Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that Google+ came preinstalled on my LG Thrill phone, and I decided to check it out. I set it up and now I have no idea what to do with it...(To be honest I doubt I'll use it that much.)

So, is anyone here familiar with Google+...? What do you use it for?

Thanks,
jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Google+ is nice, I like it better than facebook, but there are far fewer people there. That's nice in a way because most of my facebook friends, I don't really care about. I have a few go playing friends who are on google+, a couple of BGGers who post occasionally, and Linus Torvalds. That's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

I use it specifically for interacting with BoardGameGeek users, the main reason for which is only BGG users seem to use G+.

I follow 25 or 30 people, roughly 10 of which are active, and most of them are Chit Chatters. Oh, and I follow a couple of minor geek celebrities: Wil Wheaton and Felicia Day - they are *very* active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
My circle of friends here in Seattle are all on G+, but my former high school/college people are not. I dunno, it's a decent platform for sharing pics, links, rants, news, and you can control who sees what content. I think Google intends it to be a connection-maker, instead of an old-friend-finder, but that's likely spin since Facebook already has your old friends, and most of them won't ever jump ship.

Check out the "What's Hot"/Explore tab for up-voted content across the platform. And beware of following Felicia Day/Wil Wheaton, since 90% of the posts you'll see will be from one of them. This is all they do. It will make you hate them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would post much more to G+ if most of my fb friends were on there. It seems there are only about four of my BGG friends who actually post to G+, so I'm not on there as much as I was planning on being.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Google+ would give me the Facebook experience on a smaller scale which was ideal for me. Unfortunately, it seems that there are only about 2 posts per day from my friends, and one of those is a duplicate of something the person also posted on Facebook. As a result I haven't logged onto it in months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I dig Google+, but that's because it seems it's mostly populated by techie and artsy types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted more on Google+ until I found pinterest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't Faceplant, and my sons have tried to talk me into Google + and that is a resounding "no."

The world is becoming a very non-personal place. I don't want it. I like seeing people eye-to-eye
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I got an account on Google + and have not used it other than to put people in circles. Frankly it is of no value to me whatsoever as everyone I know who has it is on facebook.

Oh, and as to Andy's comment I find that facebook facilitates rather than detracts from my interpersonal relationships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I got an account on Google + and have not used it other than to put people in circles. Frankly it is of no value to me whatsoever as everyone I know who has it is on facebook.

Oh, and as to Andy's comment I find that facebook facilitates rather than detracts from my interpersonal relationships.

I can't really disagree with you as I don't use it, but the thought of using it creeps me out for some reason.

I am used to a world with some semblance of privacy - I know, I'm a geezer.

But hey, to each his own. If it works for 845 million people, there must be something there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
frumpish wrote:

I can't really disagree with you as I don't use it, but the thought of using it creeps me out for some reason.

I am used to a world with some semblance of privacy - I know, I'm a geezer.

But hey, to each his own. If it works for 845 million people, there must be something there.

Oh, I'm certainly not an evangelist for it.

But I will say that facebook has far more privacy than the geek does. Every profile and everything posted on this site is accessible to anyone with an internet connection, and they don't even have to have an account here to view the data.

facebook on the other hand has a lot of privacy controls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried Google+ and I felt it was basically Facebook light, not doing anything different then Facebook already does, less even. So there is no real draw to pull people away from Facebook.

Google appears to feel that the main draw to Google+ is that it's not facebook.

Don't forget, this is Google's third or fourth attempt at a social network.

They also have Orkut, which apparently is popular in India, but is not here (most have never even heard of it). Then there was Google Buzz which was a huge f**k up by Google, then there was Google Wave, which was supposed to revolutionize the internet, and then they canned it.

I like google products, but they're marketing has much to desire. Their whole idea is that we'll throw stuff out onto the internet, and just let word of mouth generate a buzz. Well that doesn't always work, and sometimes even backfires.

I've been using Google Docs for a few years now, but most people I know don't even know it exists. Much less Google Translate and various other apps on the google site.

I heard Google+ had some sort of update, but I haven't been back to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Gmail as my primary email store because using IMAP I can access it on my phone and using thunderbird on my home and work PCs... Similarly I use google calendar which is synched to my phone and to Thunderbird (and Outlook at work). I also use google docs and recently google drive.

