost, and all the coins will return to the pool at Taxation phase. Are we playing him right?

4) Khal Drogo (Core) effects seems to imply two things, 1) he pops out from my hand after I win a challenger, 2) he pops back into my hand at the end of the phase. Our question is, must they all take effect? Can I put him out after I win a challenge and let him stay in play at the end of the phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agape wrote:
1) In a Melee game, cards like Seafarer's Bow (KotS) or Lethal Counterattack (Core), can they be used to interfere other challenges that my characters are not participating? E.g. A is the attacker, B is the defender, can I as C use these cards (or trigger related effects) in their challenges? This is significant for us because we play a lot of Melee games.

Try to take cards as literally as possible. If it doesn't say "in a challenge you are participating in" (or something like that), then it's fair game, and one of the cool things about melee.

Agape wrote:
2) All our decks have '... Honor Guard'. I know they are not great card but with limited card pool and the Melee environment that we are in, it's a fun card. The problem we have is, say A is defending with B's Honor Guard; A won, but the attacker has Deadly, does the Honor Guard stays around till Deadly triggers or it is returned to the owner 'immediately' after the current controller wins the challenge?

This is an example of a lasting effect created by the player trigger. In this case the "After..." portion of the effect will trigger as a passive after the resolution of the framework event with all the other passives, including deadly. Order of passives is resolved by the first player.

Agape wrote:
3) Joffery Baratheon (KotS), the one with King trait. While the card has not specify, we just 'assume' that the gold tokens that Joffery received cannot be use for effect or paying for cost, and all the coins will return to the pool at Taxation phase. Are we playing him right?

No, it stays on him because it is an effect triggered by his ability. Only gold in your gold pool, not on cards, goes back to the bank.

Agape wrote:
4) Khal Drogo (Core) effects seems to imply two things, 1) he pops out from my hand after I win a challenger, 2) he pops back into my hand at the end of the phase. Our question is, must they all take effect? Can I put him out after I win a challenge and let him stay in play at the end of the phase?

The effect has to fully resolve. You don't have the option of putting him back into your hand because you used his triggered effect, so it has to resolve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are some good questions. I recommend you download, read, and become familiar with the FAQ especially in terms of the timing stuff and the "framework windows." Your questions show that you have done this, but the more cards you get the trickier this stuff will get and the player familiar with the rules has a decided advantage! The FAQ timing sheet should be treated with the same authority as the Core set rule book.

Some important things to keep straight:

Passive effects vs. Triggered effects
Order of effects (first player resolves)
Opportunity for save/cancel vs. Opportunity for response
Limitations on participating characters vs. any character (esp. in melee)
Rules regarding titles in melee
Action windows

And so on. Glad to hear you're enjoying the game! I sure do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Wong
Hong Kong
West Point
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the speedy reply, it definitely clear things up (our melee will never be the same again devil), except for Joffery:

1) If those gold tokens stay on him, won't he be huge, and I mean HUGE, in several rounds (may be that's the point?!)? Unless we are playing him all wrong. If A is controlling Joffery (and he is the only king), B plays a 3 cost character, Joffery will gain 3 gold tokens on himself, making him STR 4, right? This could add up quickly (even though it's limited once per round ability).

2) With all the gold tokens not being taken away by taxation, does it mean I can use them for Marshaling or all those Lannister effects (similar to Tywin Lannister (Core))?

3) Also, Joffery's text seems to be in two paragraph, 'being the only king' part enable him to gain in STR, can the Response part function regardless of him being the only king or not?

This is the one character that keep us puzzling whenever he is in play.

I tried the FAQ, but man, it's not the most user-friendly thing to read. But thanks for the suggested topics, now at least I can have some sort of focus on what to look for first. Will give it another try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes he can get big, but there are plenty of ways to deal with him
2) The gold isn't in your gold pool and can't be spent, they are basically just counters. He would actually need text like Tywin's to be able to spend it.
3) yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Wong
Hong Kong
West Point
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'they are basically just counters', this helps a lot, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.