Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich
United States
Plymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey BGG! My buddy and I just played through the Sands of Al-Kalim expansion for the first time and came up with a few questions the rulebook does not seem to help. I realize that these may be up to interpretation - but where rulebooks and FAQs fail I'm open to personal opinions as well.

1) Aurim the Sorcerer vs The Hydra (Red) - Aurim has a power where he can spend 1 Mana in order to skip the melee phase. The hydra says you and you allies must fight in all phases - even when you're having your ally attack that phase. Does the Hydra invalidate Aurim's power? IMO, it seems like the INTENT of the Hydra was to make all heroes and allies need to at least defend every phase, but that Aurim's power was not considered.

2) If you use the magic lamp to copy another legendary card (or the merchant legendary ally to do the same) you get that card's 'abilities'. How does this translate with copying legendary allies (or the war elephant)? Do you gain just their passive bonuses, or also their combat stats? If you gain the combat stats, can the lamp be 'killed' and removed from play (as legendary allies can)?

3) Are you limited to the use of only one of each consumable each turn, or can you stack them? There doesn't seem a rule against it, but just checking.

4)
A)When spending a higher-number adventure token to level up, it currently looks as if you HAVE to take it as your legendary card limit / ambush monster token. Is this the case?
B) The wording is a bit different on your first level up, where it says "a token" is placed that way, rather than "the highest token". Does that mean you can choose on your first lvl?

5) Do you "get change" for XP when you level by the rules? Typically, this is how we play, as even if its a houserule it speeds up the game a little, and not in an ubalanced way.

6) I know this relates to the first game as well, but we were having difficulty determining how often hero and ally abilities can be used during challenges. Just once per round? Once Per combat? Do they also take up that equipment activation spot? Does it depend how the power is worded?

Thanks all for any insight you can give!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Plymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: An additional question...

7) Many yellows state that thereafter you keep the card and then "if you have leg quest x AND leg quest Y discard them during your experience step". Does this mean you only discard them if you have both - since there is no OR or AND/OR qualifier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyRich428 wrote:
1) Aurim the Sorcerer vs The Hydra (Red) - Aurim has a power where he can spend 1 Mana in order to skip the melee phase. The hydra says you and you allies must fight in all phases - even when you're having your ally attack that phase. Does the Hydra invalidate Aurim's power? IMO, it seems like the INTENT of the Hydra was to make all heroes and allies need to at least defend every phase, but that Aurim's power was not considered.

If you skip a phase, then I don't see how you can be forced to attack in it. When you skip a phase it's as if that phase didn't happen, and therefore couldn't be considered under "every phase.

CrazyRich428 wrote:
2) If you use the magic lamp to copy another legendary card (or the merchant legendary ally to do the same) you get that card's 'abilities'. How does this translate with copying legendary allies (or the war elephant)? Do you gain just their passive bonuses, or also their combat stats? If you gain the combat stats, can the lamp be 'killed' and removed from play (as legendary allies can)?

I don't have the game in front of me. Could you post the exact wording of the lamp?

CrazyRich428 wrote:
3) Are you limited to the use of only one of each consumable each turn, or can you stack them? There doesn't seem a rule against it, but just checking.

You can use any amount of consumables any time (unless they are limited to a specific phase). Only activate-to-use items are limited to use. You could theoretically save up a bunch of explosives and use them on the end guy without throwing a punch.

CrazyRich428 wrote:
4)
A)When spending a higher-number adventure token to level up, it currently looks as if you HAVE to take it as your legendary card limit / ambush monster token. Is this the case?
B) The wording is a bit different on your first level up, where it says "a token" is placed that way, rather than "the highest token". Does that mean you can choose on your first lvl?

Yes, you HAVE to take it as your legendary limit. EDIT: Think of the quest tile as just as counter of the highest thing you've defeated and used to level. It's under the impression that if you can beat one yellow, you can beat any amount of yellows.

CrazyRich428 wrote:
5) Do you "get change" for XP when you level by the rules? Typically, this is how we play, as even if its a houserule it speeds up the game a little, and not in an ubalanced way.

Yes. It shouldn't interfere with the quest tile either because you only make change on a level up anyway. Really you need to think of the quest tile as just a marker, and it's not actually relevant to the specific counter you have in your hand. Say, for example, you have a green counter on your quest tile, a yellow in your hand, and you defeat a yellow (in a 5 player game where you need three to level). You would have 2 yellow tokens, level, put a yellow token on the quest tile, and take a green back.

CrazyRich428 wrote:
6) I know this relates to the first game as well, but we were having difficulty determining how often hero and ally abilities can be used during challenges. Just once per round? Once Per combat? Do they also take up that equipment activation spot? Does it depend how the power is worded?

Player abilities can be used as many times as you want unless otherwise stated. It will say "this ability can only be used once per turn" if they meant to limit it. Further, you have to be sure to watch the timing of the ability. If it's a "Magic:" ability, you can only use it during the magic phase. EDIT: They do not count as activate-to-use abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyRich428 wrote:
7) Many yellows state that thereafter you keep the card and then "if you have leg quest x AND leg quest Y discard them during your experience step". Does this mean you only discard them if you have both - since there is no OR or AND/OR qualifier?

Yes both. Plain reading of AND is both, plus I've played through this, and having it be either/or would really be too harsh and drag the game out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read up on the official FAQ/errata. Regarding the Hydra, it's that ALL of your allies must attack in every phase. So if you have 2 allies, they both attack in ranged, they both attack in melee, and they both attack in magic. If you skipped melee, then you skipped melee. No problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.