Therefore it made sense for me to extend my google account to google+ since I am constantly logged in to google. I have circled a number of RLfriends and BGG users, but I don't post on G+ as these days I generally use twitter ( => facebook ).

The one thing I like about having people on G+ is that it brings through their profile photo to my phone's address book... I'm sure the facebook app would do the same, but I do not want to link my facebook to my phone, because I have far too many facebook 'friends' that I just don't need to have as contacts in my phone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

There's a lot of facebook hate here. There's a lot that facebook does very badly or they're just plain evil about.

But when I've lived in eight different states, facebook is the only way I can keep up with my friends. There has been so much good that's come out of facebook. My friends and I "see" each other more now!

And I'm not sure that my best friend from college and I would have met up with each other in Memphis two days ago when we were both in town. We were in college in Mississippi together, and she now lives in New Hampshire.

And I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be giving a guest lecture over Skype to Indonesia in the near future. My friend from grad school (Knoxville, Tennessee) moved back home there after she graduated.

And I've gotten advice and encouragement over facebook for so many things.

I'm sure you could say that all of that could have been done over email or the phone, but frankly, I know it wouldn't have happened. Facebook allows you to post little things that go on throughout your daily life. That's not going to happen in email. I'm not going to email everyone and tell them something cute my son did -- or ask them their advice on a problem I'm having. By maintaining that relationship via facebook, RL meetings happen and teleconferences happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... Having moved from the US to the UK, my wife uses facebook all the time to keep in touch with family and friends in a way that she really couldn't using most of the other social media sites or other forms of communication.. so I definitely see a place for it. I also use it quite a bit myself to keep up with RL friends and BGG 'friends'... and most of our church is on there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
...The world is becoming a very non-personal place. I don't want it. I like seeing people eye-to-eye

I was very much against Facebook, but then my teenage daughter got an account and so she was required to friend me so that I could 'monitor' her activities. That meant I had to get an account. I'm on WAY more then I'd like to be, but still don't post much.

I few friends say Google+ is sooo much better, but they still use facebook too. So, until I find out that my daughter has started a google+ account, I don't need to sigh up there.

(I just need to figure out how to monitor her on Tumblr.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had strong hopes for G+ when it first was released. I also enjoyed the idea of getting away from FB and making G+ more of a closer friend area. To keep it more restricted and not so messy with random bs from the chick that had a class with me, 15 years ago, who assumes we are friends because of that..

But honestly I hardly login anymore. When I do, I see posts I saw from weeks before. Which tells me, nobody is choosing to use it as much as FB

I kind of wish people did use it more than I see

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Djcheddar wrote:
I had strong hopes for G+ when it first was released. I also enjoyed the idea of getting away from FB and making G+ more of a closer friend area. To keep it more restricted and not so messy with random bs from the chick that had a class with me, 15 years ago, who assumes we are friends because of that..

But honestly I hardly login anymore. When I do, I see posts I saw from weeks before. Which tells me, nobody is choosing to use it as much as FB

I kind of wish people did use it more than I see

you know you can block status' from facebook friends right?

I had a friend of my wife's who's status updates were always about how bad her headache was today. Literally every day was "head hurts" and "got another migraine" and "ugh, why won't these stop" etc. etc.

It got tiresome to even look at, so I blocked her.

Another friend of my wife's got into Epicure. It's sort of like Pampered Chef, but for food additives, spices, sauces, side meals etc. Every post of hers was about some promotion she was having etc. I understand she's trying to further her business, but she's going about it the wrong way. She should make an epicure page, and a twitter account and ask friends to join that. Not use her own personal status for that stuff.

I had to block her as well.

Then another posted lolcat pictures constantly, yea, you have to go too.

Also, people were so impressed with Google+ having "circles" to organize your friends. However Facebook has had this sort of organization for a long time. You can make groups and group your friends. Not sure what is so different in Google+, except that this option is a bit more visual.

I have all my friends grouped, and I limit certain groups from seeing certain things.

If you want to bitch about your boss and co-workers on facebook, make sure they are all in a "co-worker" group and post "my co-workers are all a$$es" and limit the post from them. Easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I'm aware, just lazy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.