Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division» Forums » Rules

Subject: op fire rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a unit is moving multiple hexes, can enemy units op fire for each hex it moves or only after movement is finished ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Any enemy unit can fire on you in each hex you move into, as long as said units remain unspent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a stab at this.

The answer should be 'each hex', with as many units that the Inactive player chooses to make Op Fire attacks (provided he pays the cost of 0, 1 or 2 per unit). However, he risks rolling equal to or less then the Op Firing unit's 'Rate of Fire' number with either die, thus placing a 'Spent' marker on it for the rest of the Active player's Move / Assault order, and rendering that same unit ineligible for further Op Fire attacks (on that unit or any other Activated unit).

Once an Unit activated for a Movement or Assault order enters a hex, the Inactive player may make 1 Op Fire attack with _each_ eligible friendly unit (those without 'Spent' and 'Hit' markers that prevent Firing, those within range and Line of Sight, etc.) against any / all Active Player units in that new hex, but after all Inactive unit attacks are declared against that hex, the Inactive player may not make further Op Fire attacks against units there during the Active player's Move / Assault order, until the latter moves units in that hex into a new (adjacent) hex, where the process above begins again.

Note also that the Inactive player may only make Op Fire attacks against the Active player's units that expend 1 or more movement points (whether they spend them in their 'start' hex or they move into a 'new' hex); but the Inactive player may attack any Active player units during 'Return Fire'. See the rules for Opportunity and Return Fire for the Inactive player.

Thus, the Inactive player may make Op Fire attacks with any eligible units against Activated units whenever the Activated units expend movement points, either to enter a 'new' hex or if they expend them in their current / 'start' hex, by pivoting or for any other reason.

Quote:
...the Inactive player may make 1 Op Fire attack against any / all Active Player units in that hex with any eligible units...

The inactive player is not limited to just one Op fire attack per MP expenditure. (Though this is true for Return fire during an oppponent's Fire order.)[/q]

Thanks, Chad. Yes, I meant to say this as well.

[Edited to fix mistakes brought to my attention. Further edits will fix further mistakes.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the fast reply. Makes sense, but involves lots more work !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...with as many units that the Inactive player chooses to activate for Op Firing...

Op fire and Return fire do not activate those units. They keep their front (non-striped) side face up.

Quote:
...the Inactive player may make 1 Op Fire attack against any / all Active Player units in that hex with any eligible units...

The inactive player is not limited to just one Op fire attack per MP expenditure. (Though this is true for Return fire during an oppponent's Fire order.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To summarize and please correct me if I am wrong:
For each hex a unit moves all enemy units with los and proper ammo and range can op fire. So if a tank moves 10 hexes and there are 6 enemy units eligible to op fire, theoretically, there could be 60 instances of op fire for that one tank moving 10 hexes.

I do understand the potential downside of doing all that op firing i.e. becoming spent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Spot on, Kenneth.

Lesson learned: suppress as many as possible of those six enemy units before moving into their kill zones.

(by the way, another potential downside to all that Op firing is that the inactive player may be spending a significant amount of Initiative...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
Spot on, Kenneth.

Lesson learned: suppress as many as possible of those six enemy units before moving into their kill zones.

(by the way, another potential downside to all that Op firing is that the inactive player may be spending a significant amount of Initiative...)

It also shows the value of having (or placing any available) Tactical Command markers and thus avoid paying any Initiative Cost, and allow the Inactive player to make full use of his eligible firing units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.